127 lbs lost, yet still a failure

Options

Replies

• BV1980
    BV1980 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm not being narrow minded. I just wanted something special. Some girls dream about their wedding day all their life. Well, some guys daydream about that too. I am one of them. I wanted to experience it all together with someone for the first time, not be their second or third choice. It's like when you have a new coworker who is hired. All they talk about is well at my last job this or at my last job that. I don't want to be with someone who just compares me to their last husband. Or while planning the wedding it's like they have been there and done that. It would be all new and exciting to me but not so much for them. I think it loses that something special if it isn't the first time. I want to experience those firsts together. Instead I am the inexperienced one who missed out on it all and now have to settle for someone who has seen and done it all already so it isn't as special anymore.And it is not just the wedding, but married life too. I would feel like I am being compared to previous husbands. It's not what I want. And since it isn't what is available to me I guess, then I have a long road of loneliness and disappointment ahead. I have no idea what I will do with my life. Everything I have done was with the goal of being married someday in mind. I don't know. It's all very depressing these days. I missed out because I was so overweight back in my 20s when everyone was meeting someone and experiencing those firsts. I tried. I asked out girls in college. I was just always rejected. It's not like I have myself to blame for not trying or putting myself out there. I have myself to blame for being fat. Guys aren't wanted when they are fat like I was. My underlying issues of depressing and loneliness led me to that. It's still my fault. I wish I would've not been so afraid and found an outlet in the college gym or joined the weightlifting club or something like that, but I didn't do that. I was on my own and very intimidated. I am different now, but it seems I am too late. I either have to settle and not really get what I was looking for, or I have to be alone. I hate it. I hate that that outlook so much.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight transformation.

Good for you that you have managed your career and your finances so handily.

You may not be doing anything wrong in the relationship department. Each date is unique and there’s this thing called free will.

Might I suggest a club? I’m loving Toastmasters right now and it’s pretty welcoming. I was chatting with a veteran Toastmaster the other day and he says the club allows people to really be themselves. The first speech is an ice breaker where you get to talk all about you, to an appreciative audience. It only goes up from there.
  • BobPulaski
    BobPulaski Posts: 56 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'll try to keep this short so you don't have to read another novel.

You have accomplished a GREAT amount regarding weight loss and your career. You are a stable guy and I hate to say it but the solid bank account and 401k are going to help you with the ladies (especially if you date ones around your age). Don't advertise it obviously but if you get serious with a woman she'll find out.

As far as the ladies not being interested, being polite and a little good old-fashioned manners are good practices but you also can't seem like you're desperate to please a woman or a sissy (for lack of a better term). This doesn't mean you have to act like Donald Trump but you need a backbone and they will respect that. If they don't and want to be boss and totally in charge of 100% of everything you don't need that anyway.
  • amyjsparkles
    amyjsparkles Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    First, it's amazing that you have lost that much, that is amazing. I was married for 15 years and then after my divorce, being thrown out into the dating scene has pretty much been a disaster. But I still have hope. I think sometimes it can just take a long while to find someone who is right for you. I can tell you from having a bad experience that it's better off to be alone than to be with someone who is mean to you, or who doesn't really want you. I really hope that you can find someone. Maybe you should broaden your horizons. Maybe the women you are choosing just aren't right for you. I know everyone seems to have a "type" that they like, but maybe you might want to change it up a little. Just to see what's out there. Good luck to you!
  • affirmationguy
    affirmationguy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss, that is significant and wonderful! You’ve received some wonderful advice... And you can do this, but let me make a few observations.

1) Do NOT equate losing weight with being able to find a satisfying relationship. Not that you are, but many people fall into the mindset trap of needing to be at a certain weight to find love. Not so.
    2) In addition to owning your personal development, realize that you will be working on yourself for many years to come. Many. In fact, the rest of your life, which means that, “it ain’t over ‘till it’s over!”
    3) I think some of the best advice you’ve received from this post is to look in places you haven’t truly looked before. That’s where the gold is!

Never feel bad for your progress, it's progress... no matter how slow! And best of luck with your finding love, and again, well done on your significant and wonderful weight loss!
  • r0ck3rgirl
    r0ck3rgirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with seeing a doctor for depression. With lots of weightloss comes lots of changes to your body including sometimes hormones and brain chemistry. If your body was not producing enough insulin most people wouldn't think twice about going to a doctor. A chemical deficiency in your brain is no different and there's no shame in it. Before love, before anything I urge you to see a doctor about if you have depression or a hormone imbalance. Please take care of you! You're important and feeling better is important.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    BV1980 wrote: »
    I'm not being narrow minded. I just wanted something special. Some girls dream about their wedding day all their life. Well, some guys daydream about that too. I am one of them. I wanted to experience it all together with someone for the first time, not be their second or third choice. It's like when you have a new coworker who is hired. All they talk about is well at my last job this or at my last job that. I don't want to be with someone who just compares me to their last husband. Or while planning the wedding it's like they have been there and done that. It would be all new and exciting to me but not so much for them. I think it loses that something special if it isn't the first time. I want to experience those firsts together.

Just to respond to a couple of comments about what you are looking doesn't exist. I am over 35, never been married, never had children. I know a few women who are the same. Some of my friends are getting married for the first time in their late 30s, early 40s and having their first child then (or not).

OTOH, maybe her (your potential wife that you are dismissing) first time sucked and she really would appreciate a do over. If she is divorced for example it's likely that even if there is comparison you'll come up on top. Wouldn't that be nice? That someone who has been there is possibly wiser chose you!? and is happy with that choice more than the first time around? (I remember the proposal in the movie "Stepmom").
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    good job on your weight loss though! keep up the good work.
    I had typed something else but then felt it was too personal to put online. Sorry that now my comment is useless.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    In my experience, people are attracted to happiness and confidence. I could go long periods of time without a girlfriend and it certainly felt like nobody wanted me. After I'd find myself in a relationship (and not actively seeking to find someone), I'd start getting hints from other ladies that seemed interested.

It'll happen when you least expect it. Maybe for now, you need to work (a bad word for it) more on being happy solo. Find hobbies that you like. Stay active and fit. Maybe start going to concerts or the theater or more public activities / exercising. For a random example, I've enjoyed doing the Yelp Elite member thing and then meeting new people from my town at their official and unofficial events.

Hang in there. You're doing "the lord's work," as I've heard said.