Exercise how long in the gym

sllewellyn2
sllewellyn2 Posts: 9 Member
edited October 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
How long should i do weights in the gym? I spend approx 45 minutes to complete my routine is that enough?15 mins cardio 30 mins on weights.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Depends on your goals, your capabilities, your program, how many days a week you train.....
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    How long is a bit of string??
    Some days I can get a quick lifting session done in 20mins, others I'm more thorough and can spend 2 hours (working legs to exhaustion ready to simulate running on tired legs in the last miles of a marathon). It all depends how much time you have and what your actual goals are.
    Me, I'm currently using lifting to sculpt my body and strengthen my legs for running, so that's why leg days are generally longer than upper body. When I was power lifting I'd spend about an hour 3x a week.
  • sllewellyn2
    thanks for advice and answers.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    thanks for advice and answers.

But you aren't going to answer any of the questions people have asked....?
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Gym visits and any other exercise I manage to do (still extremely morbidly obese) are done so they make me feel better, stronger, healthier. Sometimes 15 minutes on the stationary bicycle is enough for me, but I can stay in the swimming pool (water aerobics - love them!) for 2 hours and longer. Like a walrus! Takes most of my weight away and I can dance like a prima donna on stage. Marvelous!
  • sllewellyn2
    To answer some question I do Elitemens training, 3x 30 mins a week all approx 40 kg on bench,shoulder press ,rrowing,leg press inclie bench press,bicep curls 20 kg
    Plus 35 kg on pull downst the warm up is 15 mins on treadmill walking at speed but not running.Need to lose weight.
    All done on gym machines.
    Thanks again
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited October 2018
    FWIW my gym sessions are: Weights StrongLifts 5x5 45 minutes, including two auxiliary lifts each session; 15 minutes rowing and about fifteen minutes cool down and stretching. An hour to and hour and a quarter. Alternate days I run about an hour.
  • VickMacAttack
    VickMacAttack Posts: 7 Member
    45 min is plenty of time if you go in there with a plan. Leave the phone in the truck. Get in, get out
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2018
    45 min is plenty of time if you go in there with a plan. Leave the phone in the truck. Get in, get out

But I need my phone to track what I've done. Especially as I'm using the strong lifts app.

Not sure what folks who drive a car would do...... :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited October 2018
    I work out at home so I have the option to split up my lifting workouts if I want, which I do, because I don't want to wake up any earlier than I already do. So I do my lifting routine for about 30-40 minutes in the morning and then I usually go back down there after work and knock out a couple more things that I didn't get to, which only takes 15-20 minutes. I also run on alternating days. How much time you work out really depends what you're doing and how long that takes. Most lifting programs usually take 30 min. to an hour I would say?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member

But I need my phone to track what I've done. Especially as I'm using the strong lifts app.

Right?!? I track my workout on my phone app. And listen to podcasts as I workout. I can't do either of those without my phone. :(
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I use my phone every few weeks to video myself doing some of the lifts and then watch them to make sure my form isn't breaking down as the bar gets heavier. I've heard a lot of stories about people throwing their backs out, and I don't want to be one of them.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    I work out in my basement and I Don't have a mirror so I literally video myself every single time I do squats lol. I also play on my phone while I'm "resting" in between. I'm sure that adds on extra time because I get carried away but oh well!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

Right?!? I track my workout on my phone app. And listen to podcasts as I workout. I can't do either of those without my phone. :(

My earbuds have 4 gb so I can listen to music without my phone. Don't really do podcasts. It's nice for running so I don't need to run with the freaking big phone I have (S9+) but yeah I use it at the gym.