Abundance of protein and not calories?

Can I build muscle if I intake a surplus of protein but just keep my calories at maintenance?

Replies

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    This sounds like a recomp to me. It is possible gain muscle while eating at maintenance or just slightly over but it is verrrrrrry slow. Be sure to lift heavy and progressively, which it looks like you've got covered if that is you in the profile pic.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Yes that’s me. I’m just trying to gain muscle without fat.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    This sounds like a recomp to me. It is possible gain muscle while eating at maintenance or just slightly over but it is verrrrrrry slow. Be sure to lift heavy and progressively, which it looks like you've got covered if that is you in the profile pic.

What is a recomp?
  • born_of_fire74
    edited October 2018
    jswigart wrote: »

What is a recomp?

Short for body recomposition. It’s basically the bulk and cut cycle’s slower brother. You eat at maintnenance or slightly over to lose fat and gain muscle more or less simultaneously. It works if you stick with it but you must be prepared for the long haul as it is a slow process. This thread explains it more thoroughly and should help you get started if you decide to go that route:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Here is an example of another member’s very successful recomp:
  • born_of_fire74
    ukpmh9zj7h8x.jpeg
  • born_of_fire74
    Argh, sorry for the split post and the edits.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited October 2018
    The photo attribution should go to @mum23mangos I believe.

Here is the thread.

Whoops, I will go and re link.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10698672/maintenance-failure-gained-all-the-weight-back-w-pics#latest

@jswigart, I know you have been posting about trying to gain more muscle since at least July. Back then you were advised to get your testosterone checked as you were wondering about OTC test enhancers.

If you are already getting around 1.2g protein per lbs LBW I don't think you will profit from taking it much higher.

Recomp has been mentioned, but I think that is what you have been doing so far (correct me if I am wrong), it may be time for you to consider a bulk.

Raising your cals by 250 should not increase your fat levels too much, and you may start seeing the gains you have been chasing. If you find after a few months that you are uncomfortable with the fat to muscle ratio, a small cut of a few lbs will get you back to where you are now.
    Because of your frustration I think it may be worth a try.

Back to protein. How are you eating it?
    From previous reading I found that being older (65) it was preferable to eat it in 30-35g meals as opposed to 15 here 25 there. This is because as we age we don't synthesize it as well as leucine is less abundant.

(If anyone has the paper talking about this I would really appreciate it being posted)

Have you ever outlined your lifting history and detailed the programme you are following now so others may give you any pointers needed?

Cheers, h.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Studies have shown as early as 40 and more predominantly 50+ we lose muscle rather quickly. There is also plenty of data that show as we get closer to advanced age, not only do we need more protien than previously, but we need better quality to prevent this and to optimize muscle protien synthesis. Something just a tad over a gram of protien per pound of body weight should get you in the ball park if your goal is hypertrophy.

Recomp is a decent option especially if your bf% is fairly low to start, but it takes much longer than if you were to bulk/cut instead. If you were to chose go the bulk route, if you keep your surplus moderate...you will gain less fat. Something in the area of 10% over your TDEE is decent to target.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Studies have shown as early as 40 and more predominantly 50+ we lose muscle rather quickly. There is also plenty of data that show as we get closer to advanced age, not only do we need more protien than previously, but we need better quality to prevent this and to optimize muscle protien synthesis. Something just a tad over a gram of protien per pound of body weight should get you in the ball park if your goal is hypertrophy.

Recomp is a decent option especially if your bf% is fairly low to start, but it takes much longer than if you were to bulk/cut instead. If you were to chose go the bulk route, if you keep your surplus moderate...you will gain less fat. Something in the area of 10% over your TDEE is decent to target.

Agree! A lean bulk is faster.
  • born_of_fire74
    It’s interesting that I see unattributed photos used around these forums all the time but the two times I’ve used mom23mangos photos, people have popped in to inform everyone whose photos they are. I was just involved in another discussion where a poster pulled 3 sets of before and afters but no one showed up to tell us who they belong to. No disrespect intended to mom23mangos or anyone else looking out for her but is there some reason it’s very important people know those are her photos?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    The other photos are. in general, unattributed pulled from the web. Mom23mangos is an active poster on this forum.
    There is sometimes a photo used as an example of a woman that is part of the Nerdfitness website team. She, and the website, are usually named.

Cheers, h.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Essential fat consumption/deficiency is almost unheard of outside of malnourishment/starvation. Hitting around 25-30g/day is generally sufficient and allows one to have greater flexibility in changing up protein & carbohydrate intake (a dietary too/strategy that can be quite handy).

Broscience does not provide much context on quantity...but there is much logical fallacy in that fat consumption is extremely important simply due to being essential (without much thought on quantity)