Hibernation Mode

Options
Help! I started MFP several months ago with good success. By that I mean slow but pretty steady progress. Now fall hits and all of a sudden I could eat all day every day and the scale says that’s pretty much what I’m doing. 🙁
I am hungry ALL the time. Does anyone else struggle like this when colder weather moves in? Any tips are welcome!

Replies

• 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yes i struggle with the same thing. Very low seasonal energy ... lots of snuggling up on the couch (and of course with snacks!)

The remedy ? I hate this but all I know if force yourself to eat less and push through. If you find an easy fix let me know...
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. You just have to battle through. Make sure you are not in to big a deficit and choose foods that you personally find satiating. For me it is protein. I find soups and casseroles help. My slow cooker will come into it's own during the winter.

What is your daily calorie goal at the moment? If you have chosen an aggressive weight loss goal you may want to consider upping your calories a bit to keep you full and losing a bit slower during the winter.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of low calorie hot drinks to help . I think I crave food because the calories make me warm, so I try to get warm in other ways.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I used to put on 5lbs every winter.

These past few years I have been using a sun light, taking vit D, and getting at least 15 min outside most days.
    For me this gives me more energy, so my NEAT, stays high, and a lesser inclination to eat more than I do spring and summer.

Since making sure I have good levels of vit D I haven't put on my 5 lbs winter 'coat'.

This is only my experience, so anecdotal, but it may help.

Cheers, h.
  • grupbeav
    grupbeav Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks I’ll try vitamin D!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm with middlehaitch; since increasing my vitamin D3 (year round, with an extra boost during fall/winter) I have definitely had more energy and less inclination to go into "hibernation mode"! You may want to get your D3 levels checked with your doctor first.
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Go play in the snow.

Be a kid on a no school/snow day again. Build snowmen, make snow angles, ride a toboggan (then walk back up the hill) . Helps to take a kid and a large dog with you lol.

Lots of fun, burns calories from not only the activity but also from keeping warm. Just don't OD on the hot chocolate afterwards.
  • intrigame23
    intrigame23 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Same. Here. I just want to sleep for 2 months straight, and occasionally get up to stuff my face. lol I have been drinking over a gallon of water every day and that's helped so much. More than half the time I'm not actually hungry, just thirsty.