Maple Syrup For Fuel

Options
Played golf today and got finished later than expected. Got home and had to run 3.5 miles before it got dark so I didn’t have much time to eat a snack (breakfast before golf, no lunch). So I opened the fridge and thought, Mrs Buttersworth. So I had about a TBS of syrup, drank some water and went on my merry way. Best pace I’ve had since my last race. Anyone else have experience using syrup? It tasted great and I feel a super sugar high still (I’m about one hour post digestion).

Replies

• fish9283
    fish9283 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Maple syrup for athletes is a thing. They sell individual packets for runners and cyclists. Google it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Played golf today and got finished later than expected. Got home and had to run 3.5 miles before it got dark so I didn’t have much time to eat a snack (breakfast before golf, no lunch). So I opened the fridge and thought, Mrs Buttersworth. So I had about a TBS of syrup, drank some water and went on my merry way. Best pace I’ve had since my last race. Anyone else have experience using syrup? It tasted great and I feel a super sugar high still (I’m about one hour post digestion).

Any sugar that dissolves quickly will do that. Doesn't have to be syrup.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Seems reasonable. Energy gels are basically just expensive flavored sugar syrup packets.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    fish9283 wrote: »
    Maple syrup for athletes is a thing. They sell individual packets for runners and cyclists. Google it.
    Mrs. Buttersworth isn't maple syrup. It is artificially flavored maple sugar water.

This. Blech. I can see maple syrup because it's delicious. But Mrs. B? Nope. Good for you though! A shot of sugar to push you through.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I thought it was yummy...
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

....... you're Canadian, aren't you?
  • Charlene____
    Options
    Umm...no. Why?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Yes on the maple syrup being used but no on Mrs. Butterworth's being maple syrup.
    I thought it was yummy...

It might be yummy, but it is by no means maple syrup.

edit: I screwed up the quoting but all of that is to say, people totally use maple syrup in the same way they do gels. That said, you're misinterpreting what Mrs Butterworth's is if you think it's maple syrup. There's no real shame in that, they want you to think it's maple syrup, but it definitely isn't.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

....... you're Canadian, aren't you?
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Mrs. Buttersworth isn't maple syrup. It is artificially flavored maple sugar water.

Thank you for posting this as a Canadian I was offended.

I was just thinking that no self respecting Canadian would ever consider using Mrs. Butterworth as maple syrup. :p

People are just messing with you OP. Seriously though, good for you! I don't usually consume maple syrup, but sometimes I put some extra honey in my tea if I need a boost. The sugar helps.😊
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I have learned at many sugar shacks maply syrup has lots of calcium. I mens you have to have a litre or more but it's kinda healthy.

Seriously though I'd assume the sugar gave you a boost of energy. And why did you HAVE to run? Was your life threatened if you didn't?

I was going to make a similar comment about maple syrup but didn't. I come from the 4th highest maple producing state in the US and have spent many weekends hiking in sugarbushes around the state. beautiful in the fall and someone is always cooking in their sugar shack in the spring. Nothing like a hot pancake topped with maple syrup ladled directly from the giant vat.

OP, sorry we offended you. Those of us in maple areas are a bit touchy when it comes to our syrup. Your point is a good one, anything that has sugar in a very easily absorbed form will give you a boost of energy. I know some runners who keep some of the glucose tabs diabetics use on them for quick energy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    But in all seriousness here. I asked about whether or not other runners have had success using syrup as a source of fuel right before a run. I didn’t have time to make my normal pre-run snack as I was fighting against a setting sun and empty belly. I don’t care if you don’t like my choice of words regarding Mrs Buttersworth. I simply had a great run, best pace in 3 months and thought, hey let me ask if anyone else has had success using syrup instead of bread, oatmeal, PB, gels, etc. I can’t imagine how someone feels making a post truly confused about something and receiving these types of comments. It simply was a “Hey, anyone else eat syrup and found it worked well”.

Welcome to MFP :laugh:
  • Charlene____
    Options

Welcome to MFP :laugh: [/quote]

I guess so.

• xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I have learned at many sugar shacks maply syrup has lots of calcium. I mens you have to have a litre or more but it's kinda healthy.

Seriously though I'd assume the sugar gave you a boost of energy. And why did you HAVE to run? Was your life threatened if you didn't?

From the bottom of my heart, I apologize for offending you for calling something marketing as syrup "Maple Syrup". I will try to be much more informed on products before making any more hastily written posts on this page.

And yes, it absolutely was a life and death matter that I complete my run last night. As a runner I am offended you even ask. :wink:

On behalf of all Canadians, we'll excuse you. For this time. :wink: