Favorite Crockpot Meals?

Options

Replies

• mandysmear
    Options
    i like to throw chicken in with canned tomatoes and black beans. cumin maybe. some hot sauce. then when i serve it, i eat it with rice and garnish with cilantro.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I've been having this quite a bit recently:

2 lbs meat (usually use ground turkey, but couldn't with the recall)
    1/2 lb beans (i've used pinto, black, red kidney, it's all good)

about 30 minutes before you are ready to eat, cook a bunch of veggies, I like:
    1 bell pepper
    1/2 onion

and because I had they laying around and needed to be used up, I've also added:
    1/2 lb green beans
    1/2 lb broccoli
    1/2 lb baby carrots

You could also just throw the veggies in the crockpot as well, but I do them separate to make the next step easier. Drain the juices of the meat and beans to take out at least 50% of the fat from the meat. To take out even more, rinse the meat and beans.

Add spices as you see fit. Personally, I add some cumin, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and what ever else I feel like throwing in.
    Serve with some shredded cheese, and it's low carb, high protein, and high fiber deliciousness.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump
  • klmh614
    klmh614 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I've been doing lots of crockpot meals lately. All of these sound really good, but I'm more of the "easy recipe" gal, so here are a few of our favorites:

Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
    put skinless, boneless chicken breast in crockpot
    pour your favorite BBQ sauce over it
    cook on low for 7 hours
    after 7 hours, stir the chicken and BBQ sauce. The chicken is so tender, it starts to shred itself.
    serve on buns

Onion Pork Chops
    put lean cut pork chops in crcockpot
    combine one packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix with one cup water
    pour over chops
    cook on low for 8 hours
    I add new potatoes cut in half

Rotisserie Chicken
    wash and dry whole chicken (removing anything inside)
    spray with olive oil cooking spray
    add salt and pepper
    place 8 balls of wadded aluminum foil on bottom of crockpot
    place chicken, breast side up, on top of foil
    cook on low for 8 hours

Thanks for this thread! I'll be making some of these, too.
  • angiebugpie
    angiebugpie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I looove my crock pot - so one more:

White bean chicken chili

- 1 onion, diced
    - 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
    - 1 lb tomatillos, diced (fresh is best and worth the knife-time, but you can sub canned or salsa verde)
    - 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
    - 1 7oz can diced green chiles
    - 2 15oz cans of white beans, drained and rinsed (great northern, navy, or cannellini)
    - 1 tsp (or 1 cube) chicken bouillon
    - 1/2 lb cooked chicken, diced
    - 1 tsp cumin
    - 1 tsp coriander
    - 1/2 tsp oregano
    - salt & pepper to taste

Toss everything into the crock pot and cook for 6-7 hours on low or about 3 hours on high.
    Sprinkle with cilantro and/or squeeze in a little lime juice.

Enjoy!
    Nikkie
    :flowerforyou:
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast with salsa... its so good !! I eat it plain w/ a veggie or put in a low cal tortilla.

Really! Do you cut the chicken breast up before you place them in the crock pot? That sounds delicious!
  • Biancasmommy
    Biancasmommy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,307
    Options
    Just made bbq pulled chicken with Stubb's bbq sauce, sooo good!

What is a pulled chicken??
  • GeekGirlOnAQuest
    GeekGirlOnAQuest Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing everyone! I have some I can post when I get on my computer.
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    bump to read at work
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Addressing a couple different people:

BBQ pulled chicken, I have made this multiple times wth Frozen and non frozen chicken. I put whole breasts in and a bottle of my fave bbq sauce, couple cloves of garlic and maybe a sprinkle or two of caijun spices. Leave it cook either low all day at work (like 9 hours!) or on the weekends on high for about 3 hours. Then pull it (shred it) with forks and leave it sit in there for another 30 minutes or whatever. Lets the insides get the juicy goodness all over them too. And Voila! I have had it on sandwiches, I have served it as the entree with mashed potato.. its delicious.

Pulled pork/chicken/beef is simply meat that is cooked and shredded up in usually a bbq sauce.
  • amycakes812
    Options
    Wow, so many great ideas here! Will definitely go through and try some of these.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    2 pork tenderloin, 1tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 cup red wine, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 packet onion soup mix, 3/4 cup of water = Awesome!!!

I *just* made this for the first time last night - and it was fantastic! Having leftovers for lunch today.

SkinnyTaste has a few other recipes I like (Chicken Taco Chili for one)
  • Runs4Wine
    Options
    Chicken breast with salsa... its so good !! I eat it plain w/ a veggie or put in a low cal tortilla.

Really! Do you cut the chicken breast up before you place them in the crock pot? That sounds delicious!

I make this a lot too. I put frozen chicken breasts inside all the time. After being in the crockpot all day it breaks apart easily on it's own. No need to cut up the chicken ahead of time.
  • Runs4Wine
    Options
    Take an entire chicken, wash it inside and out, and put it in the slow cooker on low in the morning, and when you come home at night you'll have the most wonderful, moist, perfectly-cooked chicken ever, that you can use for any recipe.

My slow cooker has enough room for two entire chickens - I stuff them in on their sides.

I'll often start cooking two chickens, starting on Sunday morning and let them just go all day. Then, on Sunday evening I'll take them out, let them cool a little, and clean. The meat just falls off the bone, the skin peels off effortlessly, and I have an entire week's worth of healthy chicken cooked so easily!

You can even strain and use the broth for soup, once you let it cool and skim off the fat.

You can also season the chicken before putting it in the pot - but I usually prefer to season the meat when I'm using it, instead,

I love cooking chicken like this!

you don't have to add any liquid?

I clearly love my crockpot and do this too - no you do not need to add any liquid. I ball up aluminum foil at the bottom of my crockpot and put the whole chicken on top of it. I use various seasonings, depending on what I'm in the mood for.

I've even stuffed the cavity with carrots when I wanted some easy veggies with it.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Callianna25
    Options
    Wonderful ideas!