Instant pot yogurt?

Any home instant pot yogurt makers? I just tried my first batch and it failed miserably. Any helpful tips from someone who’s done it successfully using specific probiotics?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Yup, I make yogurt weekly. Well since mid August when I got the recipe. It has never failed.

2L 2% lactose free milk
    100g 2% Greek yogurt with ACTIVE BACTERIAL CULTURE (once you have a successful batch just freeze 100g of your yogurt so you have a starter for your next batch)

I'm West Coast Canada and used Natrel for the milk and Olympic for the yogurt.

All you need to do is put the milk and yogurt in the Instantpot,
    whisk to blend,
    Put lid on,
    Hit the yogurt button,
    Let it do its thing for 8hr.

i have a yogurt strainer that I turn it into once it is done.
    It generally takes 6-8 hr to drain well.

It is so creamy and sweet I don't need to sweeten it.
    If you like it a bit tarter, add an hour to the instantpot time.

It keeps for about 2 weeks in the fridge.

Cheers, h.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    I thought freezing the yogurt would kill the culture?
  • scalebeater
    scalebeater Posts: 65 Member
    So you don’t do the boiling step first? I see that in a lot of the online recipes but didn’t look until after mine failed and wondered if that was it.

Thank you tho! Knowing you can use lactose free milk is super helpful! I think my cultures must have been bad as I had it in the pot for 2 cycles and it never thickened. I will try again!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    I make it all the time. Temp is key. Boil your milk then let it cool to 95-100. You'll need a good thermometer. Fage yogurt is most reliable to not kill. Stir a few tbs Fage with the warm milk to make smooth then add it back to the pot. Immediately put in machine and turn to yogurt. I do 8-10 hrs. I also strain afterward to make greek yogurt.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    @middlehaitch - can you clarify some of these questions (i.e. boiling, freezing, etc.), please? Your method sounds so much less fussy than doing some other recipes.
  • middlehaitch
    When you use the lactose free milk there is no need to boil (it is already filtered), an aspect I like as there is less chance for failure.
    Freezing doesn't kill the culture.

It is still quite wet, but thicker than milk, that is why straining for s few hours is needed.
    I have a Euro Cuisine yogurt strainer that was bought off Amazon. All plastic with a very fine mesh.

When I did mine the first time I weighed it at every stage so I could then work out the cals and macros in grams.
    I can't remember the exact number at the moment but it worked out roughly 1000g yogurt for 2L milk plus the 100g starter.
    Cals were 100g = 100cal, 10g protein.
    (This is a very rough estimate as my bit of paper with all my calls on it got 'tidied' away in the rubbish before I had chance to enter it. Haven't got around to doing the maths a 2nd time yet ;))

Cheers, h.
  • middlehaitch
    edited October 2018
    @RAinWA I hope my post following yours answers your questions. We x posted.

I honestly don't have a lot of answers, I just know it works. My son and DinL got me the instant pot for Christmas then the yogurt sieve for my birthday ( stuck on what to get me; know I eat yogurt daily) They also gave me the recipe. DinL follows a FB page and one of the guys on that perfected the recipe.

Cheers, h.

ETA: I tend to like my yogurt very thick so it is always over strainerd. If you happen to over strain you cal just whisk in a little of the excess strained liquid back in.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    @RAinWA I hope my post following yours answers your questions. We x posted.

I honestly don't have a lot of answers, I just know it works. My son and DinL got me the instant pot for Christmas then the yogurt sieve for my birthday ( stuck on what to get me; know I eat yogurt daily) They also gave me the recipe. DinL follows a FB page and one of the guys on that perfected the recipe.

Cheers, h.

ETA: I tend to like my yogurt very thick so it is always over strainerd. If you happen to over strain you cal just whisk in a little of the excess strained liquid back in.

That did answer the questions, thank you! I'm going to try that method and see how it comes out.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I made my first one last week and it was great, but I did a super easy version that used already pasteurized milk and just another yoghurt as the starter. I am going to do the same this week but strain it, as I like the greek style texture better I think. I followed this guy's instructions for the basic - he repeats himself A LOT so sorry about the source but https://youtu.be/HpBkYSj0Ja4. Basically a jug of Fairlife full fat, 2 tbps of a plain yoghurt containing live cultures, mix, cook on yoghurt for 8 hours, cover and transfer to fridge for another 4-6. Done. For his greek style he cooks it for 10 hours and strains it while it sits in the fridge.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    edited October 2018
    I make “Cold Start.” 1 Carton Fairlife Milk (whole), 1/2 container (8ozs) Sweet Cream Natural Bliss and two tablespoons Oui yogurt. Stir it up, set on Normal or Medium depending on which IP you have for 8.5 hours, go to bed. When the timer beeps in the morning put directly into the fridge, DO NOT STIR. In 5-6 hours you should have nice, creamy, thick yogurt.

I use Whole Milk because I’ve found I need fat to feel satisfied. 2% works fine. I can’t vouch for skim.
    No need for the Creamer but I like it because it adds a creaminess and a hint of flavor without me having to pile on “toppings.”
    I prefer Oui over Fage, it produces a smoother, thicker yogurt.
    Whether you strain or not, it’s critical that you do not stir the yogurt until after it’s chilled or it will break down and become runny. I personally do not stir at all until I pull a single serv out to eat and stir back in whey.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You might have boiled it too much, causing the failure.
  • Lacey8685
    Lacey8685 Posts: 8 Member
    I have made many batches of yogurt following the This Old Gal cold start method, link below. Basically you buy fairlife milk (I have used all kinds from fat-free to full fat and they all work, I prefer 1%). Mix in a big spoonful of plain Greek yogurt and push your yogurt button. It runs for 8 hours, and I strain it. Last's 2-3 weeks in my fridge.

https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-no-boil-yogurt/
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    When you use the lactose free milk there is no need to boil (it is already filtered), an aspect I like as there is less chance for failure.
    Freezing doesn't kill the culture.

It is still quite wet, but thicker than milk, that is why straining for s few hours is needed.
    I have a Euro Cuisine yogurt strainer that was bought off Amazon. All plastic with a very fine mesh.

When I did mine the first time I weighed it at every stage so I could then work out the cals and macros in grams.
    I can't remember the exact number at the moment but it worked out roughly 1000g yogurt for 2L milk plus the 100g starter.
    Cals were 100g = 100cal, 10g protein.
    (This is a very rough estimate as my bit of paper with all my calls on it got 'tidied' away in the rubbish before I had chance to enter it. Haven't got around to doing the maths a 2nd time yet ;))

Cheers, h.

Thanks for the strainer tip! I use a tea towel over my colander since I couldn't find anything fine enough!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member

@MelanieCN77, I think the Farlife milk you are using is the same as the Natrel I use. It makes the process so much easier doesn't it.

Cheers, h.

Yeah I'm not quite at subsistence level kitchening yet haha, not sure what pasteurizing my own milk really gains.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I use Fairlife 2%, Fage 2% (if I forget to keep some from the last batch as a starter) and half a can of sweetened condensed milk. Using Fairlife and an instant pot with the yogurt function eliminates the need for boiling. The sweetened condensed milk isn't required but it sweetens the yogurt and gives it a thicker consistency. Think Greek yogurt without the need to strain...
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    edited October 2018
    I make Instant Pot yogurt sooo much. Here is what you need for basic yogurt.... One gallon of WHOLE Milk (2% and etc will be more runny and yield less if/when you strain) and starter Yogurt that say "contains live and active cultures" (it can be any brand and have flavor or not it doesn't matter as long as it says that it contains live and active cultures) NOW to the steps......
    Step 1. Pour milk into your pot, place on a lid, and press "yogurt" until it says "boil" Leave it until you hear it beep. It will then read "yogt"... Take off the lid, stir, and check the temp. It should be 180°F or MORE. If it is not that temp, use "saute" until you get to 180 or above.
    Next step is to cool it down. You can let it cool itself which takes a while or sit it in a sink full of cold water. Get the temp down to 115°F or BELOW. Once you achieve 115 or below, add 2-3 tablespoons of your starter yogurt. Stir it in. Now place your pot back into the instant pot, put on the lid and select "yogurt" button....make sure it says "normal" and it should say 08:00... You can keep it at 8 hours or increase up to 12 hours by hitting the + and - buttons. 8 hours will yield a sweeter yogurt, 12 hours for a more tart yogurt.... Once it begins it will count UP (which is different than when you pressure cook and see it count down).... At 8 hours it will beep and read "yogt" You're yogurt is done. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. If you want greek yogurt, pour into a strainer and strain for at least 4 hours. Enjoy! :)
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    I make it all the time and have had no problems, however my sister in law has never had success. I honestly think it comes down to a good thermometer and getting the temps in the right range.

I use:
    1. 1/2 gallon whole milk
    2. 2 TBSP fage

Poor milk in, yogurt setting to boil, check heat and make sure it's about 181. I know when it doesn't get this hot it tends to take longer to set.

Take out, cool in water bath in sink to about 110. I timed mine several times and it takes about 4 minutes if you change the water bath a couple times.

Throw in pot, set to 8-10 hours. I like 9.

Remove, put in yogurt strainer (I like very thick yogurt) for a few hours (or more). Done. With a half gallon, I usually get over a quart of strained yogurt and a quart of whey.

I use the whey for homemade dutch oven bread, smoothies, thinning homemade ranch dressing (with the yogurt of course), and marinating chicken.

I know that @crazyravr is an opponent of making yogurt because he finds it cheaper, but in my area, for less than a quart of fage greek yogurt (which is the only yogurt I like), the cheapest I can ever find it is 6.99 on sale. 1/2 gallon of organic milk at aldi is usually 1.99, and a cup of fage can be had for $.50 on sale.

It takes only a few minutes of actual time to make. Plus, I like the taste of mine better, and love using the whey. This alone is worth the time for me.

• scalebeater
    scalebeater Posts: 65 Member
    I know the economics don’t favor making yogurt in the instant pot :) .. I was trying to make yogurt with this specific strain of bacteria for the health benefits: https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2018/04/make-l-reuteri-yogurt/.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    edited October 2018
    The key to using a cold start or no boil method is to use ultra filtered milk (like FairLife); I've made many successful batches with Aldi's organic ultra filtered too (I make it a gallon at a time) . I just throw an entire single serve cup of Fage in for my culture. I like mine strained...I use a clean flour sack towel and a colander. It is important to be extra diligent about sterilizing equipment and tools when using a cold start method.