Cravings please share tips

Options
Can you share ideas for when your starving or craving sugars please

Replies

• carolinedance69
    carolinedance69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    But I’m prob not lol which is why I need to lose weight I guess it’s more want than need
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A couple of choices here.

Abstain from all added sugar and sugary treats. Great for dieting. BUT, someday you won't be dieting but on maintenance calories instead. What happens then?

Another choice is managing sugar intake. Think of it in terms of - all things in moderation. This is learned behavior. We're not perfect, we will screw up from time to time. But allowing yourself a % of "fun" calories for the day, then sticking to it. Develop strategies. Don't buy the bag of Hershey Kisses, instead buy 1 chocolate bar. Ghiradelli squares are individually wrapped if that helps.

If you are starving:
    1. Your weekly weight loss goal may be too high. Relax this a bit and eat more.
    2. Find filling foods. It's not one size fits all. The usual components are protein, fiber and fat. Keep tweaking meals and snack times too.
    3. If you are using MFP numbers and exercising, you are meant to eat a portion of those calories too.
  • carolinedance69
    Options
    Thank you, I am trying to keep in all the recommended limits but previously I have used things like slimming world and I keep going way over sugars on fruit but if I cut the fruit a crave the sweet stuff it’s been a shock how much sugars I was taking in or am
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I am trying to keep in all the recommended limits but previously I have used things like slimming world and I keep going way over sugars on fruit but if I cut the fruit a crave the sweet stuff it’s been a shock how much sugars I was taking in or am

Is there a medical reason you need to watch your sugar intake?
  • Sigurjonsig
    Sigurjonsig Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    almonds, nuts or dark chocolate does the job killing my cravings.
  • amyjsparkles
    amyjsparkles Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    almonds, nuts or dark chocolate does the job killing my cravings.

Same for me. I found a chocolate bar with dark chocolate, almonds, and sea salt. It's that mix of salty and sweet and it quenches that craving.
  • Nicksmom106
    Nicksmom106 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about hummus? They have chocolate and dark chocolate versions now and I enjoy them with apple slices of pretzel sticks, two tablespoons of the dark chocolate are only 50 cals, 1.5 fats, and 5 sugars and 9 carbs....its pretty darn good😜

I also love apples and pb too, sort of tastes.like caramel apples to.me....now those are my weakness😋
    Hugs 🌼
    Ali
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If I've been eating a lot of sugar and want to cut way down on it, I usually find I have mad, almost uncontrollable sugar cravings every afternoon for about 2-4 days. I just have to power through and then they subside substantially.

It does help to make sure I'm eating enough to be satiated. If I'm hungry and craving sugar, I will give in to temptation. If I do decide to eat something sweet, a small piece of very dark bittersweet chocolate (like 75-90%) is best for me.

And weight loss may be about calories according to MFP dogma, but sugar isn't particularly healthy or nutritious and it tends to make me ravenously hungry so yay to you for wanting to limit it.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    First, I try to figure out why I feel I'm "starving". I check MFP to see how many calories I have left to work with. (I prelog my meals.) I'll try to take my mind off it. I'll play a computer game of a word game to have something else to think about. Or I'll call a friend. Or I'll take a quick trip outside to poke around the yard, if possible. If I'm still feeling that way, after 20 minutes or so, my go to snack is a hardboiled egg, because protein satiates me. Other choices are an English Muffin with chunky peanut butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar or a bit of sugar-free jam. Cottage cheese is another choice. It took me a while to figure out what works for me. I do try to eat enough satisfying foods at regular times, because when my sugars get too low, I get dizzy, and also want to eat anything in sight! Good luck, OP.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    try chromium picolineate. it killed my sweet tooth and after a few weeks i didn't need it anymore
  • carolinedance69
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am trying to keep sugars low as I had breast cancer, I will check if I can take chromium with my meds too.i am trying to overhaul my lifestyle to reduce the risk of the cancer returning x thanks for the tips really helpful
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am trying to keep sugars low as I had breast cancer, I will check if I can take chromium with my meds too.i am trying to overhaul my lifestyle to reduce the risk of the cancer returning x thanks for the tips really helpful

Your doctor told you to cut back on sugar?
  • lwhitman208
    lwhitman208 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For crunchy cravings, I'm currently hooked on snap peas.

For salty, spicy, or just a general all-around snack, I'll go for wasabi almonds or Sriracha cashews.

For sweet, Quest bars are amazing!! The mint chocolate chip and birthday cake flavors are out of this world.

For meat or cheese... I just go for it.
  • christinageorges24
    christinageorges24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I have sugar blow outs it is because I have not been eating consistently. It is important to maintain insulin levels. When you do not eat for a while this can happen and cause the need to eat massive amounts of sugar quickly. Consistent meals, never let yourself go hungry.
  • carolinedance69
    Options

Not specifically but to drop weight, drink less etc and looking at my patterns sugars are waaaay to high x
  • rmggeeked
    rmggeeked Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Damn my answer is totally different lol when I get cravings I drink water
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Not specifically but to drop weight, drink less etc and looking at my patterns sugars are waaaay to high x

Where did the sugar/breast cancer link cone from?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I try not to get too concerned about my sugar total for the day if it's coming from fruits and vegetables. However, I do need to limit fruit to 2 small servings a day or I get too hungry.

Sometimes cravings get intense if I haven't had enough protein or fat, or fiber or water or sleep. Or if I'm bored.