Need suggestions! Need to get the scale moving

Options
I have been strictly monitoring my food through calories and macros for 3 weeks. I need to drop 20 lbs asap and I can not get the scale to move.
I intermittent fast 16:8, I eat 800-1200 calories a day (lower end on non-workout days) and I work out 4 times a week doing HIIT or running. The scale has not moved!!!
I lost 35 lbs last year and it was easier than this. Any ideas??? I am so upset.

Replies

• 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Are you using a food scale for every item that goes in your mouth ?

How tall are you and what do you weigh now ?
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Height/current weight.

How fast do you "need" to lose 20 lbs and how long have you been on your current calories intake?
  • 73CL350
    Options
    Starvation mode is a total myth.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Perhaps your calorie count is too low with your amount of exercise and your body is in starvation mode. I don’t know if that’s the case but it’s possible.

No, its no possible. If starvation mode was a thing people wouldn't starve to death...
  • 73CL350
    Options
    We need your height and weight to give a proper assessment but 95% of the time you're not weighing your food.

...its thermodynamics... the body burns carbon ... consume less carbon and you'll lose weight.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    If you're sure you're weighing your food accurately and logging exercise, you should also go to the doctor and confirm that you have no underlying health issues that could cause weight gain or retention. Thyroid problems, certain medications, these things can definitely affect any weight loss efforts your're attempting.
  • nflanagan12
    nflanagan12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    73CL350 wrote: »
    Are you using a food scale for every item that goes in your mouth ?

How tall are you and what do you weigh now ?

I dont weigh everything. I can see how that could the culprit. I can totally try that.
    I am 5'4" and I bounce between 199 and 202.
  • nflanagan12
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »

How fast do you "need" to lose 20 lbs and how long have you been on your current calories intake?

5'4" - I had been at 1200 calories for the last 12 weeks and have been on 800-1000 for 2 weeks now.
    Time frame is as quickly as I can. I cant move forward with something major in my life until I am down at least 20lbs.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

5'4" - I had been at 1200 calories for the last 12 weeks and have been on 800-1000 for 2 weeks now.
    Time frame is as quickly as I can. I cant move forward with something major in my life until I am down at least 20lbs.

Well, you are set to lose 2 lbs a week and eating 1200 cals a day for 12 weeks you should have already lost those 20 lbs.

If you have stalled for 12 weeks it means you are eating at maintenance (~2000 cals per day.) Since you have a deadline and major things waiting to happen, weigh every single thing you eat going forward and eat back half of your exercise calories.

If weight stopped moving just these last couple weeks, be patient. You'll get a big whoosh and all will be well.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

If you haven’t been weighing your food, it’s most likely you’ve been eating much more than the mentioned calories as you should be losing. Before I used a food scale, I thought I was eating 1500 cals. Started weighing all my food and it turns out I was eating close to 1800-2000.
  • aprilkorn
    aprilkorn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    you need to be creating a calorie deficit to lose weight. If you are that active and are truly eating 800 to 1200 cals and not eating back exercise calories you would be losing weight. I suspect like everyone else you are not logging accurately. If you're weighing meat and veggies make sure you weigh them raw and cooking can cause up to 25% shrinkage and you could end up eating 25% more calories than your 1200. Also there is a lot of wrong calorie counts on this app so be sure to find the exact thing you are eating or create it. If you are eating out a lot it is impossible to know how many calories you're consuming. It takes a deficit of 500 cals a day to lose a pound a week. If you are guessing portions then you are probably losing that deficit. What are your macros set at? It can help to pre log your days food and make sure it fits your macros and calories. Leave a few extra calories incase you need a snack. Once you know for sure you are logging accurately, don't go below the 1200 too often. Your metabolism slows down when you lose weight and eventually you will hit a plateau. If your only eating 800 calories and hit a plateau you will be starving and end up bringing if you go below that and gain back quickly and more weight.
  • nflanagan12
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I weighed out my food this weekend! I hope it helps! I appreciate you all!
  • rebeccaahopkins93
    rebeccaahopkins93 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was experiencing the same thing. 1200 is very low for calories especially if you are exercising. Starvation mode is a 100% a thing. For the person who said it's not, it is your bodies defense mechanism when food is scarce to keep you vital organs running. I personally eat 1600 a day. At first I still wasn't losing but I noticed last week that because I exercise so much my total net calories dropped below 1200. The past few weeks I increased my calories so that after exercise I have a net calorie intake of at least 1200. Many days I'm eating up to 1800 calories a day. It sounds counterproductive but the scale is moving again! I'm sorry to say it but there is no quick answer to lose 20 lbs. It's always faster when you are starting out but it will continue to slow down as you get closer to your goal. It's just the name of the game. My advice to you would be increase your calories a little bit to even around 1400. Also be patient with yourself. It's about making sustainable life changes not quick fixes. If you've already lost 35lbs you are doing fantastic! Enjoy your success 😁
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I weighed out my food this weekend! I hope it helps! I appreciate you all!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

This might help you see why it's important. :)
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I was experiencing the same thing. 1200 is very low for calories especially if you are exercising. Starvation mode is a 100% a thing. For the person who said it's not, it is your bodies defense mechanism when food is scarce to keep you vital organs running. I personally eat 1600 a day. At first I still wasn't losing but I noticed last week that because I exercise so much my total net calories dropped below 1200. The past few weeks I increased my calories so that after exercise I have a net calorie intake of at least 1200. Many days I'm eating up to 1800 calories a day. It sounds counterproductive but the scale is moving again! I'm sorry to say it but there is no quick answer to lose 20 lbs. It's always faster when you are starting out but it will continue to slow down as you get closer to your goal. It's just the name of the game. My advice to you would be increase your calories a little bit to even around 1400. Also be patient with yourself. It's about making sustainable life changes not quick fixes. If you've already lost 35lbs you are doing fantastic! Enjoy your success 😁

Starvation mode is not a real thing. Prolonged severe under eating can cause your body to try to conserve energy - you'll be tired, move less, etc., but you aren't going to stop losing weight if you take in less calories than you burn.

Likely what you saw was a coincidence. You were going to lose that weight anyway and it just caught up, especially if the exercise was new and you were retaining water.

But 1200 net is as low as you should go and most women do not need to eat that little and they will still lose weight. Maybe not as fast as they would like (note: it's never as fast as you want!) but they will lose weight. Most people who say they aren't losing on 1200 simply aren't tracking accurately and aren't really eating 1200.