Dear Elliptical...

Options
you and stairmill have not been my friends in the past and I do not really care for the way you suck all of the air out of my lungs after only 5 minutes. Why can you not play nice like the treadmill and stationary bike? I :heart: them very much, as they have worked me out nicely.

But, alas, it is time to step it up to tighten up my butt and deminish my thunder thighs, so we are going to have to find a way to play nicely.

You - meet me at the gym after work and we will try this yet again....

Love,
me

P.S. Pretty please with a cherry on top play nicey nice. :bigsmile:

Replies

• Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    LOL
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is better for your knees anyway! It will get easier with time, I promise.

Also, try downloading some podcasts to listen to (funny ones) prior to doing cardio. I have found that helps a ton!
  • Sagelit
    Sagelit Posts: 78
    Options
    Love this. I failed badly at the stairmaster machine, and yet managed to climb the Calgary tower in 18 minutes (longest of my group, but I finished) How can the machines be so much different than real life?
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Too funny! I love the elliptical but I'm getting slightly bored at this point. I like the stationary bike but I just never feel like I workout enough. I need to be dripping in sweat by the time I'm done working out otherwise I don't feel like I did much.

Good luck on your date with the elliptical. ;) YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • asuangel7
    Options
    An alternative to the elliptical...Walking lunges/leg lifts works wonders for that area too! You start at one end of the gym, then do lunges across to the other side. As you raise your body up after each lunge, you lift that leg backwards before lunging forward with it. Not sure if that explanation made sense, but I did a lot of those before my honeymoon and was very pleased with my bikini bottoms! :-)
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is better for your knees anyway! It will get easier with time, I promise.

Also, try downloading some podcasts to listen to (funny ones) prior to doing cardio. I have found that helps a ton!

I keep hearing that it is better on the knees, but I seriously cannot breath aftre only 5 minutes and I am no wuss. And, in regards to the stairmill, I can run up and down and all around the stairs at my apartment, but that thing tries to kill me. Plus, I think I am over-thinking them a little, too....maybe.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    Love this. I failed badly at the stairmaster machine, and yet managed to climb the Calgary tower in 18 minutes (longest of my group, but I finished) How can the machines be so much different than real life?

You are amazing! That is awesome!!
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    you and stairmill have not been my friends in the past and I do not really care for the way you suck all of the air out of my lungs after only 5 minutes. Why can you not play nice like the treadmill and stationary bike? I :heart: them very much, as they have worked me out nicely.

But, alas, it is time to step it up to tighten up my butt and deminish my thunder thighs, so we are going to have to find a way to play nicely.

You - meet me at the gym after work and we will try this yet again....

Love,
    me

P.S. Pretty please with a cherry on top play nicey nice. :bigsmile:

Your gym has a stairmill?! Those are the *kitten*!!! If you want to feel like you are going to collapse and die . . . but they are amazing. There's no cheating, not like the stairmaster where you see people draping their entire bodies over the rails to make it easier.

When you and stairmill get to be good friends, you'll also be good friends with your damn sexy butt in jeans!
  • PST0622
    PST0622 Posts: 115
    Options
    :laugh:
  • clearcrayon
    Options
    ahhhh man...i wrote the samething to the treadmill. We are definitely not friends
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    HAHA! When I first started and got on the elliptical after 5 minutes my legs couldn't take anymore. Now it's what I do for 45-60minutes of cardio after my weights work out when I go to the gym since we have a treadmill at home. It does get easier!!!
  • bry_all01
    Options
    An alternative to the elliptical...Walking lunges/leg lifts works wonders for that area too! You start at one end of the gym, then do lunges across to the other side. As you raise your body up after each lunge, you lift that leg backwards before lunging forward with it. Not sure if that explanation made sense, but I did a lot of those before my honeymoon and was very pleased with my bikini bottoms! :-)

I do do lunges, too. Not as much or as often as I would like, so maybe if I do more of those, I will be ok without trying to incorporate the elliptical and stairkiller, I mean mill.? And, how much does the bike (stationary) work/shape butt, thighs and legs? Anyone?
  • bry_all01
    Options
    HAHA! When I first started and got on the elliptical after 5 minutes my legs couldn't take anymore. Now it's what I do for 45-60minutes of cardio after my weights work out when I go to the gym since we have a treadmill at home. It does get easier!!!

my legs are definitely not the issue - it is my breathing. My HR gets WAY up there REAL fast on both of those machines. I don't even have an issue with boredom, because I zone out. It is literally just my breathing....
  • Jonathan_Episcopo
    Jonathan_Episcopo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical. It's not great for training to run a 5K or anything, but from what I understand it works you out just as well as a treadmill, but as the other person said, it is much better on your knees as there is no impact. The biggest thing is dont start out too fast!!

I start out at level 5 going only about 2.5- 3.0, you feel like you wanna quit within a few minutes, but if you push through it, you will see you start gradually go faster without realizing it. I much prefer the Elliptical to the treadmill anyday.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    There's nothing to it but to DO IT TO IT!

I have faith in you, Hot Stuff!
    :smooched:
  • bry_all01
    Options
    There's nothing to it but to DO IT TO IT!

I have faith in you, Hot Stuff!
    :smooched:

<sigh>, thanks sexy Super Tracy! I am going to get back up on it again. I will not give up. I do not give up.
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't find the elliptical too challenging unless I really push it - e.g., sprints, high resistance. At low to moderate resistance it's not too bad, much easier on my heart rate than running on the treadmill - maybe you are pushing your pace too fast? I go fairly moderately and still burn a ton of cals (approx 100 every 10 minutes). I also enjoy elliptical training mp3s - there are a couple of free ones now through Motion Traxx that are really great (did I mention FREE?) and I also like the ones from iTrain.

Good luck figuring things out for your own body! Hope you and elliptical have a better next date!
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options

my experience say this works waaaay better
  • bry_all01
    Options

my experience say this works waaaay better

the walking lunges over the elliptical?? I asked my trainer yesterday to incorporate them in today's and/or tomorrow's session. So, if so - yay! I have working knowledge of and know how to use machines, but for some reason (for, I think) I prefer to do the lunges with the trainer there.