Need New Running Shoes

Options
I've been running in my New Balances for a year and a half (I know, I'm overdue). I gave myself a little tendonitis on the lateral side of my foot due to underpronating during a ten miler - which is all better now (the foot, not my gait).

My hips are starting to hurt after a few 4 mile runs recently and, thus, I need new shoes.

I'm not a huge fan of Nike, because their shoes are so narrow. I have used New Balance in the past and like them. I haven't used Reebok, Adidias, etc.

Currently training for a 1/2 marathon.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Jesse13
    Jesse13 Posts: 72
    Options
    Here Here. I am in need of new sneakers and I have no idea on what to purchase with so many choices. I have been walking 5 miles a day and am hurting. Any suggestions would be appreciated....
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I recommend going to a running store and being fitted for the best shoes.... everyone has different feet and not all brands work on all people. I wear Asics myself, but I have tried Mizuno and Saucony in the past. A gait analysis is the best way to determine the best shoe for your feet and running style. Best of luck!
  • Sk1nnyMoo
    Options
    I would find a running store in your area and have them fit you for what you need, then they should let you try running in several different brands before purchasing (i know Bob Roncker's Running Spot near me has a tredmill in their store and also will allow you to run down the street). I also hate Nike just because of the fit. Big fan of Asics.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    I go with either NB or asics. currently I have asics, but I'm thinking about picking up NB 890s. of course the 890s are for men but I know they have something like that one for women.
  • 1medicwife
    1medicwife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Brooks!

By far the best tennis shoes I've ever owned! Love them!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    ASICS are awesome!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    To me, nothing is more cushy than Nikes. But I don't think they hold up as long as some. I also like Saucony and they are reasonably priced. runnersworld.com reviews shoes regularly. You might want to check it out.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought a pair of Sauconey running shoes and i absolutely love them. so comfortable and plenty of support!
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I recommend going to a running store and being fitted for the best shoes.... everyone has different feet and not all brands work on all people. I wear Asics myself, but I have tried Mizuno and Saucony in the past. A gait analysis is the best way to determine the best shoe for your feet and running style. Best of luck!

THIS! The best thing you can do for yourself. They'll put you on a treadmill and watch to see if you're pronating or not and then pick the shoe that best fits how your foot falls. It's really cool. Before I started buying my shoes this way, I always had knee and shin problems when I ran. I've had the best luck with Saucony.
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Both my brother and I have always worn asics. They are very comfortable.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Every brand makes a great running shoe for someone. However, the last thing you want to do is buy a shoe based on a recommendation. It was already mentioned..... got get fitted properly at a Running Store. Don't worry about brand name.... that swoosh logo don't mean crap when it makes you foot hurt.
  • kimwiley1973
    Options
    You definitely are due some new shoes, you should replace them every 300 miles which is about 3-4 months depending on your running schedule. I have been running for 3 years, did my first 1/2 last year and am currently training for my next one in October- I wear nothing but New Balance. They just came out with a new line of running shoes called 890 and they are light as a feather. It really feels like you have next to nothing on your feet! You can check them out online. If you have a store close to you that specializes in tennis shoes (locally, we have one called Runner's Fit) they will recommend what type shoes you need based on watching you run on a machine at the store. Hope that helps!
  • Sonia43
    Sonia43 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have just bought the Adidas Galaxy Elite running shoes. They are extremely comfortable compared to my old running shoes. I have only run in them a half dozen times, but so far so good. Here's a link to them to show what they look like. I picked mine up from JCPenneys in the sale and got them for around $40!
    http://www.zappos.com/adidas-running-galaxy-elite-running-white-blue-beauty-metallic-silver
  • Jesse13
    Options
    How do you find a running store with a treadmill? I never heard of that before, sounds interesting....I'm in TX.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've been running in my New Balances for a year and a half (I know, I'm overdue). I gave myself a little tendonitis on the lateral side of my foot due to underpronating during a ten miler - which is all better now (the foot, not my gait).

My hips are starting to hurt after a few 4 mile runs recently and, thus, I need new shoes.

I'm not a huge fan of Nike, because their shoes are so narrow. I have used New Balance in the past and like them. I haven't used Reebok, Adidias, etc.

Currently training for a 1/2 marathon.

Any suggestions?

Huh, wierd - I usually end up in Nikes because they are the only ones wide enough for me... the shoe shop people always try to give me New Balance because they say they are wider but the only time I gave in and bought them they made my toes numb and I had to throw them away.
    The best thing is to go to a good sports shoe shop and get fitted for something that is right for you.
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I had a gait analysis done today and it made a world of difference in the shoes I bought. I didn't know this, but I have a misformed arch and a mild/moderate pronation in both feet as a result. Plus I have achilles tendonitis and the shoes I was fitted for were perfect. I tried on 3 different pairs but it was the first pair that were the perfect fit. They felt so different running in them than just walking around the store.
  • mindbodysoul011
    Options
    Try Asaics :)! They are great quality. You can get advise from the salesperson at a specialized running store and have an walking and running assessment done. Good luck at the 1/2 marathon. -mindbodysoul011
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    How do you find a running store with a treadmill? I never heard of that before, sounds interesting....I'm in TX.

I just did a quick google search and came up with The Running Company - not sure where you are, but they have 3 locations in TX. http://www.therunningcompany.net and they have a treadmill in the store for gait analysis.
  • Jesse13
    Options
    [/quote]
    I just did a quick google search and came up with The Running Company - not sure where you are, but they have 3 locations in TX. http://www.therunningcompany.net and they have a treadmill in the store for gait analysis.
    [/quote]

@TluvK: Thank you for the search, I will check it out :happy:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I really like Newtons. I do NOT want "cushy". I want to run nearly barefoot to spare myself all the knee, hip, and calf pain I had been experiencing with the cushy shoes.