Cheat day/meal?

Do most of you guys do a cheat meal/ day? Or recommend having one? I was on a 14 day streak and had a cheat day this weekend and as I was logging it in my diary it blew my mind how many calories was in it. Just the one meal was over my calorie limit for the day. Not even including my brownie sundae afterwards. What do you guys do? Cheat or not to cheat??

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Some people do well on restricting then letting loose every once in a while, I personally don't. I don't restrict in the first place so I don't have a need for cheat days. I have everything I want in smaller quantities or less often within my calories or take occasional maintenance breaks where I have more freedom with my calories. I sometimes save up calories for about a week if I have something high in calories planned. None of that feels like cheating, it all feels like part of my plan. What would feel easier to you?
  • AndThenIWoreIt
    AndThenIWoreIt Posts: 25 Member
    Yes, I do.

I recently went through birthday season in my family and personally called those days “cheat days.” I logged everything, though I wasn’t especially careful about every little thing (was that big piece of chocolate cake 1.5 servings? 2 servings? More? Whatever.)

I feel like I learn from these experiences— and one thing I learned was that 3 hours of kayaking and a long run on the beach were an excellent way to make room for an order of restaurant calamari and a beer. Do I know exactly how many calories I burned on the river or exactly how many calories of fried food I ate? No. But I totally let myself enjoy it for my b-day treat. Will I do that regularly? No. I’ll keep it very, very rare.

With the holidays coming up, I’m planning ahead to *not* have cheat days, because that food isn’t personally special to me. I’ll make healthy versions of my favorite dishes — and go for long runs, too — and feel great.
  • AndThenIWoreIt
    AndThenIWoreIt Posts: 25 Member
    I forgot to mention the s’mores. It was a truly fantastic cheat day 😎
  • carrieross733
    carrieross733 Posts: 27 Member
    I do every once in a while..just for sanitys sake. But for me, I find the more cheat meal/days I have..the harder it is for me to stay on track (the more I cheat..the more I crave "bad" foods) so I try to avoid them as much as possible...depends on your triggers though and how well you are able to control yourself
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    I don't do "cheats", but I do bank calories ahead of time if I know I'm going to eat a higher calorie meal. If it comes up unplanned, then I eat it, log it, and eat a little less over the next several days. In the end, one meal here and there isn't going to hurt anything at all. For me, it works best to look at my weekly average rather than daily. Some days, I'm more hungry than others, so I eat more on those days. In the end, it averages out and my body doesn't keep time. :)
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    I, too, detest the term 'cheating' which implies immoral behavior and self-victimization. Why would one plan to undermine themselves?

That said, I like the occasional splurge. It is true that the occasional splurge (or treat) slows down overall progress to goal, but I live to eat which means some choices I make will 'cost' me at the scale.

I don't have a set schedule. I also know pretty well what I'll have to do to stay my course in terms of where I'll have to forgo other treats in order to maintain my weight.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    I follow a weekly calorie goal so some days are higher than others but it balances out in the end. I'm able to enjoy the foods I want while still working them into my calories.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I do a maintenance day once a week, sometimes 2. That is my cheat.