struggling with sciatica

Options
Good morning! For about three months, I've been struggling with lower back pain. This weekend, however, the pain has become worse, moving down my right leg and into my foot. In fact, my toes are rather numb. I'm assuming this is sciatica, and I was wondering if anyone knows of particular exercises that might alleviate the pain.

Replies

• slimstrauss
    slimstrauss Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Feel for you, having had this for many years
    It’s no joke. Any kind of yoga stretch is good, things like cobra etc, also good to have some massage or acupuncture. Good to keep mobile as much as poss, if you google exercise for sciatica it will give you good postures for it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a doctor or tried physical therapy?
  • Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You should check in with a doctor to make sure nothing else is going on. You might also consider checking out Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. Her “Yoga for Sciatica” routine helped mine immensely (I do it about three times a week).
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get "woo'd" for this, but this guy's take on back pain was spot on for me many years ago. I spent 3 days in the hospital, took prednisone, babied myself, did stretching exercises, nothing helped. My right leg and foot were numb, classic sciatica. I know this is all anecdotal at best so do with it what you'd like.
    https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pain-Mind-Body-Connection/dp/153871261X
  • deason91
    deason91 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your comments!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Feel for you, having had this for many years
    It’s no joke. Any kind of yoga stretch is good, things like cobra etc, also good to have some massage or acupuncture. Good to keep mobile as much as poss, if you google exercise for sciatica it will give you good postures for it.

Sciatica is a symptom, not an injury. illness, etc. Stretches can help, but you need to know what movements, or you can cause further issues.

The OP should see a doctor for a proper evaluation.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I started seeing a chiropractor a few weeks ago and got exam and X-rays. I am an ultra runner and have been struggling with a number of issues this year. I struggled with every run and DNFed so many races. Running became more of a chore an NO fun!! I was unemployed for 6 months, without insurance so couldn't see a doctor. I now have insurance, hence the chiropractor. Turns out I have a plethora of issues. About 2 weeks before I started seeing him, out of the blue, I started having sciatica pain. Turns out I have arthritis in my lower spine that is causing this pain. He says we can fix this and I trust him. My advice is to go see a chiropractor or physical therapist and get a real diagnosis. Help is out there!! Good luck!!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Agree with the others about seeing a physician. There are multiple causes for sciatic pain. My husband just had surgery for two bulging discs that were causing numbness and tingling down both legs. There can be permanent nerve damage if left too long. I hope you get it figured out. I know it's miserable.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    deason91 wrote: »
    For about three months, I've been struggling with lower back pain.

What do you think started it? Any change in occupation, workouts, etc?