Heart rate monitors-chest strap-women

Options
tecat810
tecat810 Posts: 4,539 Member
Hello!
I’ve been using a chest strap heart monitor that pairs with a Garmin Forerunner. Lately, it has not been measuring accurately, as I think it slips around my sports bra and chest (I am full busted). I use a Garmin strap and I also bought a softer one that I had hoped would stay put. Any recommendations for this issue from the ladies? I am frustrated, as I am not getting accurate data in my workouts! Thanks!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    When did you last change the battery?
  • clynds
    clynds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I always tucked mine up under my sports bra to hold it in place. I use a wrist one now. It's not as accurate, but more comfortable!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If you need just the HR reading and not any of the other running dynamics that some of the Garmin HR chest straps have, an optical HRM arm strap such as the Scosche RHYTHM+ or Wahoo TICKR FIT work well without the same issues with the "girls". They both feature Bluetooth and ANT compatibility.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into sportsbras that hold the HR monitor?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Start by making sure it's clean, especially the contact sensors.
    Then make sure the battery has some life left.
    Lastly, replace the strap - they don't last forever.
  • tecat810
    Options

FireOpalCO wrote: »
    Have you looked into sportsbras that hold the HR monitor?

No! I didn’t know those existed. Thanks!

• tecat810
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I bought a new one that is more flexible and it has the same issues as the old one. I don't think battery?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    tecat73 wrote: »
    Hello!
    I’ve been using a chest strap heart monitor that pairs with a Garmin Forerunner. Lately, it has not been measuring accurately, as I think it slips around my sports bra and chest (I am full busted). I use a Garmin strap and I also bought a softer one that I had hoped would stay put. Any recommendations for this issue from the ladies? I am frustrated, as I am not getting accurate data in my workouts! Thanks!

they arent going to be 100% accurate anyway. they just estimate calories burned . but I get what you are talking about. I wasnt blessed with a full bust. you could always wear it above your breast? like across the top of them? many women do that instead of underneath. hope you find a solution
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Is the strap tight enough? I read somewhere 100 years ago that the strap (before it’s stretched) should be about 8 inches smaller than the measurement for wherever you’re wearing it. That seems to be about right for me so when it’s stretched it stays in place. I wear mine right below the band of my sports bra and it only slips around if the band has loosened up.

I have DDD cups but also wear a quality sports bra that doesn’t move or shift around either (kind of a necessity at my size but if your bra shifts at all, that might contribute to the problem).
  • tecat810
    Options
    Is the strap tight enough? I read somewhere 100 years ago that the strap (before it’s stretched) should be about 8 inches smaller than the measurement for wherever you’re wearing it. That seems to be about right for me so when it’s stretched it stays in place. I wear mine right below the band of my sports bra and it only slips around if the band has loosened up.

I have DDD cups but also wear a quality sports bra that doesn’t move or shift around either (kind of a necessity at my size but if your bra shifts at all, that might contribute to the problem).

Thank you! I will try that. Maybe that is an issue. I might need to invest in a few more brooks sports bras. Those seem to work the best as well and that may be the culprit. I have two that are champion and don’t have as much tautness to the material for holding in place.

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

Thank you! I will try that. Maybe that is an issue. I might need to invest in a few more brooks sports bras. Those seem to work the best as well and that may be the culprit. I have two that are champion and don’t have as much tautness to the material for holding in place.

I also wear Moving Comfort (now Brooks) Maia bras. I have some Champion bras that are Ok and some that aren’t but I find the Maia works best for running. It seems the more movement there is in that area for me, the more the HRM strap gets jostled a little-especially if it’s not tight enough to begin with.

• tecat810
    Options
    Yes that’s exactly the issue. Today was burpees and a measurement of my heart rate at 89. Don’t think so!!

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I bought a new one that is more flexible and it has the same issues as the old one. I don't think battery?

Ok, so two different sensors?

What do you mean by not accurate? High, low, intermittent?
  • tecat810
    Options

Yes, I have a Garmin that has more plastic on the sensor, and then another that is soft all the way around and then just more rubbery where the sensor meets the skin.

By inaccurate I mean low.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Yes, I have a Garmin that has more plastic on the sensor, and then another that is soft all the way around and then just more rubbery where the sensor meets the skin.

By inaccurate I mean low.

Ok, thanks. All sounds a little odd if it's been reading ok and suddenly started to read low, and that's replicated with a second device. That might suggest a change in your body composition.

I'd echo the comments from @The_Enginerd, try the models that fit on the upper arm. That limits the issues around a bra and the only data you lose is the intra-beat stability and strength metrics. Most head-ends don't use that data anyway.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    When I wore a chest strap hrm I made sure it was super snug and wore it directly underneath my (bombproof) bra strap. Never had issues.

I've moved over to a strapless one now--Garmin Fenix 5S and couldn't be happier. The only time I have to wear a strap is if I care about my heart rate when swimming.
  • Carmen_TX
    Carmen_TX Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I get the best results when I put the strap on first, right where the lowest part of my bra will be, then wear a Brooks Fiona sports bra over it. That usually prevents it from sliding around and getting inaccurate readings.

The only other things I can suggest trying that haven’t already been mentioned is to make sure you’re putting the sensor in the middle of your chest and have rinsed off any sweat buildup from previous workouts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    I assume you're wetting the inner surface of the contact area, if the band instructions recommend it? (Both my old Polar and my newer Garmin bands recommend that.)
  • tecat810
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I assume you're wetting the inner surface of the contact area, if the band instructions recommend it? (Both my old Polar and my newer Garmin bands recommend that.)

Yes definitely. Today only a bike ride and no movement. It’s definitely a “staying in place” issue for the more movement oriented workouts.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yes definitely. Today only a bike ride and no movement. It’s definitely a “staying in place” issue for the more movement oriented workouts.

What are you hoping to gain from using it for that type of session?