Cravings please share tips

Options
2»

Replies

• Niccygetsfit
    Niccygetsfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I take a garcinia gummy.. i have found that helps or i take a long walk.. and i have started making bliss raw balls.. which is crushed nuts, dates, peanut butter and coconut which has really helped my cravings. I also allow myself to have one square of dark chocolate a day and i still have sugar in my coffee
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    its ok to eat or drink a bit of the white stuff mine is enargy drinks
  • carolinedance69
    carolinedance69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am trying to keep sugars low as I had breast cancer, I will check if I can take chromium with my meds too.i am trying to overhaul my lifestyle to reduce the risk of the cancer returning x thanks for the tips really helpful

Your doctor told you to cut back on sugar?

Not specifically but to drop weight, drink less etc and looking at my patterns sugars are waaaay to high x

Where did the sugar/breast cancer link cone from?

• carolinedance69
    carolinedance69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am trying to keep sugars low as I had breast cancer, I will check if I can take chromium with my meds too.i am trying to overhaul my lifestyle to reduce the risk of the cancer returning x thanks for the tips really helpful

Your doctor told you to cut back on sugar?

Not specifically but to drop weight, drink less etc and looking at my patterns sugars are waaaay to high x

Where did the sugar/breast cancer link cone from?

Not a specific link although lots swear their is, but my main downfall is sugary foods rather than fats.they are my downfall to eating crap so I am trying to find better ways of controlling my cravings to reduce my weigh and get to a healthy bmi
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating enough calories each day and getting a good balance of nutrients then keep in mind that a craving is just a brief wanting of something. Do something else. The desire will pass. I'm not saying never give in to a craving but learning that you have control over them is extremely freeing and helpful to long-term weight loss success.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I make sure to include lots of vegetables in my meal so that I feel fuller for only a few more calories. I actually have gone wild on salads lately, but the GOOD ONES! With creamy dressing, cheese and crunchy toppings. :wink: I literally go through 2 heads of lettuce and 1 tub of spinach per week! My breakfast is usually a whole grain tortilla wrap with 2 eggs and loads of spinach, peppers, onions and tomatoes with mayo and hot sauce. Delicious!

I also make sure to stay hydrated throughout the day. I try not to drink my calories because I would rather eat them.

I'm not hungry at all eating in between 1200-1400cals. That's another thing, my calorie goal is 1200cals but if I need to I eat a couple extra hundred calories, I don't worry about it. Some days I am hungrier than others and that's fine!

Finally, I make sure to save 100-200cals for a dessert after dinner. Lately, I've been having either a square or two of chocolate topped with a tiny bit of peanut butter and a couple strawberries or half a cup of vanilla ice cream with sprinkles.

Last night, I actually skipped on the dessert because I wasn't hungry!!

And I'm the type of girl that used to eat a whole tub of ice cream, a bag of chips and 3 chocolate bars to myself. :neutral:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

first of all wtg being a survivor. but the thing with cancer is it either returns or it doesnt. you can do everything right to prevent it from coming back but sometimes it still does. a friend of mine was on a chemo pill for several years and was taken off it several months ago and so far so good. she had breast cancer too. cancer is a tricky thing and I do hope you stay in remission and it doesnt come back.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,044 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I am trying to keep in all the recommended limits but previously I have used things like slimming world and I keep going way over sugars on fruit but if I cut the fruit a crave the sweet stuff it’s been a shock how much sugars I was taking in or am

I went over the MFP default sugar goal every day while losing 50+ pounds in less than a year, while the only added sugar I ate most days was a bit of concentrated fruit juice well down the ingredient list in a single daily 30-calorie tablespoon of all-fruit spread. The weight loss materially improved all my health markers (cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.).

As long as you're not using so much added sugar (or for that matter, eating so much fruit) that it drives other nutrition out of your diet (i.e, causes you not to get enough protein, healthy fats, fiber and micronutrients), you'll be fine, nutritionally speaking. Moreover, the whole fruit gives you lots of useful micronutrients and fiber. Eat the fruit! Eating fruit helped me reduce cravings for baked goods and candies; I found that to be a good thing,

I had stage III (locally advanced) breast cancer **. Both regular exercise and good well-rounded nutrition are positive things you can do for yourself to improve your odds of avoiding breast cancer recurrence. The micronutrients from fruit are a help to that. Really, eat the fruit. :)

** 5 tumors in one breast, 1 in the other, chemotherapy, the whole nine yards. Eighteen years ago. Take a deep breath, and make gradual, sensible, sustainable changes that will help improve your health. None of us has a guarantee, and there are no magical things to eat or avoid (not even sugar ;) ), or things to do or not do, that will assure we never have cancer again . . . but healthy habits can help to shift the odds in our favor. Minimizing stress is also a healthy habit, so try not to stress too much about it, if you can. The fears get smaller in your rear-view mirror, with time. Best wishes!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The MFP recommendation for sugar is based on the FDA recommendation for a limit on ADDED sugars. It's not meant to include sugars for fruit or to be used as a maximum when not-added sugars are lumped in as they are on MFP. Fruit contains antioxidants which bolster your immune system, very valuable for someone fighting cancer.

By the way, I'm a type 2 diabetic who eats fairly low-carb and I go over MFP's sugar limit all the time, without raising my blood glucose over normal limits.

If you are within your calorie limit, getting enough protein and enough fat, let the sugar fall where it may.
  • GeorgiaRose1717
    GeorgiaRose1717 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Watermelon has become my best friend. It's filling, hydrates you and is low in calories. It satisfies my sweet tooth. 😊