Fast Food Surprise

Options
I usually bring my lunch to stay better on track but yesterday I had to run out and grab something so I went to Wendy's and chose the baked potato with one little thing of "buttery spread" and one packet of RF sour cream and a Caesar side salad with the lemon dressing. Mostly because I know how quick those stats add up for the big specialty salads. Turns out I could have had a junior bacon cheeseburger and small fries and saved myself 70 calories. (740 vs. 670) I know, the potato and salad were healthier choices overall, but sheesh! That burger and fries would have been good! :sad:

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Caesar salad is NEVER good for you...that dressing is loaded with fatty crap.
  • ☆ShawnsMom08☆
    ☆ShawnsMom08☆ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Isn't that just crazy! :noway:
  • mimi2kk
    mimi2kk Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    LOL, that junior bacon cheeseburger does sound pretty good though!
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Hmm I never really think about this lol. Cause I would always thought a salad would be a better option.. oh well I guess thats why we learn from this.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I actually had one of those junior bacon cheeseburgers (without mayo) the other day while road tripping. It was NOT good.

I do like plain hamburgers from McDonalds though. My go-to fast food lunch is usually a McDs hamburger, side salad with vinaigrette and an ice cream cone! I think it comes to less than 600 calories.
  • fuminator18
    fuminator18 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    are you serious? that potato...or just a small butter spread did it, i bet
  • doodlekakes
    doodlekakes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That is so crazy. Eating the burger and fries feels like such an indulgence, and I need that sometimes to stay on the right track. I always seem to go over in fat when I have a small fast food meal, but I usually just focus on the calories and sugar. I really admire all of the "clean" eaters, but I need my junk sometimes!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Wow. well next time you know. lol i got a grilled chicken supreme with fries and a diet coke from there before. i tossed of half the fries in the garbage and it added up to about 500 calories. oh i asked for no mayo on my sandwich too. You need to do your research before you order next time because there are some hidden goodies out there that we can still enjoy. :)
  • SomethingElseToo
    Options
    At Wendy's, the ½ size Chicken Apple Pecan salad (with everything they offer for it) is in the 350 calorie range. I consider it a perfect size and a perfect calorie count. That's my 'go to' whenever we eat at Wendy's. :smile:
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    i wouldnt trust myself at wendys lol, im doing subway for the first time for dinner tonight and already had that planned out this morning so i knew i would b good
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Fast food salads are usually LOADED with fat and calories... I think Wendy's Chicken BLT salad has 40+ grams of fat, if I remember correctly? :noway:
  • EyeAye
    EyeAye Posts: 8
    Options
    I did the same thing the other day at work. We have a cefeteria and I forgot my lunch. I chose a potato dish that I thought would be filling and give me some variety without being "too bad" as it was a small portion. It ended up being 750 calories. Not worth it at all. It wasn't even good!
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I hate getting those mystery salads at fast food places. You think you're making a better choice and it turns out you're not. I make my own salads, and I never use dressing. I always put something with protein on top and it tastes great. A good alternative to bread for your egg salad, tuna, grilled chicken strips, guacamole, etc.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Darn it! Sorry, that sucks. Next time you'll know though...
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Fast food salads are usually LOADED with fat and calories... I think Wendy's Chicken BLT salad has 40+ grams of fat, if I remember correctly? :noway:

I know! Where the heck do they put all those fat and calories?!?! Seriously! I wonder how something that looks exactly like what you would make at home have so much more crap in it!
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a decent Fast food fix... don't know if you have Arby's near you but the Jr. Roast Beef is only 210 Calories, I will occasionally get two and throw away one bun which is a total of 280 Calories if my memory servers me right. There is info on MFP for the Jr with the bun, with half a bun and without the bun at all.

If you're not a big fan of roast beef sorry, Just thought I'd point out a not to unfriendly "junk food" option.

PS - Just checked the database... 280 Cals is correct for my little sandwich combo but beware you're looking at a hefty amount of sodium like most fast food at 810mg for that combo.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    That is so crazy. Eating the burger and fries feels like such an indulgence, and I need that sometimes to stay on the right track. I always seem to go over in fat when I have a small fast food meal, but I usually just focus on the calories and sugar. I really admire all of the "clean" eaters, but I need my junk sometimes!

this sounds like me too.
  • emanismom
    emanismom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I found out the hard way, like you, that just because it seems like a wiser choice doesn't mean it is. Here's something I try when I want fast food...I pack my own salad greens and free salad dressing. I usually go to Carl's Jr (Hardee's) and get the Terriaki Turkey burger (470 cal) or grilled chicken sandwich (370 cals) and eat that with my salad and a crystal light water. The best of both worlds.
  • kgesq
    kgesq Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they've banned trans fat where you are, but here in NYC, since they've done it, NOBODY's FF's are good--not even McD's [sniff]! So...eat whatever sandwich you want (except those Angus Burgers, WTH???) and skip the fries and soda. Or if you must, get the diet soda. It's so funny, people used to joke about people ordering a Big Mac, Fries and a Diet Coke--turns out the Coke is what takes the calorie count into overdrive! The fries make it soar. The sandwich, not too bad, especially if you're eating light for the rest of the day. Is it heart healthy or loaded with nutrients? No. But, sometimes, fast food calls...
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If I have to go to fast food, I always get a grilled chicken with no mayo, no cheese. Chik-Fil-A's Grilled Chicken Sandwich (not the club) is only 290 calories.

If I really want a burger and fries, I get a kid's meal to save money and calories.