Anyone Losing Weight Mainly from Fitness?

Options
fittnessing64
fittnessing64 Posts: 62 Member
edited October 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I know, I know, "weight is 80% diet". If you're just going to comment that, save time and don't bother ;)

But I was wondering if anyone isn't really dieting (or at least not restricting) and is seeing results through a new fitness routine or by increasing exercise?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I did manage what you wish to do a long time ago when I was in my early 20s. It was not my goal to lose weight, it was more of a side effect that kep me at something like 18 BMI and I think now a very low fat percentage for a woman. It involved a routine of something like 3-4 hours exercise per day, at least half of it aerobic, plus walking everywhere. I was at the time a post grad student, so usually I used a combinations of buses and lots of walking to get to uni, then walked really fast for an early lunch break half an hour to the cafeteria and another half to get back, had some more classes, a break of a couple of hours to spend two hours at the gym, a combination of intense dance classes and some weights, then would go back to assist in the lab until evening, and then usually joined a friend who was training for marathons (I was not into races, but would do part of his routine with him, so like an hour interval running). And then I had to use the combination of buses and walking to get back home.
    It must have been more than 1000 calories burned per day on exercise alone, but (1) it took me some years to get to that level and (2) it was for fun, doing things I loved, I cannot imagine exercising for hours just to lose weight without dieting.
  • fittnessing64
    Options
    @LKArgh Thanks for sharing that, it sounds like you were really active! Looks like I'd need to work on having a more active workout rather than on long workouts...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The thing is, one average sized dessert equals about an hour of walking or half an hour of harder cardio. It is very, very easy to exercise like crazy and still overeat.

I lost 125 lbs, from morbidly obese to normal weight, without ever reducing my calories lower than 1600 daily, and on most days I ate 2000 or more. I aimed for at least 400 calories of exercise daily. That's a lot of work, but it did have great results. I even managed to continue eating in a deficit after a leg injury which restricted my activity, by focusing on what I could still do.

But 400 calories equals the extra part of one slightly too large steak that you didn't weigh, you just eyeballed it. Or half a dessert eating out. Or a few too many fries off your husband's plate because you deserve them for working out every day. For consistent results it really is best to log consistently, so your eating doesn't increase as your exercise does and wipe out your exercise deficit.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Well, I have noticed that the times in my life when I have put on weight have been when my activity level has dropped (getting a sedentary job, or after injury), so adding activity has become an important part of my weight loss.

Being quite short and having a desk job, my recommended intake to lose weight is 1200cal, which doesn't really thrill me - I find it quite useful to supplement that a bit by adding in some exercise.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I spent three hours riding a bike in the sun today. That's three hours I wasn't tempted to snack. It's also fulfilling on a level that makes it easier to say no when people bring doughnuts into work and leave a box in the kitchen for everyone.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm hiking about 15-20 miles per week in the mountains. Most of my hikes burn over 1,000 calories each. I'm not physically tracking my calories and am losing weight. But I also know that I am not overeating most days (I've tracked my calories for years so I have a good grasp on how many calories I eat each day).
  • thelegendofsakura89
    thelegendofsakura89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I unintentionally did that in high school...but gained it all back when I couldn't keep up with the exercise volume.
    Way better to create a deficit with calories, it's more sustainable, but to each their own I guess.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

But I was wondering if anyone isn't really dieting (or at least not restricting) and is seeing results through a new fitness routine or by increasing exercise?

I have done, and kept it off for a couple decades.

But it requires a lot of work.

More recently I do a combination of exercise and not overeating.

• fittnessing64
    Options
    Thanks for the insights everyone!

For those wondering, I'd prefer to focus on fitness because I'm already not overeating. I guess technically I am eating too much for my current fitness level to achieve my goals, but I'm 5'4", early 20s and eat about 1500 and 2000 calories daily. I know I could lose weight by dieting but I was wondering if I could also just through fitness. Your answers are really helping me learn what I should aim for!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

For those wondering, I'd prefer to focus on fitness because I'm already not overeating. I guess technically I am eating too much for my current fitness level to achieve my goals, but I'm 5'4", early 20s and eat about 1500 and 2000 calories daily. I know I could lose weight by dieting but I was wondering if I could also just through fitness. Your answers are really helping me learn what I should aim for!

You can't just do it by fitness alone. You need to exercise yes. But you also need to watch what you eat to some degree.

Exercise is not a free ticket to over eating. But it is pretty easy not to over eat if you exercise daily.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

Exercise is not a free ticket to over eating. But it is pretty easy not to over eat if you exercise daily.

Exercise will redefine what over eating is for you.

When if first started on MFP i logged everything i ate and went to gym lifted weights and did some cardio. Then last year i took up cycling and since then I have to be conscious of eating more otherwise i lose weight.

How much you ride is definitely a huge part of the equation. I still lift a couple of times a week because its good for you but rarely log my meals.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    A lot of people here want to say it can't be done.

A friend of a friend just finished hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, and lost 40 pounds in the process. He ate entire jars of peanut butter in a sitting.