New member and confused! Advice welcomed

Options
Hey everyone! I'm really excited to start my weight loss journey! However, I'm a little confused. I've read some articles on here and it takes about cutting down carbs if you want to lose weight. But, the recommended carb goal is 50% of my calorie intake. Anyone know why they would recommended that to lose weight?

Replies

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    CICO. Cut Calories first, then worry about macros.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The 50% carbs is the program default. You can change it, if it doesn't suit you. Personally, I like higher protein and fat (keeps me feeling full longer), but my carbs are still high enough to not be considered low carb. The articles you are reading may or may not work for you. There is a lot of information out there and it doesn't work for everyone.

My recommendation for you would be to simply start by logging for a week or two without making any changes. This will give you an idea of how much you are eating, and give a good picture of where you might be able to cut back or make changes that are smaller and you can live with them. Big drastic dietary overhauls can lead to frustration and giving up.

There is a lot of great information on the site, but it is important to ask yourself if these are things you can see doing long term. Losing the weight is just the start of your journey, the rest is keeping the weight off. You need a long-term plan to implement. Do some reading. Particularly the most helpful posts at the top of the getting started and general health forums. Particularly those on logging accurately, and the Sexypants thread has a lot of great information.

The most important things you will need are patience, persistence, and being gentle with yourself.

• Ashlynnluv
    Ashlynnluv Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I did record a couple days of my meals and good lord my sodium and sugar intake are high!! So, I know I need to cut back on processed foods and sweets! I will do more research to find a goal that fits me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    ashlynnek wrote: »
    Thank you guys! I did record a couple days of my meals and good lord my sodium and sugar intake are high!! So, I know I need to cut back on processed foods and sweets! I will do more research to find a goal that fits me.

I switched out my sugar to track fibre. Most of my sugars come from fruits and vegetables, so I'm not too worried about it, but I also enjoy having a sweet treat now and again. (I also don't worry about sodium, but that's because I have lower blood pressure).

I'm glad you have a couple days of tracking. Take a peak at which food items are taking you away from your goals, and consider if there are alternatives to substitute, or if they are foods you can work in once in a while. The calories are the driver for weight loss, but there are a few extra things to keep in mind: feeling full, being happy with what you are eating, making it sustainable, finding balance between nutritious foods and treats, and eating enough that you don't feel like you are depriving yourself.
  • Ashlynnluv
    Ashlynnluv Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I will definitely keep those things in mind!