Is there a right way to jog?

Options
Hi All!
I’m wondering if there’s a correct way to jog/run?
I just started using my treadmill...I went from hardly moving to walking/jogging/sprinting for about 25 min in the morning. First week went well but the second week my knees were killing me! But not like my knees, the tendons below and to the inside?? I had to stop the treadmill, which I was actually enjoying, and started more like DVD workouts which are ok but I really liked the treadmill!
Is there a right way to jog so that my knees don’t get pulled again?
Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    It sounds like too much too soon to me...a C25K program is a good place to start...as I recall, it's 3 or 4 days per week...you need rest and recovery, especially if you haven't built up any kind of fitness base. Fitness is something that is built over time.

I'd also forgo the sprinting...as a former competitive sprinter, it is very hard on the body and you need a very solid base of fitness to avoid injury...even then, you are going to be far more injury prone with sprinting...it's really easy to pop a hammy...
  • jodiaraya
    jodiaraya Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I suppose I was sprinting to get my heart rate up...i was only sprinting like once during the 30 min then I was walking/jogging in intervals.
    I will def get fitted for shoes and look into those programs mentioned! Thanks everyone!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    A gradual work up is easier on the body and helps prevent injuries. You body needs some time to adjust to the extra motion and strain. If this is completely new to you, it can take weeks to months to condition slowly to a fairly comfortable run and recovery.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Not really. Just make sure you aren't doing too much or going too fast too soon.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Yes, most of your running should be at what is known as a "conversational pace". Google "talk test" for more information, but basically you should be running at a pace where you can still carry on a conversation in short, but complete, sentences.

The key to injury-free running is to build up slowly. Your cardiovascular system will improve much faster than your musculoskeletal system, so you'll feel capable of going faster and/or longer than your joints, tendons, and muscles are really ready for.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jodiaraya wrote: »
    Thanks!

One foot in front of the other, then repeat.

I'd agree that it sounds like you've overdone it.

Personally I'm not a bit advocate of gait analysis, it has a place but the importance is overblown. Never bothered myself and I've done seven marathons and ultras this season.

I'd support the above about using C25K though.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    As simple as running can be and as important as the right shoes are (there are also successful minimalist/barefoot runners) you do also want to pay attention to your posture/form, your length of stride (some people try to take too long of a stride for various reasons), and how your foot strikes the ground. Slouching or hunching your back or shoulders, taking too long of a stride, or if your heel strikes the ground very hard can each create a chain of injuries. I also agree with the others who have said you're doing too much too soon, and recommend that you start a little slower and easier to build a good foundation for running. If you treat your body right and "listen" to it through this process (and it's something you want to do) you can have made wonderful injury-free years of running ahead of you! Good luck!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    In addition to starting slower and getting good shoes, also video your form, with the camera behind you at knee level. Given the location of the pain, you might be swinging your feet out with knees caving in.. sort of like this:

fZfXCm9.jpg

That can often be improved through deliberate practice. :+1:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I suppose I was sprinting to get my heart rate up...i was only sprinting like once during the 30 min then I was walking/jogging in intervals.
    I will def get fitted for shoes and look into those programs mentioned! Thanks everyone!

Not sure of the logic of getting your heart rate up when you then had to walk....?
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    My vote also goes to slow down, do C25k and make sure your shoes are good enough for what you're trying to do. I also started running on a treadmill. The first time I tried to start C25k I ws so unfit (and overweight) that the 8 one minute runs it called for almost killed me. Don't think I actually managed to complete them. Obviously you're at a better level of fitness than I was, so you would probably actually find the first few weeks easy. That's actually a good thing. Too much too soon is the quickest way to hurt yourself, as is running too fast and too often without rest days.
    Not everyone agrees on the importance of good shoes, and you don't need to spend a fortune on super-duper shoes at this point. But at least make sure you're using something designed for running and not some cheap trainers from the supermarket like I did. Oh boy did they give me some awesome shin splints!
    Other than that, the right way to jog IMO is to put one foot in front of the other, mostly in a forward direction, listen to your body and enjoy it!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else, sounds like you just bit off a bit more than you could chew. Even if it feels like you have the endurance it takes our bodies a while to get used to running. Running can be pretty hard on your knees, feet, ankles, etc etc. Have to build up slowly to prevent injury.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Not everyone agrees on the importance of good shoes, and you don't need to spend a fortune on super-duper shoes at this point.

There's a bit difference between the right shoes and anything bought as a result of gait analysis.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Personally I'm not a bit advocate of gait analysis, it has a place but the importance is overblown. Never bothered myself and I've done seven marathons and ultras this season.

Are you a neutral?

I supinate, which I think is more rare...I was having major issues running because I had a shoe designed to correct pronation and it was causing extreme supination which was resulting in major posterior tibial tendinitis among other things.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I actually took a running clinic and the coach gave us a lot of feedback on form. It was helpful because we all do things weird things, like I was rotating my torso a lot with every step, which is inefficient and hard on my back. There are other tweaks like your head position, how you lift your feet vs. shuffling, etc. If there is a running club or something where you can have an experienced coach watch you, it could help prevent future problems. Also there is this book "Chi running" that is very focused on the 'right way' to run. I don't know if it's based on evidence or anything, but it does help me feel more natural on my feet.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited October 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Thanks!

Are you a neutral?

I supinate, which I think is more rare...I was having major issues running because I had a shoe designed to correct pronation and it was causing extreme supination which was resulting in major posterior tibial tendinitis among other things.

I overpronate quite significantly. I find far more effect from varying the heel/ toe elevation than anything else. Distance also plays a part. My road shoes have some cushioning, my trail shoes don't. Should probably add that for greater than marathon distance I will have a bit more cushioning, or swap shoes during the event.

Supination is less common, and tends to show up more as back pain
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a good neutral running shoe that is flexible, allows your feet to do the work, and have enough cushioning for the surface you are running on.

As far as form goes. don't worry about what part of your foot you strike with (heel strike, forefoot strike, etc...). Just work on striking center mass of your weight, try to keep a good posture, and it should feel natural.

Go at a slow easy pace until your joints become more conditioned.
  • JulesBooth
    JulesBooth Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just finished the couch to 5k programme. Never did running before so took it slow and steady all the way through. I got new running trainers after about the 4th week. My knees were a bit stiff sometimes but I always made sure I had a rest day inbetween my runs.