I gained 4 pounds.

My eating has been the same, under 1200 cals a day and under 20g of carbs a day. The only difference is that I’m going to the gym now. Ever since I started going, I stopped losing weight and actually gained 4 pounds. Been going to the gym for 1 month now. Wtf is going on? Should I eat less? This is ridiculous, the only reason I even started working out is to lose weight faster. I only needed to lose 13 more pounds to get to my goal. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    My eating has been the same, under 1200 cals a day and under 20g of carbs a day. The only difference is that I’m going to the gym now. Ever since I started going, I stopped losing weight and actually gained 4 pounds. Been going to the gym for 1 month now. Wtf is going on? Should I eat less? This is ridiculous, the only reason I even started working out is to lose weight faster. I only needed to lose 13 more pounds to get to my goal. What am I doing wrong?

Are you eating back 100% of your calories burned? Do you weigh everything you log?
  • Alarmed_one
    Alarmed_one Posts: 46 Member

Are you eating back 100% of your calories burned? Do you weigh everything you log?

I either scan everything or weight everything. I never over eat. I don’t eat my calories back because I’m not hungry. I’m a simple person and eat almost the same things every day. My weight was shedding off like crazy and as soon as I started working out, it stopped.
  • Alarmed_one
    Perhaps you are gaining muscle by going to the gym, which is a good thing.

I doubt it, if anything my body feels less tight and more flabby. I eat so freaken healthy, don’t even know how this is possible.....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    New or increased exercise causes water retention for muscle repair. Took me about six weeks for it to level off when I started out. Still bounces up after a heavy workout sometimes three pounds or more.

Ya, my own scale went up 7 pounds when I started working out again.

@Alarmed_one - where are you in your menstrual cycle? You may be retaining water from that as well, and have a nice big weight loss woosh in your near future.
  • Alarmed_one
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    New or increased exercise causes water retention for muscle repair. Took me about six weeks for it to level off when I started out. Still bounces up after a heavy workout sometimes three pounds or more.

Ya, my own scale went up 7 pounds when I started working out again.

@Alarmed_one - where are you in your menstrual cycle? You may be retaining water from that as well, and have a nice big weight loss woosh in your near future.

Period last week.... I mean, I’m not going to stop going to the gym, it can’t be bad for you lol I’m going to stick with my commitments. I just want to know if I’m doing something wrong.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    It’s perfect normal. Take measurements too. It really helps when the scale isn’t moving. You can still be losing inches.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Its definitely from working out.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

I either scan everything or weight everything. I never over eat. I don’t eat my calories back because I’m not hungry. I’m a simple person and eat almost the same things every day. My weight was shedding off like crazy and as soon as I started working out, it stopped.

scanned entries can be wrong and way off. and why are you eating under 1200 and not eating exercise calories back? you are not doing your body any favors eating so little food. you are under fueling your body

I eat when I’m hungry and I eat thing that make me full. I’m not going to slam food down my throat if I don’t want to eat. I’m not starving myself. If the scanned entries are as wrong as you say they are then I might be eating my calories back. Correct?

ok here is the thing, eating under your calorie goal and not eating back exercise calories you are undereating. which will results in hair loss, brittle nails, it can disrupt hormones,your period, can cause you to become dizzy,weak, kidney stones can develop as well as losing lean mass/muscle. no one said slam food down your throat but you have to eat enough to fuel your body and your workouts.

as for the scans being wrong, no that doesnt mean you are eating your calories back as you arent eating enough calories as it is. if you were given 1200 calories to eat,that is what you are supposed to net after exercise. so if you eat 1200 and burn say 400 thats a net of only 800 calories, you need to eat those back. now if you eat 1600 calories and burn 400 you will net your 1200. but anything under 1200 is too little for a majority of people.

its undereating so in a sense you are starving your body to a point.
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    edited October 2018
    Could be from the extra exercise your doing. It will balance out just be patient.