Maple Syrup For Fuel

Options
124»

Replies

• lynn_hickey
    lynn_hickey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through this whole thread, so forgive me if this has been said, but you should check out Endurance Tap. Maple syrup packs for runners. I recommend it over any gels, or blocks or whatever else
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic but, this thread reminded me I have a bottle of maple syrup on my shelf so thought I'd try it pre-workout. Then looked at label and realised it says, store in fridge? Can any of you experts tell me if this is really necessary? I don't want to bin it, but with an inflammatory bowel disorder and compromised immune system, I also don't want to get sick!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic but, this thread reminded me I have a bottle of maple syrup on my shelf so thought I'd try it pre-workout. Then looked at label and realised it says, store in fridge? Can any of you experts tell me if this is really necessary? I don't want to bin it, but with an inflammatory bowel disorder and compromised immune system, I also don't want to get sick!

If you don't see any mold, it's probably fine.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    (mold can sometimes start to grow in syrup after it's been opened and sitting around a while - only reason to refrigerate it, and a lot of people don't).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Played golf today and got finished later than expected. Got home and had to run 3.5 miles before it got dark so I didn’t have much time to eat a snack (breakfast before golf, no lunch). So I opened the fridge and thought, Mrs Buttersworth. So I had about a TBS of syrup, drank some water and went on my merry way. Best pace I’ve had since my last race. Anyone else have experience using syrup? It tasted great and I feel a super sugar high still (I’m about one hour post digestion).

....... you're Canadian, aren't you?
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    fish9283 wrote: »
    Maple syrup for athletes is a thing. They sell individual packets for runners and cyclists. Google it.
    Mrs. Buttersworth isn't maple syrup. It is artificially flavored maple sugar water.

Thank you for posting this as a Canadian I was offended.

I was just thinking that no self respecting Canadian would ever consider using Mrs. Butterworth as maple syrup. :p

People are just messing with you OP. Seriously though, good for you! I don't usually consume maple syrup, but sometimes I put some extra honey in my tea if I need a boost. The sugar helps.😊

I am vaguely offended that, to be a self-respecting anything,

Anyway, Canadians, lighten up about the syrup. There are better, stronger things that can define you (like Rush).

I guess there should have been a trigger warning! B)

As a Canadian I'll take maple syrup, poutine, nanaimo bars and beaver tails over Rush any day of thevweek!
  • ritzvin
    Options
    (it is also generally considered safe to skim away any mold that has grown and still use it)
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Played golf today and got finished later than expected. Got home and had to run 3.5 miles before it got dark so I didn’t have much time to eat a snack (breakfast before golf, no lunch). So I opened the fridge and thought, Mrs Buttersworth. So I had about a TBS of syrup, drank some water and went on my merry way. Best pace I’ve had since my last race. Anyone else have experience using syrup? It tasted great and I feel a super sugar high still (I’m about one hour post digestion).

Maple syrup for athletes is a thing. They sell individual packets for runners and cyclists. Google it.
    Mrs. Buttersworth isn't maple syrup. It is artificially flavored maple sugar water.

I was just thinking that no self respecting Canadian would ever consider using Mrs. Butterworth as maple syrup. :p

People are just messing with you OP. Seriously though, good for you! I don't usually consume maple syrup, but sometimes I put some extra honey in my tea if I need a boost. The sugar helps.😊

Anyway, Canadians, lighten up about the syrup. There are better, stronger things that can define you (like Rush).

As a Canadian I'll take maple syrup, poutine, nanaimo bars and beaver tails over Rush any day of thevweek!

Poutine is lovely. Can't forget poutine. Rush is sad you don't like them, however. Bryan Adams fan?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    We should start a thread that's titled: The best thing to come out of Canada is _______________________.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    (mold can sometimes start to grow in syrup after it's been opened and sitting around a while - only reason to refrigerate it, and a lot of people don't).

Cheers!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    We should start a thread that's titled: The best thing to come out of Canada is _______________________.

ryan reynolds

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

As a Canadian I'll take maple syrup, poutine, nanaimo bars and beaver tails over Rush any day of the week!

Poutine is lovely. Can't forget poutine. Rush is sad you don't like them, however. Bryan Adams fan?

LOL, I saw Rush way back when they were starting out (they opened for ELO) and it was one of the worst concerts ever. I do admire their musicianship but, with the exception of a couple songs, they've just never turned my crank.

Not big on Bryan Adams either.......but The Band is a different story altogether (I'm an old phart)