Anyone have tricks and tools for when they go to Restaurants and how to resist temptation?

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I usually skip dessert because it's rarely worth the calories (I'm a dessert snob). I don't get drinks or appetizers either.

Then it depends.. if I'm craving something specific, and it's not something that's easy to make at home, I get it and try to be mindful of my portion. If not, I go for whatever seems lower calories on the menu (often some steak or chicken with veggies, and I get some potato as a side as well because it fills me up).

Honestly though, nowadays I mostly go out when I crave something specific anyway (or really don't want to cook). Just crazy to spend $20 on a steak, veggies, and potatoes, when I could make the same thing for half as much at home (and have extra to boot). That being said, I'm a hungry person, and don't really like chains, so I don't often have leftovers.. just no way I could make 2 meals of most of the portions I typically get.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I don't eat out that much so I just order what I want. And what I want isn't usually something ridiculous with 5000 calories so it's really not a problem anyway. I only order water at restaurants and I just try to stay mindful and quit eating when I get full. If there's bread or rolls at the table, I eat one and that's it.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I actually eat out a lot, even while losing 50 lbs.

1. I have certain go-to low-calorie and delicious options at certain places: (avocado and sweet potato rolls at Japanese places, southwest chicken salad at Wendy's, 2 street tacos with onions and cilantro at the Mexican place, grilled chicken caesar salad at the Italian place, burger with a lettuce wrap and side salad at the local bar, etc).
    2. If it's a new place, I look up the menu beforehand and choose what sounds reasonable and delicious and will fit in my goals for the day or week.
    3. I'll eat a little lighter that morning if I can.
    4. If the entree portions are too big, I'll order a side-salad and a small plate (think tapas, small appetizers, cups of soup or chili, etc).
    5. I usually don't have appetizers, desserts, or drinks (once in a while, I'll have some vodka and seltzers if I have the calories for them).
    6. I expect the scale number to be high for next few days due to the sodium, even if I stayed within the calorie goals.
    6. If it's a new and special occasion with a type of food I've never tried before, I treat it like an EXPERIENCE and just order it! These occasions are very rare so it's nice to be able to partake and not have to worry about it becoming a habit.
  • _Arty_
    _Arty_ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Look at the menu before you go to determine what you will be having. This helps me avoid temptations. Also, never be afraid to ask for substitutions (veggies instead of fries, etc.).
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If it's a night out, party, or another "special" occasion (even just meeting friends for dinner) I prefer to bank some extra calories and just enjoy the meal. Unless there are special events several times a week, this has worked pretty well for me in general.

I'm terrible about "resisting" what I actually want to eat, and find that battle (and sitting there jealous of everyone else's delicious meals) to be far more painful than shorting myself a few days before and after to make up the difference.

I'll also "bank" that day by having very light (if anything) other meals.
  • tsd821
    tsd821 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My favorite strategy, when going to Mexican food, is to bring along celery and carrots to dip in the salsa, instead of chips. This lets me indulge in the flavor of the salsa and the urge to do something with my hands before the meal, plus it fills me up with vegetables so I don't need to eat as much of my entree. I know technically we shouldn't bring our own food along to a restaurant, but I've never had a server say anything about it before. (I usually bring enough to offer to share the veggies with my friends. They never take me up on it, though, so I just take it home to dip in hummus the rest of the week.)

Come to think of it, this would probably work at Chili's or Applebee's or somewhere if the group ordered chips for the table.
  • fesha1228
    fesha1228 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    tsd821 wrote: »
    My favorite strategy, when going to Mexican food, is to bring along celery and carrots to dip in the salsa, instead of chips. This lets me indulge in the flavor of the salsa and the urge to do something with my hands before the meal, plus it fills me up with vegetables so I don't need to eat as much of my entree. I know technically we shouldn't bring our own food along to a restaurant, but I've never had a server say anything about it before. (I usually bring enough to offer to share the veggies with my friends. They never take me up on it, though, so I just take it home to dip in hummus the rest of the week.)

Come to think of it, this would probably work at Chili's or Applebee's or somewhere if the group ordered chips for the table.

This would not work at Applebee's. It's actually a health code violation to bring in your own food. I work at Applebee's and have asked people to get rid of outside food and beverages. If said person were to get sick/food poisoning from the outside food it could then be blamed on the restaurant (in this case Applebee's). Unless it's a small child (toddler) having snacks to keep them quiet, I usually will say something, politely of course. I completely understand where you are coming from and wanting to make healthy choices. As a server, we have sides of celery and carrots that we can sell as a side option if that is something you prefer.

Not related to the subject, but I had one table bring in tortilla chips from Chipotle next door and try to eat that as their appetizer at Applebee's. Uh... no, just no. Don't do that. The table got pissed and left when I asked them to put them away. Oh well.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I usually look up menu and then figure out how much over the selections will put me, then do a workout before going enough to make up the difference and eat guilt free.