Topic regarding eggs and satiating but low calorie foods

Options
Is it just me, because people say eggs are the most filling foods but for me, even when I hardboiled eggs, they still aren't filling. I typically consume 2-3 which is average but I'm still hungry hahaha. However when I scramble them that's a whole different story. I can scarf down 12 eggs scrambled like theyre nothing

I thought about asking how they are filling. Like do you guys eat them with some other food to make that meal filling?

On the subject of satiety, I'll list a couple of basically 0 calorie foods that you'll actually enjoy. If you guys could list some that arent fruits or veggies that would be fantastic
1) Korean Muk
2)Sugarfree jello
3)Shirataki noodles
4)Tonkoden or basically Japanese muk
5) anything with agar agar hahah

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Any foods or close to zero calorie? Coffee all the way (espresso especially). I drink it and I'm good for a few hours at least.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,810 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious if you are eating slow enough. I used to eat much faster and thought I needed more to feel full. I just was not giving my brain time to tell myself I was full. Now, I strive to eat slower though old habits are hard to break. I find eggs and other proteins are quite filling. More importantly, they stick with me keeping me full nearly all day. Like @bpetrosky said, they also contain healthy fats which are also filling. Try eating just a bit slower to test this idea. Also, add a pat of butter or some fat on top of scrambled to make them even more filling. I can see that it would be easy to eat scrambled fast since they don't require much chewing, but chew the heck out of them anyway. I think you'll find it does help. Best wishes to you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Eggs alone will never fill me up. If I add some carbs, it's much better... even just an apple.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I find eggs very filling particularly when I make an omelette.

1. 2 eggs (180 calories) & 30ml skim milk (10 calories) in a bowl and whisk with some salt, pepper and whatever herbs or seasonings you like.
    2. 15ml olive oil (122 calories) in a pan, chuck in 60g spinach (15 calories), 100g mushrooms(20 calories. Stir until cooked then spread across the pan
    3. poor whisked egg into pan over the spinach and mushrooms and sprinkle 25g of shredded cheese (100 calories) on top cover with a lid and cook until done
    4. Serve and eat

Makes a huge omelette, about 450 calories all up and I'm always full as a boot afterwards.

Leave off the cheese and it's down to 350 calories, add an extra egg and half a tomato to the mushrooms and spinach and it's still only about 550 calories.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I love eggs. Eat them most days. I will either make a scramble with veggies or cook them over-easy, with some butter or olive oil. I also add either a bit of cheese or a piece of toast. Totally satisfying. For me it's not about volume but satiety.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I like rice cakes for satiation. But caution, they do tend to "bind you up" so to speak...
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    I like rice cakes for satiation. But caution, they do tend to "bind you up" so to speak...

Have a rice cake sammich with two slices of whole wheat bread. The fiber will keep you movin'.
  • PlasticGains
    PlasticGains Posts: 76 Member
    Options

??
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Eggs alone will never fill me up. If I add some carbs, it's much better... even just an apple.

That's exactly my experience. Eggs alone do absolutely nothing for me. I'm hungry half an hour after an egg dish, but once I add bread or an apple, I'm good till lunch.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others who say eat more than just the eggs. I had two eggs and a potato I sliced to make home fries today and it kept me full for hours, for under 300 calories. Another option I find very filling is an omelette with a big pile of veggies.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options

??

It means constipate.
  • PlasticGains
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'm with the others who say eat more than just the eggs. I had two eggs and a potato I sliced to make home fries today and it kept me full for hours, for under 300 calories. Another option I find very filling is an omelette with a big pile of veggies.

Wait isnt a potato usually 300 calories and 2 eggs 140 calories
  • PlasticGains
    Options

??

It means constipate.

Ooo haha
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Potatoes come in different sizes.

I grew my own potatoes this year. Some were huge but I'm down to the ones where I need 4-5 to get 200 grams worth.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Eggs fill me up, I noticed this years ago befor I started MFP. If I had to take a road trip eat a few eggs and I can make it until noon before being hungry again. Any other food I would have to snack on something.

I have been on a hard boiled egg kick for the past two months, almost every day for breakfast.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eggs are not filling to me unless combined with toast or a pile of vegetables.
    Gelatin is not filling to me at all. I have not tried the other foods mentioned in the OP.

Celery with peanut butter
    Yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Lentil soup
    Huge salad with vinaigrette dressing
    Wasabi peas
    Hummus
    Potato
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Both vary in size. That's why a food scale and looking up nutritional information before you eat things is a good idea. Eggs were 155 calories and the potato was 124.