Is sugar really that bad?

Options
I’ve checked NHS website and apparently sugar is bad because A too much causes weight gain and B it rots your teeth
If they really are the only negatives can I assume within a balanced diet with good oral hygiene there is no need to worry?
In context, my daughter is nearly 5 and loves chocolate cereal, she also loves veg, pasta, cheese etc etc - do I really need to agonise over which cereal has least added sugar? Because I’m fairly sure milk is loaded with sugar and she grew up on that!
Sugar seems to be portrayed as the enemy but I’m not convinced.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Sugar in excess is the problem. If she's eating sweets constantly and starts gaining too much then you'd be right to worry.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Sugar is ok in moderation as are all foods.
    As long as she’s meeting nutritional needs and not over consuming the recommendations of sugar in her diet for her age don’t worry about it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    I’ve checked NHS website and apparently sugar is bad because A too much causes weight gain and B it rots your teeth
    If they really are the only negatives can I assume within a balanced diet with good oral hygiene there is no need to worry?
    In context, my daughter is nearly 5 and loves chocolate cereal, she also loves veg, pasta, cheese etc etc - do I really need to agonise over which cereal has least added sugar? Because I’m fairly sure milk is loaded with sugar and she grew up on that!
    Sugar seems to be portrayed as the enemy but I’m not convinced.

Teaching your child how to eat a well balanced diet and helping them stay active, is the best thing you can do.

Having some sugar is perfectly fine. It's when they live off a sodas and candy bars, and don't get nutrient dense foods, where issues can come into play.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think if you are consuming sugar in moderation it is not really an issue.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I think kids will be kids and while I would attempt to have them eat a nutritious diet it is not always possible. Unless they are having trouble managing their weight I wouldn't stress. I do think as we become adults we need to pay more attention to our weight and sugar intake to stay healthy. Moderation is key but not always easy with many foods having more sugar than people realize.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    The issue I have with sugar and kids is that it does taste wonderful. Depends on the kid and the context. If a child understands (which is rare they do) that you should only eat sugary things occasionally and the parent controls what they eat, fine. The problem becomes when the child has more choices, like in school. Will they learn that they need to also eat their vegetables and protein?

I think the longer you keep your kids from eating sugar (and sweet juices) the better. Just my personal beliefs. Any parent that has fed a baby knows babies would rather eat Applesauce than Squash. I credit my wife a lot for being tough and teaching me as a parent how important those little things are. Once the parents give in to natural instincts for sweets, it becomes very hard as the child ages to curb their sweet tooth.

Well she does love sweet stuff but she also loves broccoli and lots of other veg :) I’m not sure if children do have sweeter teeth than adults but I agree it’s a consideration.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I was looking at all the labels on cereal boxes last week and came home empty handed. Have managed to get one of her favourites today and the new recipe is 33% less sugar :)