Is sugar really that bad?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Context and dosage matter....drinking multiple 40oz Big Gulps daily while leading a sedentary lifestyle...probably pretty bad for you. Having a reasonable amount of sugar in an otherwise balanced and nutritious diet...not a big deal.

How much is too much is also going to be dependent on how active one is. My kids are extremely active so a little extra sugar is an easy way to get them more calories and a burst of energy. They don't eat a lot of "junk food", but they do eat a lot of fruit.

Things like gatorades and juices/sodas are typically reserved for after soccer matches and special occasions like when we're out camping...fruit snacks on the way home after practices usually, and we typically give them something sweet but small for desert after the evening meal. They're both skinny as rails.

Sounds like when I was growing up. When we had dinner guests or went to family holidays we had soda to drink, otherwise it was juice with breakfast and milk with lunch and dinner. When Mom went shopping on Fridays, we each got 2 cans of soda (with our initials written on them) to have for the week. Except for special occasions like Halloween and Easter there was no such thing as unlimited sweets around the house. We could spend our allowance on sweets if we wanted to but it was usually a box of candy when we went to the movies or a soda and candy bar when we were at the beach (usually after biking a few miles to get there and playing in the water all afternoon).
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Oh but the chocolate milk at the end is the best bit!!!
  • elsaschraeder
    elsaschraeder Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    This literature scope of articles on breakfast cereal consumption & nutrition/health might be interesting to those so inclined:

https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/5/5/636S/4565784
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OP, it's not conscientious parents like you that this awareness drive is aimed towards, it's parents like my neighbors whose grade school kids all weigh over 200 lbs and seem to have Big Gulp cups grafted to their hands. They eat mac & cheese as a complete meal. If your child isn't obese and doesn't throw away fruit because it's not candy, you can afford a few indulgences.

On a related topic, I think cereal - even no-sugar added cereal - isn't such a great breakfast for anyone. Since most people don't drink the milk the cereal sits in, it has almost no protein, and will create a quick burst of carby energy which will be gone long before lunchtime. Usually it's fortified, which confers the same benefits the kid would get from eating a vitamin pill, aka, very limited benefits, vitamins outside the context of the foods they come in mostly go straight through and get peed away. Remember the 70's when cereal commercials said, "Part of a complete breakfast!" And showed the cereal sitting next to bacon, eggs, and a glass of OJ?

I'm not familiar with the evidence for the claim that our bodies can't process the vitamins found in fortified food or only processes a very limited amount of them. As someone who is part of a population that receives a key nutrient from either supplementation or fortified foods (vegan, B12), what I've seen is that these this can work to meet our nutritional needs. What we've seen in B vitamin and iodine deficiency rates in the US since fortifying flour and salt became standard also help support the idea that fortification *can* be a useful strategy for ensuring people get what they need. What have you seen to indicate that it won't work to reduce deficiencies?
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The current US dietary guidelines recommend limiting foods with excessive added sugars (foods with corn syrup, sugar, etc added during processing) because of the link to heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and weight gain.
    About half the added sugar consumed by Americans actually comes from beverages like soda.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/news/2016/new-dietary-guidelines-urge-americans-eat-less-added-sugars-saturated-fat-and-sodium
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    OP, it's not conscientious parents like you that this awareness drive is aimed towards, it's parents like my neighbors whose grade school kids all weigh over 200 lbs and seem to have Big Gulp cups grafted to their hands. They eat mac & cheese as a complete meal. If your child isn't obese and doesn't throw away fruit because it's not candy, you can afford a few indulgences.

On a related topic, I think cereal - even no-sugar added cereal - isn't such a great breakfast for anyone. Since most people don't drink the milk the cereal sits in, it has almost no protein, and will create a quick burst of carby energy which will be gone long before lunchtime. Usually it's fortified, which confers the same benefits the kid would get from eating a vitamin pill, aka, very limited benefits, vitamins outside the context of the foods they come in mostly go straight through and get peed away. Remember the 70's when cereal commercials said, "Part of a complete breakfast!" And showed the cereal sitting next to bacon, eggs, and a glass of OJ?

I'm not familiar with the evidence for the claim that our bodies can't process the vitamins found in fortified food or only processes a very limited amount of them. As someone who is part of a population that receives a key nutrient from either supplementation or fortified foods (vegan, B12), what I've seen is that these this can work to meet our nutritional needs. What we've seen in B vitamin and iodine deficiency rates in the US since fortifying flour and salt became standard also help support the idea that fortification *can* be a useful strategy for ensuring people get what they need. What have you seen to indicate that it won't work to reduce deficiencies?

Yep. My blood work routinely shows that the only Vit D showing up is the D3 from my Vit D supplement. I don't know if it works as well, but I do at least know it's sticking, not getting peed out!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yep. My blood work routinely shows that the only Vit D showing up is the D3 from my Vit D supplement. I don't know if it works as well, but I do at least know it's sticking, not getting peed out!

Oh, yes. Vitamin D is another one that many people get from either supplementation or fortified foods. Given how many people begin taking it after having low levels of it observed in their blood work, we'd *know* if supplementing with it didn't work!
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    As I understand it, the deal on supplements and fortified food is this:

Supplements get peed out, if they are in excess of what the body needs and is getting from other parts of the diet.

Supplements are absorbed and used by the body, if the body needs them and hasn't gotten them elsewhere.

My doctor calls supplements "insurance." They're a relatively cheap way of insuring that the body is getting all it needs, just in case one's diet lacks a bit here and there. He's a pretty decent doctor. :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    As I understand it, the deal on supplements and fortified food is this:

Supplements get peed out, if they are in excess of what the body needs and is getting from other parts of the diet.

Supplements are absorbed and used by the body, if the body needs them and hasn't gotten them elsewhere.

My doctor calls supplements "insurance." They're a relatively cheap way of insuring that the body is getting all it needs, just in case one's diet lacks a bit here and there. He's a pretty decent doctor. :)

This matches my understanding. We do eliminate (some) vitamins when they're consumed in higher quantities that we need (whether they're directly from food or from supplements/fortified foods), but if you're in a situation where you need them, then your body will use them.