Body-weight strength training in limited areas

Options
One of the thing I want to do is build some lost strength. I have low ceilings, limited floor space, and no door frames that will support a pull-up bar but I want to find some decent exercises to build up functional strength. I'm not looking to build muscle (body building). When I say functional, I guess I mean real world stuff like bending, lifting somewhat heavy objects, climbing (stairs and hiking), carrying moderately heavy loads, etc.. The things a person might need to do on a day to day or emergency basis.

I haven't done anything since 2009 and I have asthma, though I'm not letting that stop me,so I thought the Nerd Fitness beginners workout would be a decent place to start. I know it's a beginner routine to basically get one moving again and not a long term thing but I like it because it covers a lot of bases and can be done with my space limitations.

What body-weight exercises would you recommend?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    a lot of darabee workouts are body weight
    there is also your body is a gym and convict conditioning or some forms of pilates and yoga
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    there is also your body is a gym and convict conditioning or some forms of pilates and yoga

Agree with this. ^ Also a pair of gymnastics rings is one the cheapest yet most versatile training tools you can purchase. Go outside and throw them over a tree branch.

Also, I've never tried any of their routines but I get a lot of advertisements for BodyRock and the exercises I see them do look great for someone with little room and very challenging.
  • FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Thank you. I'll have to check these out.
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options

Agree with this. ^ Also a pair of gymnastics rings is one the cheapest yet most versatile training tools you can purchase. Go outside and throw them over a tree branch.

Also, I've never tried any of their routines but I get a lot of advertisements for BodyRock and the exercises I see them do look great for someone with little room and very challenging.

Thank you. I'll add BodyRock to my research list. What types of things do you do with the rings?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Lift 4
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thank you. I'll add BodyRock to my research list. What types of things do you do with the rings?

You can do all sorts of things. Pull-ups, dips, push-ups, skin-the-cat, hanging knee/leg raises, inversions, etc. Once your strength is more advanced there are all sorts of progressions.
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Lift 4

Hi. Thanks for the recommendation. when I Googled it, I only got searches relating to Lyft/Uber. What is Lyft 4?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just to second what you already mentioned, the Nerd Fitness beginner program IS a great place to start!
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options

You can do all sorts of things. Pull-ups, dips, push-ups, skin-the-cat, hanging knee/leg raises, inversions, etc. Once your strength is more advanced there are all sorts of progressions.

I'm going to keep this idea in mind for when I get stronger. I wouldn't make good use of them at the moment I'm afraid.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Lift 4

Hi. Thanks for the recommendation. when I Googled it, I only got searches relating to Lyft/Uber. What is Lyft 4?

lift 4 is an 8 week lifting program through body on demand. I have asthma and joint pain too but...in three weeks my asthma lifted. I can breathe so much better and my aches and pains are gone. I feel great...I love this program,
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Just to second what you already mentioned, the Nerd Fitness beginner program IS a great place to start!

Have you done it?
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options
    Lift 4

lift 4 is an 8 week lifting program through body on demand. I have asthma and joint pain too but...in three weeks my asthma lifted. I can breathe so much better and my aches and pains are gone. I feel great...I love this program,

Wow. That's fantastic for you. I'm glad it gives you some relief. I'll do another search with the addition of body on demand.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Have you done it?

I did for a while, but not long enough to really judge results (I was gifted a set of second-hand dumbbells).
    I enjoyed it though, it was easy to do in my apartment living room, and loved how you could make the moves easier or harder depending on your level. It was recommended to me by several friends who had done it and progressed nicely until they could commit to the gym or home weight lifting.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    One of the thing I want to do is build some lost strength. I have low ceilings, limited floor space, and no door frames that will support a pull-up bar but I want to find some decent exercises to build up functional strength. I'm not looking to build muscle (body building). When I say functional, I guess I mean real world stuff like bending, lifting somewhat heavy objects, climbing (stairs and hiking), carrying moderately heavy loads, etc.. The things a person might need to do on a day to day or emergency basis.

I haven't done anything since 2009 and I have asthma, though I'm not letting that stop me,so I thought the Nerd Fitness beginners workout would be a decent place to start. I know it's a beginner routine to basically get one moving again and not a long term thing but I like it because it covers a lot of bases and can be done with my space limitations.

Not bodyweight, but...

Your real-world examples are all pretty much deadlifts (or things aided by strong hamstrings which are worked by deadlifts)...so if you can, it's a pretty good thing to start with -whether barbell (which could be stored upright in a corner or under bed/couch)(not recommended to use much weight unless a sturdy floor), dumbbell(s), kettle bell(s), loaded bags,... Bent-over rows are a good pulling-type exercise, and I found it to work the core very well too.. and would be doable with the same weighted object(s) you could deadlift.

** These are the 2 movements that I credit for doing the most to improve my real-world functional strength in things I do regularly. Deadlifts improved my running and hiking immensely (my hamstrings used to fatigue much more quickly when running or hiking uphill) and I have an easier time lifting groceries from the supermarket floor (I use a massive newsboy bag and over-stuff it with a ridiculous quantity of food). The bent over rows strengthened my core so that I no longer got back pain when running/hiking/cycling uphill or bending over to wash my face at the bathtub faucet.
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    TRX. You can find lots of tutorials on making a set for your self. In fact, I’m finishing up instructions on making a version that fits in a pencil case and costs less than US$10 to make.
  • mdavies17
    mdavies17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just crawling across the floor (opposite leg/arm stepping at the same time with your spine straight) is a surprisingly good workout for core, shoulders, legs, and stability. Go slow to make it harder. If you want to protect your lower back while lifting you'll want to strengthen your hips. Look up some pilates-oriented exercises for sure. That stuff kills! Good luck:)
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

Not bodyweight, but...

Your real-world examples are all pretty much deadlifts (or things aided by strong hamstrings which are worked by deadlifts)...so if you can, it's a pretty good thing to start with -whether barbell (which could be stored upright in a corner or under bed/couch)(not recommended to use much weight unless a sturdy floor), dumbbell(s), kettle bell(s), loaded bags,... Bent-over rows are a good pulling-type exercise, and I found it to work the core very well too.. and would be doable with the same weighted object(s) you could deadlift.

** These are the 2 movements that I credit for doing the most to improve my real-world functional strength in things I do regularly. Deadlifts improved my running and hiking immensely (my hamstrings used to fatigue much more quickly when running or hiking uphill) and I have an easier time lifting groceries from the supermarket floor (I use a massive newsboy bag and over-stuff it with a ridiculous quantity of food). The bent over rows strengthened my core so that I no longer got back pain when running/hiking/cycling uphill or bending over to wash my face at the bathtub faucet.

I have heard other people say deadlifts are probably one of the single best all round things a person can do for functional fitness. I do have a set of dumbbells laying around I could use. The NF beginners routine does have bent over rows included so I think I'll add the deadlifts to that. I sit at a desk all day long and get back pain because of it. If these exercises can help with that, it'll be worth it.

Thank you for the suggestions.
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options
    ata1anta wrote: »
    TRX. You can find lots of tutorials on making a set for your self. In fact, I’m finishing up instructions on making a version that fits in a pencil case and costs less than US$10 to make.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm very interested in learning about the kit you describe.
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options
    mdavies17 wrote: »
    Just crawling across the floor (opposite leg/arm stepping at the same time with your spine straight) is a surprisingly good workout for core, shoulders, legs, and stability. Go slow to make it harder. If you want to protect your lower back while lifting you'll want to strengthen your hips. Look up some pilates-oriented exercises for sure. That stuff kills! Good luck:)

Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like you are describing something different from an Army crawl. Are you saying to be on hands and knees while doing this or belly to the ground crawling?
  • prspigner
    prspigner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider getting a Personal Trainer, maybe once a week. It can get costly however he/she will teach you to lift correctly. Injury prevention is a must. A good trainer will assess your fitness level, help you establish goals, motivate you, design a program, and evaluate your progress. Even if you are very knowledgable a Personal Trainer can provide so much more. Check with your local community college or University. They will have Health/Physical Science students that may help you for free. Some professors may help you free of charge. Google "Exercise Is Medicine"(EIM)www.exerciseismedicine.org. If you are over 55 years you can get free help, depending on where you live.