Belviq or Wellbutrin for Weight Loss

Options
Just seeing if anyone has had success incorporating Belviq, Wellbutrin, or Phentermine while losing weight? I am thinking of seeing if my doctor can write out a prescription for one of these, as I hear it can help with hunger, cravings, binge eating, etc. Thanks.

Replies

• carrieross733
    carrieross733 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have taken phentermine and am currently on wellbutrin for depression. I can tell you that neither one caused a substantial increase in weight lost as compared to not taking them.

I would try this app for for, say, a month and see how it works out for you. Like others have said you cant take it forever. Also, the majority of people that I've either know personally or heard on here that have taken phentermine and then went off of it, gained all the weight back plus some 🤷‍♀️

Please dont rely on drugs to get you to your goals...other than that, best of luck to you!
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine a couple years ago and became such a raging psycho I had to stop taking it. I was on Wellbutrin for depression and it agitated my bipolar disorder so I had to stop taking it. But I didn't notice any weightloss on it. Like at all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I took Wellbutrin years ago as it is often prescribed to people trying to quit smoking...it neither helped me quite smoking, nor did I lose any weight.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Many of the posters on MFP are avidly anti-prescription diet pill. This probably isn't the best site to mention that you're taking them because the critics will pile on claiming they are concerned for your health. If you want support, talk to your doctor about it and see what he/she says. Most doctors will not prescribe diet pills.

I've taken phentermine, Fen-phen and Belviq. I thought Fen-phen was the best stuff ever except for the heart valve damage issue. Truly, except for the death side effect, it was a miracle drug. They don't sell it anymore, obviously. Phentermine feels to me like I've drunk a lot of caffeinated coffee and it does help eliminate appetite so it's easier to eat less and lose weight. I don't like the feeling it gives me.

My doctor is a big fan of Belviq and tried to get me to take it from the time it first came on the market. He takes it himself. I started taking it a year or so ago. I take a half dose (10 mg once a day instead of twice) and have been on and off it a couple times. It's about $100 per month with the coupon from the manufacturer and is not covered by my insurance even if used for diabetics. In trials there were concerns about the possibility of heart valve damage because fenfluramine had that issue. There were no cases of heart valve damage reported in trials or since, just the concern that it might be a possibility in any diet drug.

Belviq works differently from other diet pills. It doesn't work for everyone. You are either a "responder" or not. You can tell after several weeks of use whether or not it is working for you. If it isn't, you're not a responder and it is useless to continue it. If you are a responder, it will make you become satiated faster with smaller amounts of food. Unlike phentermine, which makes you not hungry, with Belviq, you will still get hungry. You just get full with about half the amount of food and will likely have almost no food cravings. It's like a willpower booster. I believe I remember reading that about half of people are responders. The first couple days of use, you may get a headache and be VERY tired. I'd suggest starting it when you don't have to work and have no social commitments, such as a quiet weekend.
  • ashlaura581
    ashlaura581 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have Wellbutrin and it’s ok but my adhd meds help a lot more
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    jilrayme wrote: »

Also when I stopped taking it, i gained the weight back. Seems like the same was true for you, seeing how you were taking Rx pills back in the fen-phen days and again during the Belviq days.

So now I think it's better to lose weight without artificially suppressing your appetite, so you can learn healthy habits without that crutch.

I'd love to have my happy pill/speed cocktail back, if I could take it forever with no consequences. But that is simply not possible.

Very true. I don't think I gained Fen-phen weight back for several years. Actually, I think my current ideal weight is somewhere around my "fat" weight in my Fen-phen days.

I don't see any problem with using a little help to lose weight. Of course, we have to practice healthy habits both to lose weight and to keep it off whether or not we use medication. I've lost hundreds of pounds over the years. And I've lost it quite a few times. I've kept it off for periods of years here and there, and other times gained it back immediately. If I were ever going to stick to a lifetime of healthy habits, it would have happened by now. I stopped thinking weight loss was going to be permanent about 4 "lifestyle changes" ago and it has nothing to do with my use of diet pills for about 3 months in my mid 20's or again in my very late 40's for about a month or now in my early 50's for about a year.

I wouldn't recommend diet pills to anyone. If you want lose weight without them, I think that is best. I also think the risk of some diet pills is less than the risk of obesity related health complications. Phentermine (the happy pill/speed) has a long safe track record. Belviq (no happiness or speed effect from that) has a short, safe track record so it is way too soon to tell whether it is truly safe or not. Check back in about 10 years.
  • meryland74
    meryland74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started my journey right on the app, while under medical supervision. I need to lose about 60-70 lbs, I am also pre-diabetic and my cholesterol is a bit high. Doctor decided to put me on a low 1200 cal diet and also prescribed Belviq. I keep track of my calorie intake, I log in all my foods here and also take the Belviq XR which is once a day and Metformin twice a day for blood sugar. I started my diet on December 27, 2019 and a week later I started with Belviq. I have lost 15 lbs. No significant side effects. I got my heart tested before starting medication since this is important. Good luck
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was on Welbutrin for depression right around this time last year when I started trying to lose weight and get healthier. With consistent diet and regular exercise I was able to lose the need for the antideppressant and have been off of it since April, about 9 months. I did notice my appetite increase a bit after I went off, but was initially able to keep the weight off. I eventually gained a few pounds back but that was stress and vacation and not related to the meds. All of teh add and antideppressants that have been effective for me likely target dopamine. I incorporated L-tyrosine as a supplement and was able to squelch some of teh additional hunger that happened when going off the Welbutrin.

Long back story, but regular moderate exercise can be as good if not better than certain drugs. The addition of supplements like tyrosine may help in some cases to boost energy and suppress cravings. YMMV.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Hunger, craving, binging, etc., are things that are very context sensitive. If you've been overeating and have not been on a healthy track in general, cravings and poor food discipline can really make it hard to diet. But once you're rolling with a diet, a lot of that stuff miraculously goes away or goes so deep into the background that it isn't much of a problem, except for the occasional inexplicable binge, which is GOING TO HAPPEN whether you take a pill or not.

The problem with prescription diet pills is what the pharma companies always say at the bottom. And I'm paraphrasing Belvic here: IF you combine Belvic with diet and exercise, you may lose 5 % of your weight in 12 weeks.

Another way to lose 5 % of your body weight in 12 weeks is to just do the diet and exercise and skip the pill. In fact, any kind of reasonable diet and exercise program will easily take off that 5 % in 12 weeks - for a 200 lb person, that'd be well under a pound a week, and for a 300 pound person it's be slightly over a pound a week, but as a previous 300 pounder, I can tell you that weight drops very, very fast when you're 300 pounds, so that'd be easy.

Also, there's no telling whether the first week or two, when most people drop a bunch of water weight, is being included in Belviq's "5 %" claim. It probably is. That's the Nutrisystem trick - "lose 10 pounds in 30 days". Well, yeah, many people lose 5-6 pounds in the first week. Of which fat constitutes a pound of it. The rest is water and will come right back as soon as you stop dieting. Good for marketing purposes, though.

In truth, all Belvic (and the others) are saying is, if you diet, exercise and take this pill, you'll lose the weight you'd lose with diet and exercise. So ... why bother? We know these pills have side effects. Any time you flood your brain with chemicals, you're taking a risk. At least reserve that for risks that are necessary.

I know it's a little intimidating starting a diet and thinking you're going to be hungry and binge-y and all that, but those sensations can subside and/or disappear rather quickly once you get in gear - the right mindset, exercise, and the right amount of food.

In truth all you need is an MFP calorie goal, good calorie counting, hitting that target everyday, and some physical activity. You will lose the weight. And in a couple of weeks you will have much better control over your hunger and cravings, all by yourself, without the aid of a pill.

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    What have you tried so far to lose weight, for what duration (meaning every day for x weeks/months/years) and what have been your results? These medications are not without side effects and are only tools to curb cravings which are learned behaviors. Once you stop the medication the cravings will return if you don't fix the underlying problem (eating too many highly palatable, highly caloric foods). You still have to maintain a calorie deficit and should be eating highly nutritious, lower calorie foods (i.e. whole foods, not ultraprocessed foods) which can reduce the cravings.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin is not a "diet pill." It is a drug designed to treat people with a medical condition--depression. Some patients do experience a side-effect of weight-loss while taking Wellbutrin. This can be helpful as many patients experience weight gain as a symptom of depression.

Taking medicine for which you do not have the condition which it is designed to treat is not a good idea. And it could be dangerous, akin to someone taking thyroid drugs who do not have hypothyroidism (which can slow metabolism a bit) so they can "speed up" their metabolism and lose weight. They could very well speed it up into a heart attack.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    This is an old post from 2018 and the OP has deleted their account.