I want to start weight training again...

Options
But don't know where to start....Theres that many routines out there I don't know which one to pick but want something simple and effective as I will be working out at home.

I have barbell/weights, kettlebells, resistance bands and a step (which I use for bench press). I do appreciate I can't progress weights to a high level due to me working out at home but for now I just want to get back into some exercise so not looking for a particular goal except to lose fat which I do at a calorie deficit (still about 20lbs to go).

I used to have a PT and we used to do the following:

Workout A
Deadlift
Bent Over Row
Overhead Press
Squats

Work B
Lunges or Split Squats
Glute Bridges
Pull Ups (via machine)
Push Downs (via machine)

I used to enjoy doing this but what alternative could I use for the pull ups/push downs as I don't have a machine at home? Would pushups or bench press be OK?

Any other tips/advice/routines would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
  • FroFitMom39
    FroFitMom39 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A few alternative for pull ups and pull downs; dumbbell rows, renegade rows, landmine rows or negative bicep curls all work the back. I started lifting 3 years ago and used Beachbodys 90 day Body Beast program. You've a got a lean version and bulk version. Along with modifications. Great starter program. I still use it as an add on to lift sessions.
  • rockymtdeb
    rockymtdeb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nike and Body space are two free apps that have workout routines.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You could buy a doorway pull-up bar. If you can't pull your bodyweight yet have your spouse or whoever stand behind you and put your feet on their thighs for slight assist. If there is no one to help you do this you could use an appropriate strength resistance band, hang it from the bar, and put your foot in it like a stirrup-similar to the assisted pull-up machine.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    But don't know where to start....Theres that many routines out there I don't know which one to pick but want something simple and effective as I will be working out at home.

I have barbell/weights, kettlebells, resistance bands and a step (which I use for bench press). I do appreciate I can't progress weights to a high level due to me working out at home but for now I just want to get back into some exercise so not looking for a particular goal except to lose fat which I do at a calorie deficit (still about 20lbs to go).

I used to have a PT and we used to do the following:

Workout A
    Deadlift
    Bent Over Row
    Overhead Press
    Squats

Work B
    Lunges or Split Squats
    Glute Bridges
    Pull Ups (via machine)
    Push Downs (via machine)

I used to enjoy doing this but what alternative could I use for the pull ups/push downs as I don't have a machine at home? Would pushups or bench press be OK?

Any other tips/advice/routines would be greatly appreciated.

There's nothing in your routine for chest, so push-ups/bench press would be a good addition. You could do rows, back flys, band lat pulls, or assisted pullups for back. Instead of push downs (I'm assuming for triceps) you can do triceps push-ups or tricep extensions with dumbbells (overhead or behind). Push ups and bench press also use triceps.