What do you do if you’re spouse likes junk food?

Options

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I ask my hubby to take it to his man cave,computer room. Probably a bit controlling but a girls got to do what a girls got to do. I don't mind some of this stuff at dinner time but not late at night.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    In a couple of weeks, my hubby is going to be bringing home 3-4 grocery bags full of clearance Halloween candy (he does it every year). We live in a small house, and nobody's "hiding" anything in it. However, having things out of sight and not staring you in the face every time you go to the kitchen is helpful. He usually stashes everything in the basement, and if I want it, I at least have to make the effort of making a trip downstairs, and it gives me time to reconsider. Aside from that, my hubby is very active and eats nutritious, low-calorie foods throughout the day so he can come home and indulge in seemingly endless amounts of pizza & ice cream after work. He's slim & healthy, so don't sweat it if you want a bowl of ice cream and a donut and you have the room for it in your day. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    In a couple of weeks, my hubby is going to be bringing home 3-4 grocery bags full of clearance Halloween candy (he does it every year). We live in a small house, and nobody's "hiding" anything in it. However, having things out of sight and not staring you in the face every time you go to the kitchen is helpful. He usually stashes everything in the basement, and if I want it, I at least have to make the effort of making a trip downstairs, and it gives me time to reconsider. Aside from that, my hubby is very active and eats nutritious, low-calorie foods throughout the day so he can come home and indulge in seemingly endless amounts of pizza & ice cream after work. He's slim & healthy, so don't sweat it if you want a bowl of ice cream and a donut and you have the room for it in your day. :)

Ya, our Halloween type candy is stashed in the basement too, and this works very well for me.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think moderating or abstaining takes some work and strategic thinking not just sheer willpower.

Some specific things I have done:
    Once my dh brought home a particular type of chip. I ate most of the chips and told him he should only have that kind outside of the house from now on as it was really hard for me to moderate eating those. He has not brought them home since. Our house is not chip free just not that particular type at home.
    I buy smaller amounts and dh has gotten on board with that. Dh will now bring home a couple of doughnuts instead of a dozen.
    I put food out of sight in cabinets or on a shelf. It is much easier than if it is on the counter.
    If we have something I will be tempted by I might put them in the freezer so I do not overeat. I do this with muffins and unfrosted cupcakes and just take out a few at a time.
    When I grocery shop I get foods I like and then I am less tempted by someone else's stuff. I have a stash of dark chocolate.
    I got a doughnut pan to make baked doughnuts. If I make things myself I can make a lower calorie version if I want.
    For things like Halloween or Christmas candy we each have a bag with our name on it with our evenly divided candy in it. When it is gone it is gone. We do not eat someone else's stuff.
    Prelogging food is helpful for me to see if I can afford to eat some of these things and decide if they are worth it. I generally have 100-300 calories for snacks. I'm pretty unwilling to use up a lot of my meal calories on cake that is going to just leave me hungry later.
    On special occasions I will probably have a maintenance calorie day to enjoy a larger meal or dessert.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Shanel0916 wrote: »
    For some of us 1 piece or 1 serving of "junk" snowballs into weeks of being off track, hell sometimes even years. :#

But would you force others around you to give up foods because YOU can't moderate your intake?

No, hence the years part, lol.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    For me it all comes down to focus and determination and decisions I make in advance. If I am feeling hungry and/or vulnerable for some reason (lack of sleep is a big thing for me; I will want to eat *all* the food) then the advance decision is *not*one*bite*. Yes, Kirkland Signature roasted, salted, mixed nuts, I am talking about your siren song. There are other times where the 180 calories from 1 oz of weighed product can be put into my 1340 calorie allotment quite easily. When on maintenance, I have more calories to play with and the decisions are less fraught.