I know you can't spot reduce but....

Options
2»

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys....is any type of cardio okay i.e Stationary bike, treadmill, elliptical im conscious of not doing anything to bulk them up anymore :laugh:

You won't bulk up with strength training if you use a lower weight but higher reps. More weight with less reps leads to bulking up.

This is outdated philosophy, the newer science supports that women generally cannot "bulk up" without either suppliments, hormone imbalances, or extensive time in the weightroom (hours and hours per day). I'm 5'3" and lift what my trainer calls "impressive" weight (we've recently started doing olympic moves because he wants to see what I can do) and I'm a size 0 . . . I would definitely not call that "bulky." Pushing your resistence will only help you see results faster.

If women can't bulk up what happened to Jillian Michaels? Or is she really a man?

I really don't see anything about this as bulky:

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/images/j/jillian_michaels_trainer-14398.jpg
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options

jillian_michaels_trainer-14398.jpg

I actually think Jillian has got it going on... :)
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The picture of her on the shape magazine is a bit more flattering too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I've never actually seen her except in pics, which could be enhanced. But I think she looks bulky and manly.

***I couldn't see any of the pics posted just now because I'm at work and those sites are blocked. But it's nearly impossible to log onto MFP without seeing her in an ad for her workout DVDs
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I know, right? I don't really get all the hating on her. Yeah, I think that there are some pictures selling her strength training products and what not where they probably put her into positions or airbursh the pictures and what not to increase her definition or even make her look bulkier, but if you look at most of the pictures of her she's just tone and slender. To think she was that fat kid?!?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    did someone call Jillian Michaels "bulky"? ROTFL!

really?

She's like, the opposite of bulky IMHO.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Women saying that they don't want to lift weights because they don't want to get bulky is like saying you don't want to make a million dollars this year.

It's not going to happen, unless you REALLY try hard at doing it. Even then, most still won't get there.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I know, right? I don't really get all the hating on her. Yeah, I think that there are some pictures selling her strength training products and what not where they probably put her into positions or airbursh the pictures and what not to increase her definition or even make her look bulkier, but if you look at most of the pictures of her she's just tone and slender. To think she was that fat kid?!?

I wasn't "hating on her". What do I care if she wants to get pumped up? I'm just saying that IMO that is bulky (the pics in ads for her DVDs) and the reason I increase reps instead of weight in strength training.
  • Fatemeh_59
    Fatemeh_59 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. :sad: Do elliptical and stationary biking help?
  • beazelsmom
    Options
    Try a couple different types of squats, the first is your plain old regular one, the other is called a chair squat. Keep your feet together and bring both arms up as you move down into the squat position, and another one to try is the sumo squat. Have your legs be shoulder width apart, point your toes outwards, now, do the actual squat, and put your hands on your things for support if needed. the last squat I know of is called the king's squat. Take a chair, a sturdy one you can use for balance and putting weight on. Put one foot on the chair, pull your foot front wards on the chair until you reach the bend of where your ankle and foot meet. This is the place for your foot. Now with the other leg, hop forwards and just a bit outwards, for better balance, and have something nearby you for extra balance if need be. Now slowly bend the standing leg into a 90 degree angle, and the other leg, that's one the chair should be doing the same. If you cant go all the way down, just go as far as you can comfortably. These all target the large muscles in the front of your thigh. I have been doing these for a couple of weeks, and i can feel the muscles work when I do the exercises and my husband even noticed one day when he grabbed my leg lol.