Not sure where to post this....E-Cig

Options
Ok. So I've been trying to quit smoking for a long time now. And it's seriously the hardest darn thing I've ever done in my life. My friend recommended getting an electronic cigarette. And even though they are kinda pricey, the refills are still WAY cheaper than actual cigarettes.

So could anyone recommend a good brand of e-cigarettes from personal experience?
-or-
Could somebody please give me legitimate advice on just plain quitting? I really WANT to quit. But the addiction part is (literally) killing me.

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    The best advice I've heard is to just stop buying the stuff. Just one day has to come where you say 'no more' and stop smoking at all. The addiction wanes, it will be tough the first week or 3, but after that, it is just a slight urge to smoke casually with friends and not so much addiction creeping in on you.

Try and think of saving money, and becoming healthier each time you want a cigarette? I have never been a smoker but I sell them and it hurts to see people so addicted :( I can only relay what I've heard from my customers. I wish you the best of luck.

Stay strong and smoke-free!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I just quit cold turkey. patch failed me.
    I see stuff at the Dr. they can perscibe like cantix, that makes you quit instantly.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    OMG! I just posted about wanting to quit last night! I have an e-cig...it's called pure smoke...go to puresmokeonline.com for information. It looks and feels like a real cigarette. I used it for a bit then got lazy. There's a couple of us that are shooting for Sept 1 to quit! I think I am ready this time. If I apply my determination to lose weight to quitting smoking then I think I will succeed!

You can add me for support if you like!
  • houzkat
    houzkat Posts: 78
    Options
    I did "cold turkey" but my husband is using the e-cig and he's doing really well. I think he's using a V2 or something like that. I'll get more info from him on what he thinks is a good deal.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Cantix made me violently ill! I was sooo sick so I had to stop taking it. I've been using the nicotine mints, but those haven't worked.

I guess I've always been afraid to quit cold turkey... How long did it take you to not crave anymore by quitting cold turkey?
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    1. Want it more than life itself.
    2. Have an NRT crutch be it e-cig or nicotine lozenge etc to hand for when it gets too much.
    3. Do it.
    4. If you crack, stick with it, dont "start again tomorrow"

Im currently smoking, planning on quitting, again. Have managed to quit for years at a time following the above. Simple fact is #1 though, you have to really, really want it or it wont happen.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Imma be no help lol. I quit cold turkey. Woke up July 24th 2009 and said NO more of my money is going to cigs. I WILL regain my health back and never smoked another.
  • shonasteele
    Options
    I got a prescription for Champix (I think its called Chantrix in the US) and it seemed to be helping with the addiction part, but for me it's the physical action that I can't beat. I know it's totally in my head, because if I stay at home for 2 days straight I don't need to smoke but if I drive anywhere, go to work, or talk on the phone, I gotta smoke. So I'd really like to try the e-cigs too and am hoping you get some good responses with what people recommend. Good luck!
  • arw060310
    Options
    I think that's my problem. A few months ago I didn't smoke for about 5 days. I caved and had 1. And then after that 1 I said "screw it, I'll just not smoke after today". And then I never quit again. It's a frustrating process
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    my husband sells e-cigs and he likes using them. I read up on them and it made me nervous to use them (like actual smoking is better lol) so i am still trying to quit and your right....its the hardest thing i have ever tried to do. I roll my own cigarettes since i know its full of less chemicals (gives me a false sense of security anyways lol) and I bought a snuffer to snuff it out after a few drags (i dont smoke as much this way). I figure eventually i will find the will and determination with smoking like I have with weight loss. I pray all the time about it. It is extremely frustrating and I wish you luck!
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well I've never tried the e cigarrettes before, but I have successfully quit smoking. It is all about the determination. Something has to click where enough is enough. Even then, sometimes you're tempted to fall off the wagon, but don't. One cigarrette turns into 3 and before you know it, you're buying a pack from the store. I chewed the Dentine Ice gum because it's very minty so when you breathe in, you get that icy feeling in your throat and nose. It helps. LOTS of gum. Your jaws will be exhausted. Also, set a goal that you wouldn't be able to achieve as easily if you kept smoking. I started running and doing spinning classes and I couldn't preform as well if I was smoking. Oh, and lots of water to prevent weight gain. I pretty much replaced smoking with water and gum. It gets easier, but don't let your guard down. Remember the domino effect. Good luck! :smile:
  • arw060310
    Options
    I got a prescription for Champix (I think its called Chantrix in the US) and it seemed to be helping with the addiction part, but for me it's the physical action that I can't beat. I know it's totally in my head, because if I stay at home for 2 days straight I don't need to smoke but if I drive anywhere, go to work, or talk on the phone, I gotta smoke. So I'd really like to try the e-cigs too and am hoping you get some good responses with what people recommend. Good luck!

I'm the opposite! There's no smoking in either of the cars. At all. No exceptions. And I used to smoke all over the house, but now I've made 1 spare room the smoking room.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    recently tried champix. It makes you get no satisfaction from smoking, or anything else. I had to come off them, would not recommend.

Wanting it is the key, its a lot like weight loss, you just have to be determined enough to push through it all.
  • MOMSHOME
    MOMSHOME Posts: 72
    Options
    Glad to see someone else using these to quit. Although the actual site (E-Cigaretts) are expensive, they sell them in the tobacco stores. Or at least they do in Arkansas where I live. I have not used them but my husband works with people that have gone to them after he started using them and they think they are great. They are all about the same. Just different name brands. The strengths are about the same no matter what company you go with. They have regular and flavored one too. Also, to save money my hubby changes out the filters himself. All he did was get cotton pads that you use to remove nail polish and put that in the butts as filters. They work great.

I would recomend this as a way for anyone who wants to quit. I was in the same boat you are in, That was the hardest things to quit. I have not smoked since May 26 and am down to only using the electric cig a couple of times a day. (my husband still uses it a lot more but that is ok - I can live with that more then I can his smoking regular cigs). I wish you the best of luck in the world with it. I think it is the best!!!!
  • MOMSHOME
    MOMSHOME Posts: 72
    Options
    Just keep in mind that you will still go through some days of withdraws while you get used to the electric ones, but give it time. Tehy really do work. and you can smoke a few cigs a day while you change over. I quit reg cigs as soon as we got electric ones in, my husband smoked to finish out the regular ones we had at the house.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Just go cold turkey right now while you are going through this weight loss transition. Make eating healthy and exercise your priority. If you wait til you are thinner you will be frightened you will gain weight back and then you just wont stop. when you have the cravings exercise or have a healthy snack, soon your cravings will go away and you will be a completely new you. :)
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I quit "cold-turkey". I was smoking Newports from the age of 18 until the age of 34. I had tried quitting several times, however, when I REALLY wanted to quit, I just did it.

You are the only one who can make that choice, but once you do, you can count me in to help keep you motivated. If you'd like support, feel free to add me.

And maybe this might help: I think you should decide to change your focus when you want a cig and see if that helps. For example: if you THINK about wanting a cigarette, do push ups! It doesn't have to be on the floor. You can do it against a desk, a wall or get down on the floor. Or do sit-ups... (UGH just thinking of doing a sit-up would help me quit)... you know what I mean?

I made a deal with my son. If I quit smoking, he promises that he will NEVER touch any type of illegal drug. It motivated me to do my part and every now and then, I'll remind him of our promise to eachother. (He is in his last year of Junior High School).
  • arw060310
    Options
    Just go cold turkey right now while you are going through this weight loss transition. Make eating healthy and exercise your priority. If you wait til you are thinner you will be frightened you will gain weight back and then you just wont stop. when you have the cravings exercise or have a healthy snack, soon your cravings will go away and you will be a completely new you. :)

I think I might try the cold turkey deal. I'm not sure yet. i have a few more packs left though. I'm actually not afraid of weight gain. I've worked WAY to hard to lose what I have and I refuse to gain it lol. Although I've heard that quitting slows your metabolism??? Is this a myth?
  • ncrissey460
    ncrissey460 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    all this talk about quitting is making me want to have a cigarette right now....ill be back in 5. I only got enought willpower for one thing at a time! lol
  • akmcdc0621
    Options
    Quitting anything is hard. But just like food, there will always be a temptation and maybe at first you mess up sometimes and eat something wild...but you stick with it anyway and regain your composer and keep trying. After a while you dont have quit so many crazy cravings and sometimes when you mess up later on you dont even fee good afterward. Try the same thing. QUIT and then if you slip and have one, re gain your composer think of the reasons why you quit, and start again, if you slip again, have a self talk again. Slip ups dont mean failure. after a while they will taste different--and your ability to breath better and knowing how much your helping yourself will win