Vegetarian Help!

Options
I've recently decided to go vegetarian and as a teen girl, I want to stay healthy and get all my vitamins, protein, etc. But I DESPISE cooked vegetables, unless the texture is masked. (I'm very picky when it comes to texture.) I was wondering if nayone had some quick and cheap vegetarian ideas?

Replies

• veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Mushy vegetables are gross. Crispy stir-frying or steaming is best. Mix you crisp-cooked veggies with pasta, rice, or something you like the texture of. I love to make sauces and salad dressings with lite silken tofu, really creamy and yummy with very low calories. I've been veg for 35 years and have never worried much about protein and vitamins, and I'm pretty damn healthy, so don't stress about that.
  • sleeplessinsavasana
    Options
    I tend to cook a lot of Indian curries using lentils or chickpeas. They are packed with protein, calcium etc... X
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    i don't know what you class as "cooked vegetables" ;p but things like pulses, kidney beans, red lentils, chickpeas etc they're great to add to vegetarian chilli, curries or even something simple like prawns, peas and tomatoes with rice! canned tomatoes are great too.

try meals like paella (a great one is "Easiest ever paella" from the good food magazine/website) which is rice and prawns/sea food with some vegetables

i'm not vegetarian myself but i often try to have at least one vegetarian meal a week....what about vegetarian lasagnes where the vegetables are mixed with pasta/cheese?

hope this helps
  • pooksMS
    pooksMS Posts: 25
    Options
    check out this site, she has amazing veggie recipes if you like to cook and they are easy. Good Luck!
    http://www.101cookbooks.com/vegetarian_recipes/
  • hilsturkie
    Options
    If you like beans, they are a great way to get protein and they are very affordable. I make black bean quesadillas all the time. Simply drain a can of black beans, throw in some lime juice (2 tsp) and some garlic (or garlic powder), chili powder and cumin. I also add 1/4 cup canned tomatoes (drained) if I have them on hand. Mash the beans & tomatoes with a fork (or potato masher, or pastry blender) until it forms a thick spreadable (but slightly chunky) consistency. Spread the mixture on one half of your whole-wheat tortilla, top with 1/2 oz. monterey jack shredded cheese and throw it into a heated skilled coated with non-stick cooking spray. Flip once it turns brown. Cut and serve with fat-free greek yogurt and salsa. It may sound strange, but it's SO good. My 17 month old gobbles them up.

Soups are also a great affordable way to eat vegetarian. You can blend the veggies to you don't get the texture. Good luck!
  • tarynrenee93
    Options
    Thank you so much!

I guess what I hate is how vegetables are less crisp when cooked- especially in things like carrots, cauiliflower, etc. I love grilled and steamed zucchini, onions, and peppers. But I need meals, not just sides. (:

That quesadilla sounds really good!

Also, I'm vegetarian, not pescatarian, so I don't eat seafood either (although I didn't before I became vegetarian anyway- seafood grosses me out.)

Also, did anyone experience stomach issues when they first went vegetarian?
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Raw vegetables will give you much more of the nutrients you need quicker since 80% of nutrients are lost from heating over 115 degrees.
    Eating raw veggies doesn't taste good though and takes forev.
    You can get a juicer on Amazon for less than $40. I suggest getting one of these and like 3 times a week make yourself a tall glass of veggie juice and drink it down. Put kale, spinach, carrots, celery, and a couple peices of fruit too to sweeten it some.
  • ceeceesmom
    Options
    Stir frying is the best way to incorporate cooked, but crisp vegetables, but stir fry "like textured" vegetables together to make sure they keep their crispness. Ex., when i stir fry, i usually add a little oil to the pan and then the carrots, stir fry just till they get tender crisp, remove them, add in the broccoli, same way, then the onions, celery and say peppers because they require about the same amount of time, removing each vege as done to your liking and then when all are done, put a little more oil in the pan, some garlic, soy, maybe some chili flakes, a little touch of honey, and some fresh ginger, a little salt and pepper. Give that about one minute then toss with the other veges (and/or tofu or beans, etc.). That way each vegetable has the texture you like and it really doesn't take much longer, since you're barely cooking them anyway.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yeh, Im not vegetarian but I opt for veggie meals alot of time cuz my sister hates meat....anyways I found this awesome recipe for red kidney bean and sweet potato burritos, I cant remember the site but I bet if you put it into google you'll find it, top it with salsa and its really good. PLUS you can freeze leftovers so anytime u need a quick meal pop it in the micro for a few and YUM
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    Yeh, Im not vegetarian but I opt for veggie meals alot of time cuz my sister hates meat....anyways I found this awesome recipe for red kidney bean and sweet potato burritos, I cant remember the site but I bet if you put it into google you'll find it, top it with salsa and its really good. PLUS you can freeze leftovers so anytime u need a quick meal pop it in the micro for a few and YUM

This sounded amazing! I went looking for it and found one at:

http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-potato-and-kidney-bean-burrito-245310?scaleto=4&mode=null&st=true
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    Stir frying is the best way to incorporate cooked, but crisp vegetables, but stir fry "like textured" vegetables together to make sure they keep their crispness. Ex., when i stir fry, i usually add a little oil to the pan and then the carrots, stir fry just till they get tender crisp, remove them, add in the broccoli, same way, then the onions, celery and say peppers because they require about the same amount of time, removing each vege as done to your liking and then when all are done, put a little more oil in the pan, some garlic, soy, maybe some chili flakes, a little touch of honey, and some fresh ginger, a little salt and pepper. Give that about one minute then toss with the other veges (and/or tofu or beans, etc.). That way each vegetable has the texture you like and it really doesn't take much longer, since you're barely cooking them anyway.

Stir frying is one way that I get my kiddos to eat more veggie meals :0D, although I am a vegetarian I am leaving the choice up to them if they choose to be vegetarian (my fiance refuses, he is steak/potatoes man) but I still want my kids to eat healthy and have plenty of veggies and variety! The only thing I do different with theirs is throw in chicken or a lean beef (once mine has already been prepared :0D)
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    Thank you so much!

I guess what I hate is how vegetables are less crisp when cooked- especially in things like carrots, cauiliflower, etc. I love grilled and steamed zucchini, onions, and peppers. But I need meals, not just sides. (:

That quesadilla sounds really good!

Also, I'm vegetarian, not pescatarian, so I don't eat seafood either (although I didn't before I became vegetarian anyway- seafood grosses me out.)

Also, did anyone experience stomach issues when they first went vegetarian?

I haven't had any stomach issues since going veggie. In fact I experience far less stomach issues since no longer eating any meat. You may experience more gas when you start consuming more beans but that is from the fiber and eventually your body will get used to that (and fiber is good for you!) I'm not pescatarian either....I loved seafood but just like other animals I am not happy with the harvesting (and often over harvesting) of them. The hardest thing for me to give up was sushi but I just replaced my california rolls with veggies :0). I think being vegetarian provides you so much variety! If you like spicy foods find an Indian resturant in your city. Amazing flavor AND vegetarian!
  • tarynrenee93
    Options
    really good snack idea! A whole wheat quesadilla with guacamole with red peppers. Spicy and very filling!