Keto or Mediterranean

Options
Help! I need to make a wise and healthy decision between the two. I spoke with my doctor who did not say anything bad about Keto, but just that she leaned towards Mediterranean. I have to lose weight in order to keep Type 2 Diabetes under control. Thanks.

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I'd you enjoy some moderate carbs, Mediterranean, if you don't, keto. Why not try Mediterranean flexible.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You could also try both.

Mediterranean diets have more to do with the types of foods you eat whereas keto is about certain macros. You could eat Mediterranean but heavy on the fish, olives, avocado and veggies. You could limit or skip the noodles and bread.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You'll have quite a bit more variety with Mediterranean, particularly where fruit, veg, legumes, etc are concerned...you'll be pretty limited with that kind of stuff on keto.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I am keto and enjoy the keto WOE but some find it restrictive. I think the Mediterranean is a little less restrictive on carbs. I would guess (key word guess) that keto may be a bit faster way to reach your goal but there is nothing wrong with either.

The Mediterranean diet isn't carbohydrate-restricted at all. It encourages the consumption of fruits, vegetables, beans, and whole grains (along with moderate amounts of fish, dairy, and wine).

I know nothing about Mediterranean diet but would it be safe to say it is not a high carb diet?
  • pspenc90
    pspenc90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options