Not hitting my calories...

Options
Hi!

Pretty new to MFP but have been working out hard and thinking i was eating right for about 6 months now. Definitely lost weight so far but feel like ive stopped hence using MFP.

I'm struggling to eat up to my 1200 a day. i feel like im eating ALL THE TIME! and then I'll work out and get 500-800 calories on top of it. Feel like if i eat more than I am I'm just wasting my time working out.

Do I have to eat into my exercise calories? (i understand weight retention due to undereating but i dont feel like i am!)
how do i healthily eat more calories? Seem to go over my sugar or fat/carbs when I try. and to top it all off im vegetarian so there's a whole other obstacle there.

Any advice would be so appreciated!!

Replies

• Billpenelope
    Billpenelope Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I manage to achieve protein with help from protein shakes and eggs etc so feel like ive finally got that one nailed after lacking for many years there.

If im understanding it right hitting at least 1200 calories is more important than having macros religiously aligned?
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I manage to achieve protein with help from protein shakes and eggs etc so feel like ive finally got that one nailed after lacking for many years there.

If im understanding it right hitting at least 1200 calories is more important than having macros religiously aligned?

Yes.
  • Billpenelope
    Options
    Thank you both!
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hi!

I'm struggling to eat up to my 1200 a day. i feel like im eating ALL THE TIME! and then I'll work out and get 500-800 calories on top of it. Feel like if i eat more than I am I'm just wasting my time working out.

Welcome here.

I have the opposite issue as you. Always feel like I'm not eating enough. Have you considered Nut Butters? Good Protein, Higher calories, less quantity. Yes, higher fats, but Almond Butter (for example) has healthy fats.

### I would also add eat starchier vegetables (carrots for example). Higher calories for the quantity. Just remember that white potatoes (aside from the skins, which are high in iron which is excellent for you) are lower on the nutritional benefits scale.
  • Billpenelope
    Options
    I’ve invested in some scales as feel like it might be inaccurate calorie tracking! Think this is the most likely issue so Thanks to all that suggested this. But if not I’ll definitely look at nut butters and other suggestions.

I wasn’t really snacking before just eating super unhealthy meals and skipping breakfast hence feeling like I’m eating way more now! A whole extra meal and snacks in between is a big change.

Workouts- I use a myzone belt which tracks heart rate and calorie burn during workout. Generally well reviewed and it’s a scheme through my work. I do a mixture of cardio and strength training and usually work out for over an hour. myzones algorithm is an estimate based on heart rate. Is there a more accurate way to measure? Not in a position to invest in a new super techy gadget though...

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Also, what exercise are you doing that gives you 800 extra cals please? Cause I’d love to get in on that one!
    I do 4 mile runs at a decent speed and only get 287 extra cals...

So, you may also wish to look into the accuracy of calorie burns from exercise too

That doesn't sound right...are you tiny?

I'd get around 450 calories for 4 miles (0.61 x body weight x distance)

I get around 800 calories for a 25 mile ride.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,736 Member
    Options
    I’ve invested in some scales as feel like it might be inaccurate calorie tracking! Think this is the most likely issue so Thanks to all that suggested this. But if not I’ll definitely look at nut butters and other suggestions.

I wasn’t really snacking before just eating super unhealthy meals and skipping breakfast hence feeling like I’m eating way more now! A whole extra meal and snacks in between is a big change.

Workouts- I use a myzone belt which tracks heart rate and calorie burn during workout. Generally well reviewed and it’s a scheme through my work. I do a mixture of cardio and strength training and usually work out for over an hour. myzones algorithm is an estimate based on heart rate. Is there a more accurate way to measure? Not in a position to invest in a new super techy gadget though...

Heart rate is a poor estimator of strength training calories. If it's non-overlapped separate periods of cardio and strength (i.e., 20 minutes cardio, 40 minutes strength, or somesuch), I'd recommend using the MFP exercise calorie estimate for at least the strength minutes (under cardiovascular exercise; look for strength training). If the cardio portion is separate and steady state, the HRM estimate may be in the ballpark. If it's interval training, the estimate may be high, especially if you're relatively new to exercise (has to do with how heart rate response changes with training).

If you're mixing the cardio and strength in some kind of circuit training, compare the MFP exercise database estimate for circuit training; if it's lower, use that instead. 800 for an hour seems very high, depending somewhat on your bodyweight. At a weight in the low 130s, I estimate 600-700 calories per hour of quite intense machine rowing (and I can't do a full hour continuously at that intensity, although I'm reasonably fit and acccustomed to the activity - been doing it, including some competitively, for 15+ years).

Quite a few people start by eating back half their exercise calories, then monitoring results for about 6 weeks (one full menstrual cycle plus a bit). The weight loss rate during that time period is your best indication of how your eating and exercise balance out (i.e., whether you're undereating). You should avoid losing more than 1% of your body weight per week, and go slower than that if you have less that maybe 50 pounds to lose in total. Slower than those maximums is always fine, if it's more doable/sustainable.
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Also, what exercise are you doing that gives you 800 extra cals please? Cause I’d love to get in on that one!
    I do 4 mile runs at a decent speed and only get 287 extra cals...

So, you may also wish to look into the accuracy of calorie burns from exercise too

That doesn't sound right...are you tiny?

I'd get around 450 calories for 4 miles (0.61 x body weight x distance)

I get around 800 calories for a 25 mile ride.

Yes I am tiny haha! 114lbs x 0.63 x 4 miles = 287. It’s fairly depressing how much exercise I have to do just for a chocolate! :D
  • VBray0348
    VBray0348 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m new to this community but I’m having the same problem the one person complained of. Today I’m supposed to be eating 1400 cal and I only made it to 1000 calories. I ate three full meals and one snack and I weighed my food! The other problem is I am recovering from a knee surgery that went bad and I have had physical restrictions for the last eight months. So I’ve not been on able to work out or do much walking. This has caused me to gain weight. I’m sitting here trying to figure out what to eat to get me up those additional 400 cal and there’s Nothing I want and I’m full. So if I’m not eating up to my calories in my body staying in starvation mode? Suggestions are appreciated.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @vbray0348, are you weighing every single thing that passes your lips, and using the appropriate entries?
    Oils, spreads, and sauces are often missed. As are single item prepackaged servings and bread products- slices of bread, single rolls or pita, etc.

You may get some help in your logging if you opened your diary.

There are so many erroneous entries in the data base it is easy for even those who have been logging for years to use a few incorrect entries.

I lost on 1200 cals and couldn't make 3 filling meals and a snack without also including my 200 cals from exercise.

Cheers, h.