Help to run faster

Options
ellyseb1
ellyseb1 Posts: 49 Member
edited October 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm finally back to the point where I can jog for about 20-25 minutes without being completely wiped out. But I'm really slow (8min/1K)!! Anyone have tips to get faster? Winter is coming, so I'll be inside mostly on the treadmill.

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    To run faster you should run slower.

long slow runs will build your endurance over time.

Based on your numbers it looks like you are running about 3k so far right?

I think most runners recommend not working on speed until you can run at least a 10k, and I also think most runners do 80% of their training doing long slow runs.

Maybe some more experienced runners will chime in.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    ellyseb1 wrote: »
    I'm finally back to the point where I can jog for about 20-25 minutes without being completely wiped out. But I'm really slow (8min/1K)!! Anyone have tips to get faster? Winter is coming, so I'll be inside mostly on the treadmill.

All of the above.....

Focus on building your aerobic base (ie running longer times / distances) and a certain amount of improvement in speed will occur naturally. Don't worry too much about speed. It may surprise you to know that even the most experienced runners intentionally run very slowly during their longer training runs (I've been running for over 10 years and the target pace for my longer Sunday runs is around 7:15 to 7:30 per km)

Years ago I had a very wise coach tell me not to worry about running a fast (and that's a relative term) 5K until I could run a slow 10km. Following that advice 1 went from a 40 min 5K at my very first race to running 26:46 at the same race a year later (with no speed work).

Be patient, be consistent and have fun.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

All of the above.....

Focus on building your aerobic base (ie running longer times / distances) and a certain amount of improvement in speed will occur naturally. Don't worry too much about speed. It may surprise you to know that even the most experienced runners intentionally run very slowly during their longer training runs (I've been running for over 10 years and the target pace for my longer Sunday runs is around 7:15 to 7:30 per km)

Years ago I had a very wise coach tell me not to worry about running a fast (and that's a relative term) 5K until I could run a slow 10km. Following that advice 1 went from a 40 min 5K at my very first race to running 26:46 at the same race a year later (with no speed work).

Curious how far your training runs are.
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was of the school of thought that miles increase time, I increased miles and I went from 10 min miles to 9 minute miles and then sat between 9 and 9.30 depending on if I were 5 or 10k... I believe that the only way to increase speed is training! Hill training, intervals and instructed speed training.

You need to decide what you want to concentrate on first, a quicker 5/10k or the ability to run a consistent distance (marathon or ultra) and once you have picked your individual furthest, work on doing it quicker.

I know I will never do more than a half, Each one i do I look to take match or decrease the time taken, I have gone 2.20, 2.15 and 2.06. My next one im looking for 2.06 or pref 2. small steps but I'm out there running and I am proud of that.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

All of the above.....

Back then (2009 - 2010) my longest would have been around 10 to 12km and I would have been running a maximum of about 40km a week. It wasn't until 2011 that I started training for duathlons & half-marathons.

Now my longest runs may be around 20km or so during the latter stages of a HM training cycle.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I was of the school of thought that miles increase time, I increased miles and I went from 10 min miles to 9 minute miles and then sat between 9 and 9.30 depending on if I were 5 or 10k... I believe that the only way to increase speed is training! Hill training, intervals and instructed speed training.

You need to decide what you want to concentrate on first, a quicker 5/10k or the ability to run a consistent distance (marathon or ultra) and once you have picked your individual furthest, work on doing it quicker.

I know I will never do more than a half, Each one i do I look to take match or decrease the time taken, I have gone 2.20, 2.15 and 2.06. My next one im looking for 2.06 or pref 2. small steps but I'm out there running and I am proud of that.

Context matters here...
    I think a person's ability is part of the conversation.

Someone looking to go from a 12minute mile to an 11 minute mile should really focus on their base - more miles at a modest pace/effort (whatever that is for them).

Someone looking to go from a 9 minute mile to an 8 minute mile will probably benefit from more structured/intentional training.

Can you more seasoned and accomplished runners confirm/correct that?

On a related note...
    I also assume there is a degree of diminishing benefit in some situations. Someone who wanted to imporove their 5k time, regardless of ability/time, probably shouldn't be pushing out mileage to HM distances. It's one thing to increase distance to 6 or 7 or even 10k, but at some point more distance isn't helpful. I don't think OP is at that point, and I don't think anyone was suggesting HUGE distance goals for her.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

All of the above.....

Back then (2009 - 2010) my longest would have been around 10 to 12km and I would have been running a maximum of about 40km a week. It wasn't until 2011 that I started training for duathlons & half-marathons.

Now my longest runs may be around 20km or so during the latter stages of a HM training cycle.

Thanks. Still working on a steady 10km without walking. With some walking I'm around 7min/KM, so running faster. Thinking maybe I should slow the run part down to run more of it.

When you run slower, do you keep your cadence the same, or not pay attention to it?
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It will also help running with others, as long as they are paced as you or pref slightly quicker, not massively depending on your individual motivation.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Going slow for more miles will help you go fast for fewer miles. Just keep at it. I found at the beginning I had to go at a pace that felt excruciatingly slow, just to complete 1-3 miles. My first 1-3 miles are still usually my slowest miles, but after spending a year really working at it, I've run up to 18 miles. It simply takes time and practice. Try not to get discouraged and just enjoy your runs!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Context matters here...

Someone looking to go from a 12minute mile to an 11 minute mile should really focus on their base - more miles at a modest pace/effort (whatever that is for them).

Someone looking to go from a 9 minute mile to an 8 minute mile will probably benefit from more structured/intentional training.

I also assume there is a degree of diminishing benefit in some situations. Someone who wanted to imporove their 5k time, regardless of ability/time, probably shouldn't be pushing out mileage to HM distances. It's one thing to increase distance to 6 or 7 or even 10k, but at some point more distance isn't helpful. I don't think OP is at that point, and I don't think anyone was suggesting HUGE distance goals for her.

Agreed, running longer distances / times will only take you so far, after that intentional speed work (hill repeats, fartleks etc) are needed.

All of the above.....

Thanks. Still working on a steady 10km without walking. With some walking I'm around 7min/KM, so running faster. Thinking maybe I should slow the run part down to run more of it.

When you run slower, do you keep your cadence the same, or not pay attention to it?

Slowing down a bit will probably get to run the whole 10km non stop. Having said that, there are a lot of runners incorporating run/walk methods and turning out some pretty impressive times. There's also a school of thought that promotes the run/walk as a way of reducing injuries as your runs get longer.

I try to keep my cadence pretty much the same. One of the best things I ever did was to start running outside in winter, you have to keep your stride short in order to remain vertical which helps with a faster foot turnover.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    As a newer runner you certainly want to build your aerobic base by running longer and easy. However, adding interval training to your workout schedule improves your fitness faster than just running longer. Try warming up for 10 minutes at a comfortable pace and then do a series of 6-30 second intervals at 1.5 km speed faster than you normally go. Between each interval walk for 90 seconds. At the end do a gentle 5 minute jog. You'll find over time that you'll get more comfortable running at a higher speed and that you can sustain your longer runs at a faster pace. You can also do intervals with increasing incline and over time increase the duration of each interval. These workouts are more intense so starting off you should only do them 1x/week, over time increasing to 2x. Enjoy!
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Context matters here...

Agreed, running longer distances / times will only take you so far, after that intentional speed work (hill repeats, fartleks etc) are needed.

All of the above.....

Slowing down a bit will probably get to run the whole 10km non stop. Having said that, there are a lot of runners incorporating run/walk methods and turning out some pretty impressive times. There's also a school of thought that promotes the run/walk as a way of reducing injuries as your runs get longer.

I try to keep my cadence pretty much the same. One of the best things I ever did was to start running outside in winter, you have to keep your stride short in order to remain vertical which helps with a faster foot turnover.

Yeah, I did a fair bit of that last winter. And will do more this winter. Still would rather not have ice/snow, but I'm Canadian :)

Thanks.
  • williamwj2018
    williamwj2018 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Long distance itself will not help you get faster but you should establish yourself a base with slower, long runs to build endurance. Then do 30-60 (30 seconds sprinting, 60 seconds walk) or 60-120. Overtime you will get faster.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

Context matters here...

All of the above.....

Yeah, I did a fair bit of that last winter. And will do more this winter. Still would rather not have ice/snow, but I'm Canadian :)

Thanks.

Another Canuck here too.......needed my gloves & toque yesterday as there was definitely frost on the pumpkin, soon the tights will have to be dusted off too.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Tacklewasher asked:

When I run slower, my cadence is slower. I don't worry about it. The only time I get to optimum cadence is when I am doing tempo runs or intervals or running a steep hill.

You should try slowing down so that you can run farther. If you have trouble breathing, you're going too fast.

To the OP: formal speedwork isn't a good idea until you are running 25+ mpw, because it puts more strain on your body than simply jogging easy. Also, you should be doing a mile or two warm-up and cool down before after your hard speedwork, which is impossible if your total distance is only 5k. Doing too much too soon is likely to get you injured. When you are running a bit more, you can try varying your pace a bit during your runs, aka fartlek or speedplay, to train your legs to move faster, but too much can cause tendonitis so you don't want to do a lot of it until you are running a lot more. Add 5 minutes a week to your runs until you reach a level that works with the time you have available. 15-20 mpw is a good goal for a beginner. Then decide what goals you want to chase next year. Faster 5k? 10k? HM?
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Context matters here...

All of the above.....

Thanks.

Another Canuck here too.......needed my gloves & toque yesterday as there was definitely frost on the pumpkin, soon the tights will have to be dusted off too.

We're running between 0 when I get up to 15 when I go home from work. But I did haul out the tights for a 10K trail race last Sunday. Toque came off around halfway.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Wouldn't worry about speed at this point...you need to continue to build your base.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about 8 years now, with the exception of the month of August each year- it's too hot where I live so I take the month off and just bike and walk. I would say since the OP is running about 1.5 miles (20 or 25 minutes divided by 8Kms equals about 1.55-1.75 miles), I would suggest that you start aiming to run at that pace for 25-30 minutes. Once you can do that, add in another 3 minutes. Once you can do that, add another 3-4 minutes until you can comfortably run for 1 hour. But don't add time if you feel like you're dying at the end of your run. Add time once you feel strong and confident in completing that time. Assuming your pace remains the same give or take, (you will become more fit, but you will slow down the farther you run), you will be running about 4.5-5 miles. Now, at that point, you can decide what type of runs you like to do. Do you want to race 5Ks, do you want to run for the calorie burn and fitness aspects, do you want to increase distance to eventually run a marathon?

But for now, I would focus on running for longer time. Also, how many times are you running per week? When I first started running, I ran every other day and increased my time by a few minutes (like 2 or 3) after every 6th to 8th run until I could run 90 minutes. Then I started do some varying workouts.