Motivation by running

Options
When I started my diet in 2011, I got down to 195 from 220 then took up running to help keep it off. How many runners are out there in cyber world? How do you keep motivated?

Replies

• KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't really do anything to keep motivated I just really enjoy the fresh air, the space, the calm and quiet it gives me. If i need a push i tend to sign up for a half marathon to give me a reason to train.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I really like training plans now that I’ve started running, at first I just ran for fun. Having a schedule keeps me organized though and I’ve yet to miss a work out because it’s no longer an option.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I run one marathon and a couple of other races during the year. I enjoy racing, especially long races. I find them very difficult, but a good challenge. I don't have much money or I'd do more races. Staying in shape to be able to do well at my races and to follow a challenging training plan is part of my motivation. I try to keep an average of 35-40 mpw so I can do that. Lower mileage would mean a poor performance and would make the training part a lot more difficult.

The other part is that I get really depressed if I don't get exercise every day. I've learned the hard way that if I am happiest if I get outside as often as possible, so I do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm a cyclist, not a runner...I really enjoy cycling, so I don't need a whole lot of motivation...I just like being out their on my road bike or on the dirt trails on my CX bike. When I get a little out of the groove, signing up for an event and running a structured training program helps me get back on track.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I know how much better I feel physically and mentally if I run on a regular basis. Also, I've come across a quote along the lines of "dedication is more important than motivation"... You may not always feel motivated, but if you're dedicated to something then that is more likely to get you to do whatever it is that your not motivated to do
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    What running does for me mentally and physically is just about all the motivation I need. There is nothing like finishing that run and getting my day started. I do motivate myself to push harder by training for races or switching it up and doing triathlons.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to running but at this point I don't really need any motivation because I enjoy doing it. I look forward to it, and I'm always so proud of myself when I'm done. It's me time, and it's nice to feel like I've accomplished something.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I don't need motivation to do something I enjoy. Maybe running isn't for you? Have you considered forms of exercise you might enjoy more than running?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    When I started my diet in 2011, I got down to 195 from 220 then took up running to help keep it off. How many runners are out there in cyber world? How do you keep motivated?

Entering a race is a pretty good motivator to not skip workouts. (pre-paying for a spring half is what's going to get my @rse out there run-trudging through the snow more than once a week in the next few months).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a cyclist, not a runner .... a long distance cyclist who used to cycle long distances with my husband.

However, life turned an unexpected corner and now I run to help keep in shape because my husband isn't as interested in that, and I cycle short distances with my husband to keep him company and help with his recovery from a bad accident. I'm just glad he can cycle at all now.

Running not only helps me keep in shape, it's a stress-relieving thing, during a very, very stressful time. And it is also something that gives me a goal to work toward. In the past, I'd work toward Audax/Randonneuring cycling events. Now I'm thinking of tackling a half marathon.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it’s about wanting to do it, sometimes it’s more about discipline. I travel a lot for work and sometimes the last thing I want to do after arriving from overseas is go run, but I do it. The fresh air feels amazing or if it’s dark out, the treadmill is a means to and end. Like the above poster said, not every run will be great or enjoyable. But you’ll never regret getting out there. I always tell myself, just to 1.5 miles. 13 minutes. And by the time 3 songs are over, I am committed to going to distance.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I love it while I’m doing it, not just after. Yes, there are parts of each run I don’t like much ( usually the first part, as I’m warming up and finding my rhythm), but I know I’ll feel awesome soon if I keep going. Try slowing down and see if you enjoy it more.