Best beers for losing weight

Replies

• joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Everyone has already woo’ed enough and set you straight about the wording of your post, but assuming you just want low-cal beer options....

Sam Adams light isn’t bad, though
    I can’t find it anywhere lately.

Kahana Blonde Ale is tasty at 99 calories, and you get to hold a cool bottle that doesn’t say “light” on it.

I also don’t mind a coors light or 2 on the lake!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Ballast Point’s Sculpin is the best.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member

Grapefruit Sculpin, please, by personal preference . . . and I don't mostly like fruit infused beers. ;)

OP, I'm a li'l ol' lady, age 62, not tall, healthy body weight, no beer belly. I just drank 20oz of a nice 6.2%ABV IPA with a pleasant citrus/piney hoppiness to it: Around 310 calories, and not a profoundly unusual indulgence. I expect to keep maintaining my healthy weight, as I've done for around 3 years now.

Weight management is about figuring out how to balance calories, nutrition and enjoyment in order to have a healthy and happy life.

If you like beer, drink beer. Figure out what you like, and how much of it you can have, how often, and still hit your calorie goal, with adequate nutrition. If you can enjoy those execrable low alcohol light beers, it'll be easier to fit in. I just can't. FTR, vodka/plain soda water is about your lowest calorie alcohol choice, and it tastes pretty similar to light beer if you ask me. YMMV.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Ive just given it up.

Saves the stress
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Grapefruit Sculpin, please, by personal preference . . . and I don't mostly like fruit infused beers. ;)

OP, I'm a li'l ol' lady, age 62, not tall, healthy body weight, no beer belly. I just drank 20oz of a nice 6.2%ABV IPA with a pleasant citrus/piney hoppiness to it: Around 310 calories, and not a profoundly unusual indulgence. I expect to keep maintaining my healthy weight, as I've done for around 3 years now.

Weight management is about figuring out how to balance calories, nutrition and enjoyment in order to have a healthy and happy life.

If you like beer, drink beer. Figure out what you like, and how much of it you can have, how often, and still hit your calorie goal, with adequate nutrition. If you can enjoy those execrable low alcohol light beers, it'll be easier to fit in. I just can't. FTR, vodka/plain soda water is about your lowest calorie alcohol choice, and it tastes pretty similar to light beer if you ask me. YMMV.

I love my high gravity IPAs. I travel around a fair bit for one of my kids' sports and I love to try the local stuff. If I want to lose weight, it has to be an occasional indulgence though, not a "5 pints on date night" thing.

If I want to have a drink or two but don't like the beer on offer or just want to keep the calories down, I have discovered I enjoy Absolut Lime and club soda. Not a shocker, since I knew I enjoyed vodka and soda with a lime.

I'd rather drink water than mass market light beer. It tastes better.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    So, this page lists a bunch of beers and their calories.

https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Calories-Popular-Beers-1504697

My best bets are Guinness (lower alcohol so lower calories) and in Canada, Sleemans has a low carb beer that is 83 cals a can and tastes decent, but is a lighter beer than Guinness so is more for summer than fall/winter.

I run so I can drink beer (or wine, or scotch, or gin, or Bailey's or whatever).

Guinness is a great choice - has that slight bitterness so you don't chug it, hearty mouth feel, killer calories.

Guinness is my favorite "diet" beer too--it still tastes like you're drinking beer and not beer-flavored water.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Any beer can fit into a healthy lifestyle if you drink them in moderation. My favorite is ShockTop Belgian Wheat, but they're pretty heavy and have 150 calories in a 12oz bottle. If I'm watching my weight to lose, i'll stick with "light" beers like Coors light or miller light. They're not as good in my opinion when it comes to flavor, but you save about 50 cals a beer!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Limit yourself to drinking only those weird beers from former eastern block countries. They're so awful, you'll never want one.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Genuinely curious, OP: where does your conviction that some beers are good for weight loss come from? Why do you take it for granted that they must exist, even though you personally have no idea what they are? Why would so many people drink the “beer-belly” beers when there are perfectly good “non-beer-belly” beers out there?

There are no shortcuts. If you want to use calories on one thing, those calories can’t also be used for something else. You just have to wake up each morning and decide what’s important to you that day.

Maybe what he meant was "what beers are not as bad for weight loss"
  • rsclause
    SLOgal wrote: »
    You can drink any beer you want. One at a time. But you have to walk to the store for each one, and take the long route home. Then record the calories and enjoy the beer.

This makes me think about my bicycle. I have a mount for a insulated stainless beer growler and will sometimes ride up to the tap room to get it filled. They are so slow that I may drink a couple of pints while I wait.
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Rather than having several beers a night, just have one and make it last. Or two short beers. Don't drink bad beer just because it's "light".
  • invisibleman53
    invisibleman53 Posts: 20 Member
    There is no such thing as a beer to help lose weight anymore than there is a steak that helps. Its all calories in and calories out. Too much beer is just like eating too much sugar, not healthy, in fact alcohol will be turned into a sugar for the body to use so you're just overloading on more sugar. No more than a glass of wine or 2 beers per day for good health.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Whatever fits into your calories and you enjoy is what I suggest. I personally like stout beers and that's what I drink. I won't drink Michelob ultra or the other crap "beer" that's out there that's low cal. it's water and it's disgusting. I just make the stout fit my calories...or walk or run it off.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    Try scotch.

^^^ I like where this user's head is
  • rsclause
    Scotch has no carbs and as my Father in-law used to say "they put water in when they make it"
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    I stay away from beer while trying to lose weight. Lite beers are gross and IPAs have a bajillion calories.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    sigh...now i want a beer
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Dude I wish this was a thing. Just fit your favourite into your calories. I tried the Michelob Ultra once and it tasted like sadness and ennui.

To paraphrase Ed Stoudt of Stoudt's brewery (Black Angus)... If I'm going to drink a light beer, I'll drink half a beer and half a glass of water. Tastes better and the same amount of calories.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    It depends on your approach I guess. When I first started counting calories I swithced to Michelob Ultra, because it's so low calorie and I find it to be a nice refreshing beverage on a hot day. The issue is, I can drink it like water because it is SO light. Plus, the carbonation can cause some serious bloat issues (I don't drink soda or really anything else carbonated). Now I've realized I'm better off drinking those delicious craft beers I like (stouts, reds, or brown ales mostly), and sticking to only 1-2. Not so hard to do because I tend to drink heavier beers slowly, and the alcohol content is so much higher I'm not going to put away 4-5 without realizing.