Artificial sweeteners and frequent urination

Options
Another thread on this forum on artificial sweeteners lead me to this question. I've been sort of struggling with frequent urination for many years (don't even remember when it started). It's especially an issue at night since I often wake up 2-4 times to pee. I saw a doctor about it a few years back but she didn't find any problem with me. So I've just accepted that it's due to me drinking quite a lot and just a "particularity" of my body. I also attributed it to changes in my calorie deficit - since a deficit after a period of maintenance or overeating always made me pee like crazy due to (I assume) decrease in glycogen stores and the water weight that goes with it.

But someone mentioned stevia makes them pee a lot on another thread and it got me thinking. I've been using artificial sweeteners for years (probably as long as I've had the urination frequency issue?) I don't use stevia that often. But I use sucralose to sweeten my foods on a daily basis and many of the protein powder and bars and low cal foods I buy have sucralose in them and sometimes sugar alcohols. The flavour drops I use to flavour my water also have sucralose and acesulfam-K in them.

I started googling it, but not much came up. Several websites mention certain artificial sweeteners being "irritating to the bladder" along with many common foods like tomatoes and spicy foods. So there is a connection but it doesn't sound like it's artificial sweeteners in themselves can make you pee many times more if you don't have a bladder problem to begin with. But there were also a few other mentions on the web of people noticing a connection and saying artificial sweeteners make them pee a lot.

It also appears to be not that easy to test by elimination since apparently it can "wear out the bladder over time" and it becomes use to frequent urination. Also, since artificial sweeteners are all different I assume not all of them have that affect? One website mentioned sucralose, the other aspartam and the person in the other thread mention stevia.

So basically I wanted to start a thread to see if there are other people who have noticed a connection and if yes, what was the type of artificial sweetener that caused an increased i urination frequency?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Maybe we can get @Aaron_K123 to chime in.

I've always had to get up 2-3 times a night. Losing weight has not changed that for me. So long before I was drinking diet soda's I had the issue and I still have it now that I drink mostly water and some diet pop.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I do so love the detailed answers @aaron_k123 provides.

Not a purposeful sugar substitute user, just eat it if it is in something I have chosen to eat, like my morning protein bar.

However, I was peeing a lot during the day, also drinking about 2-3 litres of water (quite a bit on top of other liquids for my 100-105lbs). On top of the water consumption I dislike anything more than a trace of salt in my food.
    My carbs are an average 30-40% daily- so no problem there.

What I found helper cut down on the frequent peeing was increasing my electrolytes, and strengthening my pelvic floor.

I prefer Emergen-C for the electrolyte boost, there are plenty of other brands to choose from, including just raising ones salt intake.

For the pelvic floor I just found a few ab exercises that focused on the pelvic floor, and included doing kegels daily.

Oddly enough I rarely have to get up in the night.
    I put this down to a piece of probably erroneous information I read decades ago (I was very young) that said there was a 'switch' in your brain that stopped one peeing at night. I believed it at the time. Now, (at 65) even if I wake up and think I should go I just tell myself to go back to sleep and the 'switch' will work. Hahahaha, silly aside I know, but it works every time.

Cheers, h.

I am so stealing this for camping in cold weather...
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    There may be a lot of people that drink more without realizing it when they add water flavoring (just because they prefer the taste and thus take more frequent sips).
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

ETA: @aaron_k123, is there a hormonal response/connection to not pering when asleep. Obviously not my 'switch'.

I don't know to be honest. I mean clearly we can train ourselves to control our bladder subconciously because we don't just pee ourselves and yet that control isn't really that mentally directed (unless you are actively holding it back because you are about to burst). I guess I always assumed it was mental conditioning, pathways established in your brain that acted as that "switch". That said if your bladder is full and there is pressure on it your brain is going to be screaming at you to go and I don't think you could just will that feeling away or even if you could that you really should. If you just sort-of could go and you wake up then sure I could imagine you could will that away to some degree.

But yeah, bottom line I'm just guessing so don't take that as some sort of informed opinion on how one controls ones bladder.

• arobey11
    arobey11 Posts: 87 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Not a purposeful sugar substitute user, just eat it if it is in something I have chosen to eat, like my morning protein bar.

However, I was peeing a lot during the day, also drinking about 2-3 litres of water (quite a bit on top of other liquids for my 100-105lbs). On top of the water consumption I dislike anything more than a trace of salt in my food.

What I found helper cut down on the frequent peeing was increasing my electrolytes, and strengthening my pelvic floor.

I prefer Emergen-C for the electrolyte boost, there are plenty of other brands to choose from, including just raising ones salt intake.

For the pelvic floor I just found a few ab exercises that focused on the pelvic floor, and included doing kegels daily.

I put this down to a piece of probably erroneous information I read decades ago (I was very young) that said there was a 'switch' in your brain that stopped one peeing at night. I believed it at the time. Now, (at 65) even if I wake up and think I should go I just tell myself to go back to sleep and the 'switch' will work. Hahahaha, silly aside I know, but it works every time.

Cheers, h.

ETA: @aaron_k123, is there a hormonal response/connection to not pering when asleep. Obviously not my 'switch'.

I was curious also so I looked it up and came across this site:

https://www.babycenter.com/0_developmental-milestone-nighttime-dryness_67742.bc
    For your child to sleep through the night without urinating, his bladder must be able to hold the urine he makes during the night. To help this happen, his body needs to produce a hormone that slows down urine production. As a result, there's less urine, but it's more concentrated. Children who wet the bed may not yet be producing enough of this hormone.

Upon looking up more about this hormone it looks like it's widely known as ADH (antidiuretic hormone) and there are treatments available to increase the levels of ADH.

Sorry for nerding out, y'all :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    arobey11 wrote: »

Cheers, h.

For your child to sleep through the night without urinating, his bladder must be able to hold the urine he makes during the night. To help this happen, his body needs to produce a hormone that slows down urine production. As a result, there's less urine, but it's more concentrated. Children who wet the bed may not yet be producing enough of this hormone.

Upon looking up more about this hormone it looks like it's widely known as ADH (antidiuretic hormone) and there are treatments available to increase the levels of ADH.

Thanks for the nerding out. Got to admit, because my silly 'switch' thing worked I have never thought much about it.
    It does make sense, baby bladder control, plus the hormone influence, when you think about the darker colour pee is when you wake could be the concentration level.

Thanks for the well thought out response (as always) @Aaron_K123. B)

Cheers, h.

Sorry for veering a little off topic @oat_bran
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

Thanks for your input and for the tips. I was actually considering starting doing pelvic floor strengthening exercises. And I should try adding potassium salt and more regular salt to my diet to see if it helps.
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    arobey11 wrote: »

Hmm, this is interesting. Waking up more than once to pee at night is actually considered as a condition called nocturia and from what I what I've read about it, it's not really treatable. It can only be slightly improved by drinking less in the evening and training the bladder to hold more urine by gradually extending the time between urinating. Low levels of ADH are not mention among the causes though. I wonder if it can actually still be a potential cause in adults?
  • OffGridChick22
    OffGridChick22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My 20 year old niece and I are both doing this (I'm 52 years old) we have both lost 30 lbs so far. We drink the exact same amount of water and eat the same foods (she lives with us). We also both use Stevia a couple times a day. I am up peeing 3-4 times a night and she never gets up to pee. My conclusion was simply age lol ... funny thing is, we were just talking about this.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi Oats,
    I have a similar issue with frequent urination and I have definitely noticed a connection in myself between urination and artificial sweeteners. Also, carbonated beverages. Eliminating them from my diet did cause a decrease in the frequency and urgency on a day to day basis. I just use regular sweeteners when needed and less. I still have the issue on-going, but every little improvement helps with an annoying condition like this!
    Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it more.

So, was it eliminating the artificial sweeteners, or the carbonated drinks (which are like 98% or more water) which contain them? My money is on the drinks. Especially as the condition persists, just not as bad. What I mean is, did you do an experiment where you consumed the same amount of carbonated drinks, without artificial sweeteners, and see if it had the same effects?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I drink all kinds of artificial sweeteners, in carbonated and still beverages. I have noticed no increased urge or increased frequency of urination.

If I did, I would assume it was because I drink more tasty (sweet) beverages than water. That said, water makes me pee like crazy. When I go to the gym, I experience increased urination for at least 2 hours afterwards, because I drink a lot of water at the gym (about 32 ounces). Maybe exercising is bad for me... :wink:

If you are experiencing an unusual increase in frequency or urgency when it comes to urination, I'd suggest you visit your doctor, not dr google.