Can weight lifting stunt growth in children

I’ve heard it said by several people that weightlifting can inhibit growth in children. My son is 11 and he is encouraged to max out in athletics. Is there any scientific basis to this claim?

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited October 2018
    Stunt? No. Potentially damage joints? Yes. Before children are past puberty they should really be doing very little weight lifting. Mostly just play including any and all sports they enjoy that include intervals, sprints, and body weight exercises. Some very controlled, low weight lifting to help support joints in a rehab after injury type setting is ok, with direction. But if it is muscular balance that is desired then the child should focus on a variety of sports and activity’s that do not focus on heavy lifting.

This is what I learned from sports medicine practitioners in my physical rehab portion of college classes, any and all physiotherapists I have spoken to, and any doctor I have ever seen with my children in tow.

I am sure someone will have research for you. Please speak to your sons doctor before taking that advice!!

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Lifting does not inhibit growth in children. However, lifting should be supervised, good form should be stressed, and the loads should be scaled back appropriately. Maxing out 11 year olds doesn't make sense to me, if you are talking about going for 1RM lifts.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I asked the sports doctor at our gym. His answer was no heavy lifting until after puberty. Growth plates are hard enough at that point.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    What does "max out in athletics" mean?

I was a competitive athlete from 3rd grade through my senior year in high school in a variety of sports...namely track and field, swimming, gymnastics, and football. I think being a multi sport athlete growing up was very good for my overall development and helped when things became more focused in high school to track in the spring and football in the fall.

I didn't do any kind of weight lifting when I was young...sport was enough. I started body weight training when I was 12 as a structured part of the sports I was engaged in...particularly with gymnastics. I didn't start lifting until my freshman year of high school.

Everything I've ever heard and been told is no weights until after puberty.