Any parents or family of amazing special needs children of any age and any ability?

13ยป

Replies

• alyangel123
    alyangel123 Posts: 41 Member
    Me :) my 5 year old is autistic, we were told non-verbal but after amazing therapists he can get his point across, even if it's not always easy to understand or totally out of context haha. My 4 year old is adopted and is autistic and dmdd, verbally great, but has severe rages. We have 2 more neurologically normal babies so far, 2 years and 4 months, and I have a step son whose 13. It's busy around here haha

We do a lot of walks together, at first I had to use leashes, because they'd elope a lot, but they've gotten really good at the red light green light game lol. So we walk around the neighborhood. Otherwise I work out after bed, but mine go down with sleep meds at 6:30 And get up at 6.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    I don't have any special needs kids but still wanted to show my support to the parents / uncles/ family in this thread. Hugs!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    I don't have any special needs kids but still wanted to show my support to the parents / uncles/ family in this thread. Hugs!

Every bit of support and acknowledgement helps. Really.

Thank you.
  • Nicksmom106
    Nicksmom106 Posts: 1,624 Member
    I have a home gym and made it a habit. I also have clinical depression so exercise is a big part of my treatment. Once I discovered weight lifting I was hooked. So I follow a powerlifting program 3x per week if I'm cutting or follow a combo of power/hypertrophy 4x per week if I'm maintaining or bulking. Heading into maintenance again now as I just finished a cut and have some wrist issues that will keep me from bulking this winter. Off days I use my elliptical or go for a run while the kiddo is in school or once my husband is home.

She's actually taken after me with the elliptical and hits it for almost an hour each evening or if she's feeling low (pms hits her hard or she's overwhelmed after school) she hops on it and feels a lot better afterwards.

Fortunately, I have time as I am only working part-time at the moment but even full time, I just do it. It helps in so many ways.

Great advice!!! I am so freaking proud to call you a friend girl!๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŒผ
    I love that she works out with mom!!! Nick loves to have momma around because we literally crack each other up๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ˜„ but he has his trampoline and legs of steel and I swimming etc. He does cardio and weight training at school even yoga....๐Ÿ˜ฎ

I do have a treadmill but it's in our shed and covered in boxes...sigh... And same with our elliptical machine...I suppose it's time to move those boxe๐Ÿ˜ lol! Thanks for the pep talk!!๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ‘

Ps if I hit the 1 billion dollar lottery tonight we are so getting together somewhere fun and stressfree!! All of us๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ‘ซ๐Ÿ‘ซ๐Ÿ‘ญ๐Ÿ‘ซ(and I'll buy us all our own gyms!!! Lol )โ€ฆand get someone to move those darn boxes๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Œ
  • Nicksmom106
    Autism is a spectrum. On the extreme left side of non-functioning on that scale is my brother's daughter. She's 36. Her needs influenced his career decisions. At this time he conducts his business from home while he and his wife provide her with 24-7 care. At some point he and his wife will not be able to care for her. She has 2 healthy brothers, one of whom is married and living nearby. They haven't told me what their plans are.

That's great she has sibs! It can be so consuming almost like you have a small.child for years and years and years....while most of us grow tired and older instead of maintaining like our children....this is a job that usually gets easier physically at least...but not for lots of us.๐Ÿ’— labor of love is still labor๐Ÿ‘

I'm sure knowing you are also there is a great.relief as.well!

Thanks for.sharing....I'm overwhelmed in a wonderful way...I feel such kinship to you all thanks for helping me everyone!!! Means.more than you know!๐Ÿ’•
  • Nicksmom106

Thank you!!!!!!!!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰ means alot!!!
  • Nicksmom106
    Me :) my 5 year old is autistic, we were told non-verbal but after amazing therapists he can get his point across, even if it's not always easy to understand or totally out of context haha. My 4 year old is adopted and is autistic and dmdd, verbally great, but has severe rages. We have 2 more neurologically normal babies so far, 2 years and 4 months, and I have a step son whose 13. It's busy around here haha

We do a lot of walks together, at first I had to use leashes, because they'd elope a lot, but they've gotten really good at the red light green light game lol. So we walk around the neighborhood. Otherwise I work out after bed, but mine go down with sleep meds at 6:30 And get up at 6.

You have your hands full!!!๐Ÿ‘. But I love that game...it used to be 123 freeze..go go.go.go!..lol only now he would literally keep going and I would not be able to catch him hahaha!!! buggers fast lol
    Hugs to you and yours!!! So glad you came by!
    ๐ŸŒผ๐Ÿ‘
  • thatguygage2543
    thatguygage2543 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi my 6 year old son is deaf and autistic and we just recently found to masses on his brain and go back next week to find out more I do everything I can to make sure he eats as healthy and gets as much of his daily vitamins and protiens when his mother let's me have him on the weekends but I do all I can for him and myself to stay strong each and everyday to everyone
    Stay strong and may you be blessed

Oh wow hon! ๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’žI will pray and send your boy all the positive wishes I can!!! You keep.strong...he needs you and you are really gonna be stresses/worried and in a constant state of fear...I know hon...been there many times...not the same.of course but I do remember having that, " how could.the whole world not stop when my life was in such turmoil! " feeling!

Nicholas now almost 18, underwent 3 major operations for his kidneys and urethra. All before 2.5 yrs....the last was supposed to be 2 to 3 hrs and lasted almost 6 and we'll to say I was a wreck.would be like saying your heart being torn out was a boo boo๐Ÿ˜ข long story short all worked out and security didn't mind my scene of tears and screaming to my husband Get my baby NOOOOOW!!!!!๐Ÿ˜ญ when they found out why I was losing.my mind at the 4 hour mark which upscaled to a 9 on the Richter scale๐Ÿ˜

I think this is going to.rock you no matter what and all I can offer is my friendship and compassion and hope! I will tell you having you be there for him the way you are is absolutely beautiful and my heart will be with you both!
    ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ‘

As for trying to get him to eat healthy and his vitamins in him tells me God knew what he was doing when he blessed you both with each other!!๐ŸŒผ

Come chat anytime you need mr. And stay ๐Ÿ’ช you are more so than you know!๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜

Thanks for the inspiration and kindness keeping my head up the best as I can and pushing forward in life every day
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    So to change speed a bit....how do you find the time to exercise?!๐Ÿ˜ญ lol im.making up all the chores class and work while nick.is in school.i.have almost no extra time for me to work out?!๐Ÿ˜ฃout

Tips people I need to steal.all your tips!!!๐Ÿ˜

Much appreciated!๐Ÿ˜˜๐ŸŒผ
    Ali

For me, I have a schedule that I adhere to. In the a.m. after breakfast I swing days... M,W,F are strength training for at least 30 min and T,TH,S are cardio in the a.m. Then after hubby gets home, I walk my backyard for 30min to an hour. There are days that get crazy, we have co-ops, field trips, or events and other days where I'm just behind lol. But, I go with the flow and do what I can.
  • Nicksmom106
    Hi my 6 year old son is deaf and autistic and we just recently found to masses on his brain and go back next week to find out more I do everything I can to make sure he eats as healthy and gets as much of his daily vitamins and protiens when his mother let's me have him on the weekends but I do all I can for him and myself to stay strong each and everyday to everyone
    Stay strong and may you be blessed

Oh wow hon! ๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’žI will pray and send your boy all the positive wishes I can!!! You keep.strong...he needs you and you are really gonna be stresses/worried and in a constant state of fear...I know hon...been there many times...not the same.of course but I do remember having that, " how could.the whole world not stop when my life was in such turmoil! " feeling!

Nicholas now almost 18, underwent 3 major operations for his kidneys and urethra. All before 2.5 yrs....the last was supposed to be 2 to 3 hrs and lasted almost 6 and we'll to say I was a wreck.would be like saying your heart being torn out was a boo boo๐Ÿ˜ข long story short all worked out and security didn't mind my scene of tears and screaming to my husband Get my baby NOOOOOW!!!!!๐Ÿ˜ญ when they found out why I was losing.my mind at the 4 hour mark which upscaled to a 9 on the Richter scale๐Ÿ˜

I think this is going to.rock you no matter what and all I can offer is my friendship and compassion and hope! I will tell you having you be there for him the way you are is absolutely beautiful and my heart will be with you both!
    ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ‘

As for trying to get him to eat healthy and his vitamins in him tells me God knew what he was doing when he blessed you both with each other!!๐ŸŒผ

Come chat anytime you need mr. And stay ๐Ÿ’ช you are more so than you know!๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜

Thanks for the inspiration and kindness keeping my head up the best as I can and pushing forward in life every day

You're amazing and i am proud and honored to call you friend!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    I've been a Full-Time Dad to a special needs daughter for the past 5 years. She was born 9 weeks premature from a Urogenital Malformation, had a stroke from the trauma of her birth giving her Cerebral Palsy, and has been developmentally delayed from various complications over the first few years of her life. On top of this, she was a Dec 26th, baby dumping into the school system a year earlier than she should be (prematurity irrelevant), but don my super shirts to fight for her needs daily and get her the support she needs to be her best!

She's now 5 1/2 and settling well into her first year of Kindergarten and I couldn't be happier at seeing her grow and develop.

You are doing a great job, your daughter will continue to do well I'm sure. Good on you, yes the fighting will go in to get her needs met it's comes with the teriirtory of being a parent of a special needs child. Good luck
  • Nicksmom106
    I've been a Full-Time Dad to a special needs daughter for the past 5 years. She was born 9 weeks premature from a Urogenital Malformation, had a stroke from the trauma of her birth giving her Cerebral Palsy, and has been developmentally delayed from various complications over the first few years of her life. On top of this, she was a Dec 26th, baby dumping into the school system a year earlier than she should be (prematurity irrelevant), but don my super shirts to fight for her needs daily and get her the support she needs to be her best!

She's now 5 1/2 and settling well into her first year of Kindergarten and I couldn't be happier at seeing her grow and develop.

You are doing a great job, your daughter will continue to do well I'm sure. Good on you, yes the fighting will go in to get her needs met it's comes with the teriirtory of being a parent of a special needs child. Good luck

Truer words never spoken! We all have one thing common not matter diagnoses, age etc...we need to be warriors and every year your armor and weaponry and skills will grow! That's why we need healthy bodies, which help our minds, which keeps us sharp and ready to fight and get what our kiddos need!๐Ÿ’ช hugs amazing warriors!๐Ÿ˜˜
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I don't have kids, but I've worked with special needs children. Major props to you parents/guardians raising them!!
  • Nicksmom106
    I don't have kids, but I've worked with special needs children. Major props to you parents/guardians raising them!!

You are a rock๐ŸŒŸ to folks like us! ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŒผ thank you for choosing such a needed, important and I'm sure rewarding profession!!!๐Ÿ˜˜