Losing 150lbs for Air Force Officer training

I have a long road ahead of me and looking for someone or a group of people to help keep the motivation high. I tend to be good in the beginning and lose steam half way through. I have 3 years to lose this weight. I'm thinking that is PLEANTY of time to lose weight and gain endurance. I can't run or do pull ups, yet. I can do some sit ups and knee push ups. I'm working on that. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. This has been a life long dream. I will make this come true.

Replies

• lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    edited October 2018
    You can do this!! It won't always be easy, but you just have to keep up your willpower. I suggest checking out the challenges board. The monthly or season-long weight loss challenges are a great way to stay motivated. There are some exercise challenges as well.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Tell us a little about your circumstance.
  • RunnethUpB
    RunnethUpB Posts: 18 Member

What about? I'm 26 and 305lbs. I've lost weight before and got to 227 as my lowest. Now I'm at my all time highest. I'm in nursing school and plan on losing the weight to commission as an officer. The thing I find hardest is controlling my food. I can eat and eat and eat then eat some more. So I'm using this to calorie count and going to the gym 4-5 times a week. I work four 12 hour shifts back to back so finding time is difficult but I make the time. Getting on an eating schedule is hard to nail down with these hours. But I'm doing my best.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    ps: regular exercise and good sleep helps me not have the munchies as well.
  • RunnethUpB
    RunnethUpB Posts: 18 Member
    Thank you all for your posts. Yes I'm currently in the nursing field now as a nursing assistant. So I'm on my feet at least 10 out if the 12 hours. Which is another reason I really need to get this weight off. For a 26 year old, I hurt all over. I want to be lean, strong and healthy. That's my goal. Thanks again :)
  • Shadioutwo
    Shadioutwo Posts: 36 Member
    Some great advice here! I'm also in the camp of thinking it would be easier (and more sustainable) for you to get the logging and calorie deficit in order before embarking on the strength training/cardio.

By all means, if you enjoy it and it's not burdensome, then head to the gym after your shifts, but I think you'd be better placed getting the food right first. I say this as someone who also works in the medical field and does long shifts! You'd be surprised how much exercise you'd be doing as a nurse on her feet all day!

I also agree with the poster above who advocates less carbs, more protein and more fats. I've lost and gained loads of weight over my life and the easiest way to feel full on a calorie deficit is by doing this.
    I'm not suggesting you go full keto (unless you're keen on it) but definitely replacing carbs with protein and good quality fats will help with making you feel full longer and improve your energy levels.

Good luck! You have a great motivation, a concrete goal and you will get there :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

What about? I'm 26 and 305lbs. I've lost weight before and got to 227 as my lowest. Now I'm at my all time highest. I'm in nursing school and plan on losing the weight to commission as an officer. The thing I find hardest is controlling my food. I can eat and eat and eat then eat some more. So I'm using this to calorie count and going to the gym 4-5 times a week. I work four 12 hour shifts back to back so finding time is difficult but I make the time. Getting on an eating schedule is hard to nail down with these hours. But I'm doing my best.

@veganbaum wrote a great post.

I'd add that with your weight and activity level (exercise done at work and home, not for fitness), you'd still need to eat a lot just to not gain weight.

Make sure you're eating enough to fuel the gym 4-5 weeks on top of that.

Do you have a smartwatch/fitness tracker synced to MFP?

I've found my Fitbit Charge HR and my Garmin Fenix 5 were amazingly accurate at calculating my energy expenditure. A lot of the old threads say fitness trackers can be as much as 50% inaccurate, but in the past few years when I've lost weight, mine were about 95% accurate.

Make sure you're eating back your exercise calories, and let your stated weekly weight loss goal calorie deficit take care of the weight loss.

Otherwise, with your "motivation" burst at the beginning, you're likely to crash and burn on too few calories then binge it all back.

I'll repeat again for you, read the Helpful Posts announcements, and learn from the successful people on how to do this happily and sustainably.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    First, start logging. Then, tighten up the logging so that you include creamer and ketchup, and weigh foods when possible. Finally, stay under the calorie count, which might mean eating back only a half to 3/4 if your exercise burn.

If you stall then the guesstimate for the exercise burn might be too high. You’ll lose the weight. But when you slip and binge (note I didn’t say “if”), get right back on track that day or the next morning.