Anyone have a good gym workout routine (cardio)

Options
Hey so just I usually just go with the flow at the gym usually go on the treadmill, bike & cross trainer. Does anyone have a cardio plan? I only do cardio because not sure how to use the weight machines.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Like @sijomial says, a great plan for someone else may not be a great plan for you. What are your goals? Do you have specific things you want to accomplish or are you looking for just general fitness, etc?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I started out doing 20 minutes on each machine (for like an hour total if just doing cardio that day) and eventually figured out which ones I enjoyed and challenged me and were sustainable habits. I like the rower and the stair climbers for short bursts, but can do longer sessions on the elliptical. I run on the treadmill once in a while but mostly do that outside.
  • paigethurlow95
    paigethurlow95 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. Soo.. I do about half an hour to 40 mins on the treadmill jogging for around 5/8 mins at a time then walk for a couple then back to jogging.. I am so unfit on the treadmill and I jog on a 6 but I keep getting a stitch in my side so I can’t jog too long.
    I spend about 15 mins on the bike on a incline 2 and I spend around 25 mins on the cross trainer on incline 2 :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Goals?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. Soo.. I do about half an hour to 40 mins on the treadmill jogging for around 5/8 mins at a time then walk for a couple then back to jogging.. I am so unfit on the treadmill and I jog on a 6 but I keep getting a stitch in my side so I can’t jog too long.
    I spend about 15 mins on the bike on a incline 2 and I spend around 25 mins on the cross trainer on incline 2 :)

So what are your goals in terms of cardio. What do you want to be able to do?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hey so just I usually just go with the flow at the gym usually go on the treadmill, bike & cross trainer. Does anyone have a cardio plan? I only do cardio because not sure how to use the weight machines.

Good cardio routine (or any exercise routine) is the one you enjoy, unless you have very specific goals (like training for an event, goals set by a physical therapist etc). Personally, I would rather go for a walk or run outdoors, or swimming, or join a cardio class and I hate bikes with a passion. For someone else, 2 hours on a bike might be heaven. There is no answer that fits all.
  • takemetosingapore2019
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Good routines are aligned with personal fitness goals and ability levels - what are yours?

For example back in summer I followed an 8 week training plan to prepare for a 100 mile cycle ride, got a feeling that wouldn't be what you are looking for! :smiley:

I once biked almost 100 miles with no training....
  • takemetosingapore2019
    Options
    OP- find something you enjoy and then just do it regularly. Maybe it’s biking, maybe running or maybe it’s just walking or hiking around outside and getting some fresh air.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of ARCTrainer (like a cross between a treadmill, Nordiac and stepper; I set it fairly strenuous) and a 30 minute full body circuit training. I belong to PF, but they have laid out circuits at lots of other places. There are alternating numbered step platforms and machines and there is a light on the wall that alternates between red for 30 seconds and green for 60. Exercise on green, move to next platform/machine on red. I move and go ahead and start with as small of a break as possible. After that, I do a little on specific machines for my lower back an abs and I pull the resistance rope until I almost drop. All that takes about 75 minutes total.

Within that comes my goals. I want to say trim and fit and I am in pretty good shape; not heavily built up but good definition.

I set the ARCTrainer with a fair amount of resistance and keep my HR in the 150 range.

I set a lot of the machines on the heavy side when circuit training. I feel like I have the setting right if it's all I can do to make it to the next red light or better yet if I barely can't. The circuit is not heavily used and I can usually stay put for a second set on some machines if I feel I need to. Sometimes I skip some of the step platforms. It seems more common for people to set the machines lighter where they can keep a quick cadence all the way through, do cardio but making sure all the muscles are engaged at one point or another. I approach the machines more like I am doing a couple of strength training reps but I keep moving on and do full body.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Did you recently join the gym? Every gym I've ever joined offered 1-3 sessions with a personal trainer. If you've missed the window for this, it's worth it to pay for a few sessions to clarify goals, get familiar with the weights, and develop a routine.

My cardio plan is mostly outdoors and so seasonal and weather dependent.
    • Just did a bunch of post-frost fall cleanup.
    • Earlier this month we dug up a 3' x 60' strip of grass and planted ornamental grass and mulched.
    • I'm fixing to push away from the computer and go hiking.
    • I don't let the winter cold and snow deter me - I bundle up and go to the state park where it's partially plowed and partially packed down by other walkers and skiers.
    • Or for an extremely intense workout I strap on the snowshoes and clomp around on the paths out back behind my house.
    • I also maintain these trails. Satisfies the gardening itch off season.
    • Spring I do lots of gardening
    • Summer I swim
    • When it's raining I do yoga indoors.
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Did you recently join the gym? Every gym I've ever joined offered 1-3 sessions with a personal trainer. If you've missed the window for this, it's worth it to pay for a few sessions to clarify goals, get familiar with the weights, and develop a routine.

• Earlier this month we dug up a 3' x 60' strip of grass and planted ornamental grass and mulched.
    • I don't let the winter cold and snow deter me - I bundle up and go to the state park where it's partially plowed and partially packed down by other walkers and skiers.
    • Or for an extremely intense workout I strap on the snowshoes and clomp around on the paths out back behind my house.
    • Summer I swim

Exactly! Also, get what you're paying for, ask about the free training sessions. I just joined the gym last week and had my first session Friday. Now I have a full body workout. Not just guessing.

Really need to find your why and set some goals. Then you will see results.

Good luck on your journey!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    For general cardiovascular fitness and to burn some extra calories, you can just do whatever you enjoy doing.

I don't do cardio in the gym...I primarily cycle. When I'm training for a cycling event, I will follow a program...otherwise, as a matter of general cardiovascular fitness I just make sure I get out on my bike for at least 30 minutes 5-7 days per week.

I do recommend doing resistance training...it is very good for you and will do more to change your body than all of the cardio in the world. I would recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women as a good place to start...the program is pretty good, but the read is really worth it as it will explain what you're doing and why. Lifting is where I definitely recommend following some kind of established program to get the best results...writing your own programming requires quite a bit of knowledge.

For cardio, you can just do whatever unless you have more specific goals...since you're run/walking, perhaps something like C25K would be beneficial to getting you to being able to run a 5K and would give you more structure if that's what you're looking for.
  • paigethurlow95
    Options

You can start slowly, and you can find a lot of videos online to show you. Don't shy away from free weights, either.

I'm a cardio king. I like riding a road bike over mountain passes. I'm telling you to add some weights because it's genuinely good for everybody. Lifting weights won't help you lose weight really, but it'll help you have a better looking body at the end of your journey. More importantly, it will make a lot of things in life easier and protect you in the long run.[/quote]

THANK YOU 🙏 someone really understands what I mean yeah I don’t necessarily have any goals I’m just wondering what sort of cardio stuff people do & how long they spend on the machines. I will definitely have to look at the YouTube videos I tried going on the crunch machine today I put the weights on the lowest one and it was impossible for me to pull the bar down I’m so weak!! Thanks for your reply.
  • paigethurlow95
    Options

• Summer I swim

Thank you for your reply. No I joined in February I was showed how to use the cardio machines because that’s all I was interested in at the time. The gym I go to the gym instructor is always sitting in the office at the reception but there are never in the gym unless they are checking, I feel like I don’t want to bother them. I go on my own so a bit shy on trying new things especially if the gym is full. 😫
  • paigethurlow95
    Options

• Summer I swim

Exactly! Also, get what you're paying for, ask about the free training sessions. I just joined the gym last week and had my first session Friday. Now I have a full body workout. Not just guessing.

Really need to find your why and set some goals. Then you will see results.

Good luck on your journey!

My only goal is to loose weight :) I was just wondering what sort of cardio stuff people do and what there routines are like.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    If your goal is simply to burn calories...

I haven't found anything better than running outside...

Things like jumping rope and rowing might burn more calories... But you won't be able to go as long