Coffee Addict!

Options
Broke down and got a tall coffee at Starbucks after 6 days of going without it. Does coffee really affect weight loss, diabetes or insulin resistance?

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It doesn't affect weight loss, no.
  • shashaz2002
    Options
    I am a starbucks addict as well, and get a coffee every morning, I was still able to lose 80 pounds.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I can assure you from experience that drinking coffee (I drink coffee everyday) will not hinder you from losing weight as long as the add ins don't cause you to go over your calories each day.
  • brittany33107
    Options
    I couldn't go one day without coffee!! I don't think it's effected my weight-loss either! I just make sure and drink plenty of water.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    All in all it's pretty neutral, assuming you drink it like it's meant to be drunk - black :)
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of evidence to show that coffee is only detrimental in large quantities. Don't worry about the occasional one!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee and I lose weight. I use sugar free hazelnut creamer. I only drink it once, maybe twice a day now but when it gets cold out I will drink more of it!
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Too many useless calories! Stick to water and green tea.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have a decaf sugar free latte almost every day, and it has not affected me. I just make sure I stay with in my calorie goal.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's not the coffee... it's what you may add to it. But I hear ya.... it's rough! I went 40 days without it and thought that perhaps I had kicked the 'habit'.... nope! Got right back on it but I am so much more enjoyable when I have coffee.
  • mreneecohen
    mreneecohen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I only drink regular coffee with very little cream and sugar (or Splenda)! I don't do "foo foo" drinks so that helps! I do love my sugar free hazelnut creamer though! I just heard it can affect insulin resistance in some way???
  • killagb
    Options

If you drink it with nothing added it's all of 10 to 15 calories.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It does not effect your weight loss if you drink only two cups per day. I'm saying this from my own experience. I drink two cups per day no sugar only milk and I've been drinking it all my life. Sugar is our enemy. Coffee is good for as long as you don't over do it :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Black coffe has like 5-7 calories
    Coffee with skim milk (how I drink it) 15 calories

If I think that is "too many useless calories" i don't want a lifestyle change, the day 15 calories is my true worry is the day I have reached unhealthy obsession. I have coffee every morning.
  • mreneecohen
    Options
    It's not the coffee... it's what you may add to it. But I hear ya.... it's rough! I went 40 days without it and thought that perhaps I had kicked the 'habit'.... nope! Got right back on it but I am so much more enjoyable when I have coffee.

I am right there with you! I just put my "grouch" card away!
  • LisaGod85
    LisaGod85 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It does not effect your weight loss if you drink only two cups per day. I'm saying this from my own experience. I drink two cups per day no sugar only milk and I've been drinking it all my life. Sugar is our enemy. Coffee is good for as long as you don't over do it :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I agree with this! Though I think we're all guilty of a little splurge every now and then :) I've been working on reducing my sugar in coffee, one TSP at a time...
  • killagb
    Options
    Screw all this talk....I'm going to Starbucks.
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    the only thing bad about coffee is all the cream and sugar people add to it
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I have read that it can, for some people. But I'm not willing to attempt giving it up. I just love drinking it too much. So warm and comforting. But I don't drink as much as I used to. I'll have 2-3 cups per day (assuming a standard 6 ounce cup). And only 1-2 tablespoons of creamer and a few packets of splenda. I log this in my food diary.
  • mreneecohen
    Options
    Screw all this talk....I'm going to Starbucks.

Thank you! :laugh: