Leg cramps help

Options
2»

Replies

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    As others have said magnesium, also include folic acid and iron.
  • aliciatastic1
    aliciatastic1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for my blood test results. I have started drinking electrolyte water and taking potassium supplement ( deficiency runs in my family) muscle aches, pains and cramps are gone now thanks for the advice. I will adjust when blood test results come back next week. I think it's just my body adjusting to all the major changes in my life. New job indoor/ outdoor in hot cars, 5x week workouts, diet changes etc. So far though I am noticing a major improvement with supplements. My weighloss is back on track.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Calcium, too. I agree with potassium and magnesium. My son and myself have gotten the cramps. I use Now Potassium Gluconate powder every day per several cardiologists and track the potassium on MFP. Dr. Crandall in Florida for one. He has a book out and Dr. Masley--also a book. I need to look into the salt myself. I use Quantum health products and I was already planning on picking up their pink salt as I cut my sodium way low since I heard the salt in our diets is really junk, but we still need some--so pink it is. Dr Marshall of Quantum Nutrition Labs on his site can explain how to test yourself to see if you have enough salt in your system. Quantum has an excellent one. The seaweed is interesting. It is good for needed GLA too--for brain health.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for my blood test results. I have started drinking electrolyte water and taking potassium supplement ( deficiency runs in my family) muscle aches, pains and cramps are gone now thanks for the advice. I will adjust when blood test results come back next week. I think it's just my body adjusting to all the major changes in my life. New job indoor/ outdoor in hot cars, 5x week workouts, diet changes etc. So far though I am noticing a major improvement with supplements. My weighloss is back on track.

As an aside, cramps are in the muscles but they are not caused by the muscles, they are caused by the nerves that control the muscles which is why the first thing to look at is an electrolyte imbalance. Electrolytes are in the body to facilitate the proper functioning of the electric pulses that go to all the organs and muscles.

Yes, major changes in lifestyle can throw them off. Sounds like you are on the right track and it is good that your doctor ordered blood tests and I hope (s)he can give more specific advice along with the results. Waking up with a cramp is no fun, even if it is a simple charley horse that you can stretch out without even getting out of bed.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    Calcium, too. I agree with potassium and magnesium. My son and myself have gotten the cramps. I use Now Potassium Gluconate powder every day per several cardiologists and track the potassium on MFP. Dr. Crandall in Florida for one. He has a book out and Dr. Masley--also a book. I need to look into the salt myself. I use Quantum health products and I was already planning on picking up their pink salt as I cut my sodium way low since I heard the salt in our diets is really junk, but we still need some--so pink it is. Dr Marshall of Quantum Nutrition Labs on his site can explain how to test yourself to see if you have enough salt in your system. Quantum has an excellent one. The seaweed is interesting. It is good for needed GLA too--for brain health.

Pink salt does nothing regular table salt won't do since both are 99.4% sodium. If you want something effective, get no-salt or lo-salt. They are made with potassium chloride (or a mix of sodium chloride and potassium chloride) so you get the benefit of additional potassium while reducing your sodium.

Salt in our diets is not junk, it is an essential electrolyte. On the other hand, many people DO eat too much of it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

Pink salt does nothing regular table salt won't do since both are 99.4% sodium. If you want something effective, get no-salt or lo-salt. They are made with potassium chloride (or a mix of sodium chloride and potassium chloride) so you get the benefit of additional potassium while reducing your sodium.

Salt in our diets is not junk, it is an essential electrolyte. On the other hand, many people DO eat too much of it.

We can disagree. The wrong kind of salt is junk. We do need a good source. The pink salt is actually known to hydrate you as well. That information comes from the Quantum Nutrition Labs site.

You might want to check some place other than the website that sells the stuff. Science Based Medicine is always a good place to start: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/pink-himalayan-sea-salt-an-update/

The conclusion: "There is no evidence that pink Himalayan sea salt is healthier than regular table salt; if anything, there is reason to suspect it might be less healthy. It’s not “pure;” it’s full of contaminants. Its popularity is a triumph of marketing over science and common sense."
    QFT. Reliable, reputable sources matter. ;)
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    If you sweat a lot from your workouts, you might need more salt. That was my problem years ago when I first started working out a lot. I made sure to stay hydrated, but I didn't realize my sodium levels were so low. Adding just a bit of salt to my meals helped!
    There are also pills you can take called Hylands Leg Cramps (I used to just get store brand though) that are a lifesaver! They're also good for restless legs, if you ever have that problem too.

I take Restless Leg pm, they work for me, and I only have to take 1 a night.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You’re not going to believe this, but as a firefighter paramedic, when we overheat or dehydrate, we down Pickle juice...I know...you’re thinking I must be crazy. But we all swear by it. Works fast and no more leg or foot cramps. Also increase your hydration and cool showers after your workouts. It won’t take much pickle juice to do the trick, think along the lines of 4 to 6 oz..two to three times per day for about theee to four days in a row..enjoy the feeling of no leg cramps.....

I've heard of this before, but wow, pucker much....lol