I'm just looking for someone, anyone, to brag a little to.

Options
A little background here; 5(ish) years ago, I was living in a homeless shelter and addicted to a variety of drugs, with heroin/opiates being my main focus. I was lucky, there was a VA counselor at the shelter who talked to me and got me some much needed help. I went through a 12 week drug program, qualified for a small pension, and received housing assistance.

Now, if I'm being honest, the drug program didn't really take, at least not right away. I ended up overdosing twice during my first year in my new home. One of them literally killed me, temporarily. No heartbeat, not breathing. The paramedic said he really thought they weren't going to be able to bring me back. This went on for almost 2 years, but I did finally manage to quit(it's been nearly 3 years.)
A year after quitting, I decided to finally tackle a weight problem that I knew was waaayyyy out of control. I hadn't been on a scale since I became too heavy for the one at the grocery store. I knew it was bad, but even I was shocked when, upon finally going to a doctor, I found out that I'd shrunk nearly 2 inches and weighed a whopping 410.5 pounds. I dunno why, but I found that half pound tacked onto the end there particularly irritating. I would say something like, "I can't believe I weigh 410 pounds!" and I little voice in my head would chime in, "And a half!!"

It was infuriating. That day(Dec 28, 2016) I cleaned out my fridge and haven't looked back since. As of yesterday morning, I'd lost 120 pounds. It took me a while to figure out exactly what I was doing, but I certainly couldn't have done it without this app.

hbb4hmplhb9v.jpg

Replies

• fraukazi
    fraukazi Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress, on the weight and staying clean! Plenty to be proud of and brag about. Keep it up
  • Rach7671
    Rach7671 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Not surprised you want to brag about that, well done on all your achievements!!
  • ellenosteen
    ellenosteen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You must have incredible self-discipline to be able to get off the opiates and then lose 120 (and a half!) pounds! Congratulations to you for both amazing achievements!
  • GammaSmasher71
    GammaSmasher71 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you. From the outside looking in, that would seem to be the case, but I don't FEEL like I have much self-discipline. I dunno, my shrink says that I had a hyper critical upbringing so I tend to pick apart even my successes. As far as my success with both addiction and weight loss, if I knowingly lit my house on fire, should I celebrate if I manage to put it out? Geez, that sounds dark. I really am trying to congratulate myself. That was the whole point of this post. I should probably start by not disagreeing with people who congratulate me. Thanks again, really.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,921 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has that many mountains to climb. You are obviously a very strong person in everyway. Congratulations on "flexing" your muscles and losing both the drugs AND the weight. You look absolutely fantastic.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    So glad you were able to get help, and then were able to help yourself. God bless you! Wonderful progress.
  • contir
    contir Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You wrote: "If I knowingly lit my house on fire, should I celebrate if I manage to put it out?" I think you shouldn't look back at what you were. The fact is, you DID put the fire out. That's what you need to remind yourself of, every day. So, go ahead and brag. Own your achievements. Be proud of yourself. And thanks for sharing with the rest of us. We're proud of you, too!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    That's very impressive. You should brag.
    Thank you. From the outside looking in, that would seem to be the case, but I don't FEEL like I have much self-discipline. I dunno, my shrink says that I had a hyper critical upbringing so I tend to pick apart even my successes. As far as my success with both addiction and weight loss, if I knowingly lit my house on fire, should I celebrate if I manage to put it out? Geez, that sounds dark. I really am trying to congratulate myself. That was the whole point of this post. I should probably start by not disagreeing with people who congratulate me. Thanks again, really.

With regard to the bold....you did it. You didn't stand by and watch the metaphorical house burn down. You didn't run away you ran into the fire and saved yourself really. So as an amateur shrink your professional is right. :) Accept your success for what it is, a gigantic accomplishment that basically saved your life!

ETA: I'm generally known as a susie sunshine and the other day was told I"m so positive I must believe in fairies and elves...I added unicorns too haha i just think we all should praise positives
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration! Don't be ashamed. Hugs
  • Cant_think_of_a_username
    Options
    What a fantastic job - well done and long may it continue.
  • Dixientim
    Dixientim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow that is amazing. Your doing great. Keep up the good work
  • Nicksmom106
    Nicksmom106 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I can't even express how impressed and I'm awe of you...you should and will be proud of all you did or else I will harass you until you do!๐Ÿ˜‰ seriously I have many friends struggling with addiction and you saved yourself which must have been the most frightening and rewarding thing you've ever done! As others said you not only put out your burning house mr. But you did the.demo, cleaned up and built a new house better and stronger than ever!!!๐Ÿ’ช. And now you just need to keep up the maintenance for your amazing house and keep it safe!๐Ÿ™‹id be happy to help of you wanna add me as your friend. I'll even harass you with my many emojis and posts of encouragement!!๐Ÿ˜...er ...maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that last bit๐Ÿ˜ lol
    Big hugs and high fives Mr!
    You rock!!!!๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Ali
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Hot damn! You deserve to sing it from the rooftops. Well done!

Ps. Love you facial hair. Suits you.