What is your personal attitude regarding bathroom scale weights?

Options
This is not really about weight fluctuations but about scale operational fluctuations.

How small of an increment does your scale weigh you in?

Are you maintaining or attempting to change your weight? I would think a person that is maintaining would be slightly more relaxed with minor operational fluctuations.

Do you step on more than once to verify a weight? If so, if it is the next increment higher or lower do you accept it as verified or does it have to be exact?

If you weigh yourself the next day or scheduled check-in and it is one increment higher or lower than the previous day do you consider your weight unchanged or does it have to be exact?

Does your feelings change if it is the whole number that has changed? Is 165.2 and 165.4 the same but 165.0 and 164.8 seem different?

I am losing and have been for some time and I have a ways to go. I consider my weight both verified and unchanged until the scale has moved more than a single increment because I know it is not that precise.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    My scale goes to .1 pounds. I'm working on losing weight. I haven't had the experience of worrying about maintenance fluctuations yet.

My scale has a tendency to "stick" at a weight. I think this was done to avoid fluctuations (it's a weight watchers scale), but it annoys me. I usually pick up something heavy and weigh myself to "reset" the scale and then weigh again to get a more accurate reading. I usually trust that reading.

I weigh myself only once a month. When I was weighing daily, I usually considered .1 change up to be unchanged, and .1 down to be true since I'll take what I can get, lol. I figure it will eventually even out as I continued to log weight. Now that I only weigh myself once a month (and at an ideal time, generally) I am usually down 3-4 pounds and fluctuations don't impact me.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    • I have a digital scale the measures in .5lb increments.
    • I am trying (I use that term pretty loosely here) to lose weight, ideally about 15lbs.
    • I do not take multiple readings. I've used this scale long enough to know that subsequent readings ALWAYS match the initial reading.
    • I log each weigh-in into Libra and monitor my trend weight. if/when that changes, I consider my weight to have changed.
    • I do like my round numbers, so to some degree yes. But it's more like milestones for me. Going from 170.5 to 169.5 is far more significant than going from 171.5 to 170.5.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    My scale measures in increments of 0.2 lbs. I am slowly adding in calories going to maintenance (still in a small calorie deficit). Sometimes I step on a scale more than once to verify, but not usually. If I do step on it more than once to verify, if the first 2 times match, then I consider it accurate. If not, I will do a third time and if the third time matches either number, then I go with that. I try to get 2 consistent readings to consider it accurate. My scale does not have a tendency to stick to a number, it will give a new reading every time.

If my weight goes one increment higher, I do not consider that a weight change. If it goes one increment lower and that is the lowest it has been, then I do consider that a weight change. My feelings do not change if it is a whole number change, unless it is a new low. I weigh daily so I see my fluctuations. My weight fluctuates about 4 pounds total (current range 146-150).
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    My scale goes to 0.1 lb, but I regularly read exactly the same weight every day. So I assume it’s not actually that precise and round to the nearest lb :)
    I am sort of in maintenance, but trying to err in the downward direction rather than upward.
    Just one reading - on the occasions I’ve taken two the second has been exactly the same.
    I consider the increments basically unchanged if I start to read higher before my ToM, or lower afterwards. If it were the other way around, I would regard it as a genuine increase/decrease because my weight is pretty darn stable.
    And there is always a special magic to round numbers :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    • I prefer my scale that measures in .5 lb increments.
    • Right now, I'm working on losing weight as I've gone beyond my comfortable upper limit.
    • I do not step on it more than once.
    • I consider my weight to be whatever the number is on the day when I step on the scale. That is, I log whatever shows up and don't only log when the number is down for two consecutive weigh-ins.
    • That kind of difference doesn't matter to me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My scale measures in 0.2lb increments. I am in limbo right now, still in a bit of a deficit going to transition to maintenance soon. Sometimes I do if I feel I was leaning weird or the weight is odd. I usually take the higher weight when I am losing, lower weight when gaining or an average if I can't decide.
    If my weight goes up/down by an increment the next day I don't consider it until I enter it into Libra and let it decide. If there is a big drop or increase, I also consider what I did the days before (more exercise, food, sodium, no snacks before bed, etc) which can account for it but I don't pay too much attention especially a big change which is typically water.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    My scale measures in kilograms to one decimal point. (xx.x)
    I weigh every day.
    It goes up ... it goes down. Whatever.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    my scale is goes to a tenth of a pound.
    i'm losing weight
    i have learned to step on it so it doesn't change -consistently get the same number.
    my weight is what it is per the scale
    i track here
    i don't mind small differences as it is the overall trend that matters
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    -I get increments of 0.1 lbs
    -Maintaining, since March 2017
    -Just the once. It's an Aria scale and ports on over to my phone and apps that pick it up.
    -Increments within a half pound or so I consider as "the same" but more than that and I usually know the reason why, such as eating more salty foods or more volume than usual
    -I do like seeing 132.9 much better than 133.1
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    0.1lb increments

Focus is: Lowering weight, trying to maintain muscle mass as best as possible in the process with weight lifting.

Usually step on the scale first thing in the morning M-W-F, only record on Wednesday. I accept it as a snap shot in time and not over think it.

I just record whatever weight it shows on Wednesday. Sometimes I'll be 2 lbs down on Monday from the previous week and then only 0.2lbs on Wednesday. I still just record Wednesday.

Mentally the scale only represents a part of the progress to me. Non scale victories such as fitting into clothes I couldn't before, measuring loses with the tape measure and feeling/looking stronger and taking regular pictures capture my entire progress more than just a relative weight at one single point in time.

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    How small of an increment does your scale weigh you in?
    -0.1kg

Are you maintaining or attempting to change your weight?
    - I'm losing

Do you step on more than once to verify a weight? If so, if it is the next increment higher or lower do you accept it as verified or does it have to be exact?
    - My scale often gets moved (normally by my pup) so I often will step on the scale multiple times one after another. Normally 3 times, the first one is often massively different. And then the next two are the same. If it's not the same I keep weighing until it is constant. But that's never more than once or twice. And if I move it, I start it again.

If you weigh yourself the next day or scheduled check-in and it is one increment higher or lower than the previous day do you consider your weight unchanged or does it have to be exact?
    - I don't often consider my weight on a day my day trend. If I'm up 0.2kg or down 0.2kg I consider myself about the same until I'm consistently at (or moving below) a particular weight.
    - So for example, I've had a somewhat unplanned maintenance/very slow loss month this past month. My weight before was mid 67kgs and this morning I weighed in 67.3kg. I consider this about the same weight. If I check my spreadsheet, I can see that I'm actually down about 0.3-ish. However, because of some salty foods over the weekend, I'm probably retaining water, and I've got a couple of other reasons why I could be retaining more water than normal, I'm fairly sure my weight will start to lower soon, but I still consider my weight, currently, to be about the same. I think it's because I think of my weight as being "about" a number, as opposed to an exact number. It'll normally be phrases like "I'm under 68kgs" or "around 67kg" rather than exact numbers when I talking (or thinking) about my weight. The only time I use exact numbers is on my spreadsheets (so I can do analysis on it, because I'm a nerd)

Does your feelings change if it is the whole number that has changed? Is 165.2 and 165.4 the same but 165.0 and 164.8 seem different?
    - Yes, but I work in kilograms, so the difference between whole numbers is greater (1kg=2.2lbs), so getting to a different whole number seems like a greater difference than when using pounds. That being said, when considering fluctuations, I'm unlikely to consistently fluctuate between whole numbers unless I'm very boarderline on that weight and although I celebrate a change of whole number, I don't mentally have myself weighing in that whole number until I have been consistently in it for a few days.
    - (EDIT:) And very much yes when it was getting under 70kg. This is a massive mental barrier for me for a number of reasons including: it's the next weight category down in judo; it's even; a '5' and a '10' number. As humans we see those types of numbers as more important (for some reason); it was also the number that I "thought" of myself as. And I think that 65kg will be a similar mental barrier, for similar, but different reasons.

Another thing that I'm not quite sure where to answer under is that I fluctuate daily, a lot. I rarely have two days when I weight the same thing consistently. I normally fluctuate 0.1-0.5kg, but I have been known to fluctuate up to 1.5kg on special occasions (or rather after them :lol: ) So what this means is that I really don't obsess over little changes in my weight. I'm used to daily change and I've repeatedly said that I find seeing that daily change much better than not being aware of my fluctuations.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have an old freight scale that they use in shipping departments (up to 250 Kg.). It is calibrated and works perfectly. The digital bathroom scale I occasionally use when travelling usually needs to be stepped on 3 times before I get an accurate measurement. It is accurate, but not always the first time.
  • nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Get a quality digital scale that measures in .2 lb increments. Readings should repeat. I also measure daily at the same time. Charting over a few weeks will reveal the trend that's not apparent in daily assessment. Keeping daily tracking helps in maintaining how well my previous day has worked both in calorie intake and exercise.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale that weighs in 0.2 pound increments. I am losing but I am within 8 pounds of my goal so it's slow going. I make sure the scale is level on the tile floor before I weigh myself, and I step on 3 separate times for 2/3 consensus to record weight. I use the Happy Scale app and record my weigh only first thing in the morning when I wake up, but I might weigh myself a couple of times over the course of the day just to see if a particularly grueling workout or huge meal has any effect (I don't record those weights). I don't stress out too much about it when I am out of town and can't weigh on my own scale--I just skip those days and eat sensibly.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    How small of an increment does your scale weigh you in? 0.1lb

Are you maintaining or attempting to change your weight? Losing, but I just spent 2 years either gaining for a pregnancy or maintaining for breastfeeding after 2 years of losing.

Do you step on more than once to verify a weight? Only when I get a whoosh so big it catches me off guard lol

If you weigh yourself the next day or scheduled check-in and it is one increment higher or lower than the previous day do you consider your weight unchanged or does it have to be exact? I weigh daily first thing after going to the bathroom before even a sip of water, and usually at least just in my undies. I log that weight into Libra. Then, on Saturday, whatever my trend is goes into MFP, and every 10lbs I adjust my calorie goal.

Does your feelings change if it is the whole number that has changed? Is 165.2 and 165.4 the same but 165.0 and 164.8 seem different? No, even a .2 loss is a victory.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    My digital scale weighs to 0.2. I don't move it around. I do weigh twice because sometimes it seems like the first weight can be off from "waking" it or whatever but it is pretty consistent after that. if the first two weights are different I weigh a third time and it will match the second and I take that. I am in maintenance now and I am more relaxed about minor fluctuations most of the time. I have been concerned recently as I got close to the top of my range, but I am staying in deficit now and confident it will start moving down to give me more breathing room again and I will be less concerned again.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    How small of an increment does your scale weigh you in? 0.2lbs

Are you maintaining or attempting to change your weight? Losing

Do you step on more than once to verify a weight? Only once unless the number seems really different from expected

If you weigh yourself the next day or scheduled check-in and it is one increment higher or lower than the previous day do you consider your weight unchanged or does it have to be exact? I don't consider the scale itself to be exact or extraordinarily accurate, but it reads very consistently.

Does your feelings change if it is the whole number that has changed? Is 165.2 and 165.4 the same but 165.0 and 164.8 seem different? I weigh daily first thing in the morning. I find that my weight on this scale stays consistent enough that I consider even minor changes to be a change. But I don't necessarily consider minor changes to be worth celebrating or getting upset over, they are just a change. I am much more emotionally invested in changes of 0.6lbs or more.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My scale measures .5 lb increments.
    I have had the scale for a long time through loss and maintaining. Currently working on losing.
    I step on the scale usually 3 times. I record the weight I get the same 3 times in a row. I would accept the weight if it reads .5 lb higher than one reading if other readings say the same.
    I weigh once a week and record what it says. I generally look at my weight change over several weeks to judge progress. If my weight goes up or down .5 lb I don't consider it a big deal. I am more interested if my weight changes by 1 lb or more.