Any healthy takes on comfort food?

Options
2»

Replies

• foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 111 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    this week, I'm looking for recipe entrees with mashed potato; so, as to cut down portion of potates, but still enjoy them. 'pinterest' online is free and has a ton of ideas. I'm trying pork/sauerkraut and Colcannon, a combination of mashed and cabbage, or otherwise combo. Check for low carb foods for suggestions on pinterest search engine and you save them for yourself in files their online site. for breakfast, steel ground oatmeal; make in bulk and freeze in small portions, in small cake pan, for a hearty breakfast, just take out and microwave with a little milk
  • foreverhealthy3
    Options
    there is also an online site that use meat with a combination of other foods, like mushrooms to cut down on high cholesterol meat dishes; and use less meat with other protein for burgers and more. https://blenditarian.com/
  • juliejulie120
    juliejulie120 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash purée (you can buy in a can), seasoned, with a bit of low fat milk or milk alternative makes a nice creamy type pasta sauce, try it on buckwheat noodles
  • foreverhealthy3
    Options
    Dr. Oz had a chef on yesterday, that used a squash sauce recipe for pasta. I need to harvest squash soon and will give your suggestion a try.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    https://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/best-damn-vegan-chili-ever

Someone posted this recipe on MFP and I made it tonight with boca crumbles. It was INCREDIBLE. I made a few tweaks, I used a tablespoon of oil to sauté the veggies, added like 2 teaspoons of sugar and a teaspoon of salt. I'm going to eat it all fall/winter.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A healthier version may be lower sugar, lower calorie or higher in fiber.

I use full fat for some recipes as I found the fat to be a handy carrier for needed vitamins. Besides fat is satiating for me.

Even so I brush my cooking oil on my frying pan, and nothing in our house is deep fried.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I second skinnytaste.com. Not sure why someone woo'ed that post.

Honestly, I made a meatloaf using 85% ground beef after trying hers and I liked the low calorie one much better (I don't use 99% fat free turkey though... 93% is worth the extra calories). Same after ordering something from a restaurant... I liked hers better and it has half the calories.

The only thing is that a lot of my meals just don't turn out as pretty as hers, but really, it's typically just as satisfying as the real thing (her calorie count can be off though). Except dessert... people can lie to themselves as much as they want, substitutes will never replace the real stuff (but you can 'lighten up' some things with lower fat milk if you're not super picky).

The only 'light' dessert that I actually like is a substitute for apple pie - you still use the crust, but only one at the bottom, and put applesauce then apples on it - no extra sugar, no top crust.

And clafoutis is good too. The rest just doesn't measure up.
  • DevinH85
    DevinH85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oven “fried” chicken and cauliflower mash with mushroom brown gravy.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    If it's comfortable food, weigh your portions and account for the calories accurately.
    If it's healthy food, weigh your portions and account for the calories accurately.

There's some doubt in my mind that comfort food is also your idea of healthy.

Yup, or learn to make more calorie/macro friendly versions. Work for some.
  • Shitbagfuckhead
    Shitbagfuckhead Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mike9294 wrote: »
    Does anyone have recipes for healthy versions of comfort food?

Homemade Jelly in wee tupperware pots. About 8 cals each and just nice when needing something sweet.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Homemade Jelly in wee tupperware pots. About 8 cals each and just nice when needing something sweet.
    Jelly and Pots? from across the pond or down under I guess?
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Jelly is now a comfort food?

Maybe if it’s slathered all over a big fluffy biscuit, alongside fried chicken and mashed potatoes... 🤤
  • T0adl1ly
    T0adl1ly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is a comfort dinner.
    Roast Pork - even the kids will eat this

Boneless Pork Loin, trimmed
    Oregano
    Salt
    Pepper
    1 T Grapeseed oil or something for searing. Olive oil will work too. You can play with this to reduce the calories.
    Garlic two or more cloves chopped (you could sub garlic powder)
    1/2 pound or so of chopped tomatoes, cherry tomatoes or peppers or even string beans (which soak up the lemon flavor and will taste like a mild saurkraut)
    1/2 cup or so of wine, any color works
    Juice of one lemon or 2 Tablespoons of vinegar

Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
    1.Coat the roast in the dry condiments (salt, pepper, oregano and if you use it, the garlic powder). Just shake them all around and rub them over the surface.
    2. Heat the oil in a flameproof/oven safe casserole dish that has room for the roast and a little more for the vegetables you choose. Sear the seasoned meat on all sides.
    3. Add the garlic and brown for about 30 seconds or so. You can turn off the heat at this point
    4. Place vegetables (whatever you chose), lemon juice and wine around the meat.
    5. Place dish in oven, uncovered. Add a little water to keep the vegetables from drying out and burning as needed. You can turn and baist the meat from time to time. It should be done in about an hour depending on the size of the roast. 140 to 160 degrees works well, depends on how well done you like it. I like the lower numbers because I like it to be moist. My husband likes it dried out a little to he prefers the higher number. Remember the roast will continue to cook a little after you take it out of the oven to rest 10 minutes.
    6. Slice, put some of the vegetable mixture on top. Serve with vegetable, starch or whatever is appropriate for you. Sauteed apples or pears always goes with pork. You can cook some carrot spears under the pork which will absorb all the flavors and juice from the meat.

• bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »

Jelly is now a comfort food?

Maybe if it’s slathered all over a big fluffy biscuit, alongside fried chicken and mashed potatoes... 🤤

If I'm right and this person is (originally) from across the pond, Jelly is not what we think of as jelly (i.e. Grape Jelly), but Gelatin (i.e. Cherry Gelatin)... Holding off on using the registered trade-mark brand we think of that uses a different last letter after "Jell...." Not Y.

But I like your thought process... :):p
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My comfort foods are typically soups and stews, etc...for the most part, they are pretty low calorie.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    Here's a lower calorie version of mac and cheese.

Stretch the pasta with some diced courgette or cooked cauliflower.

For the cheese sauce instead of making bechamel flavoured with a lot of grated hard cheese, blitz low fat cottage cheese with a more modest quantity of grated hard cheese in the food processor.

Pour cheese sauce onto the mac/veg mixture in a casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs and more grated hard cheese. Bake in the oven until the cheese sauce is bubbling and the topping has browned.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I was in Walmart today and saw there are all sorts of vegtable "pasta" and potato offerings in the frozen foods section. Green Giant and Byrd's eye have several items.