Eating out in the UK and handling holiday cheats.

Options
Hey all...

I am a seasoned traveler, but at the same time I don't usually concentrate on a plan when traveling. It was easy when I was in Japan years ago, but I never thought about it in England. I started going through my head the types of things I normally eat, and perhaps I should just not worry while visiting. Still, I think I want to try to stay somewhat on track. Any recommendations for places over there that serve reasonably healthy meals that are good? I'll primarily be in the West Midlands, but anything even outside that area would be appreciated (Northwest, East Midlands, etc....).

My planned potential cheats include The Frankfurt Christmas Market I won't worry about too much as that is a celebration day, Fish and Chips one night, a Donner, and a Cheese and Onion Pasty when I arrive. On that line, What would everyone recommend for allowing some cheats (other than don't do it... ;) ).... Cram a lot into one day, or spread them out with the idea that you should be able to stay under a maintenance caloric intake that day (the approach I was considering). My recent recalculated caloric goal for 1.5 lbs/week is 1670, and maintenance is around 2400 when I checked, so I was thinking go to maintenance mode and should be ok on calories. I feel that since I'm eating less cramming too much in one day may be counter-productive, not to mention harder to do for me. Opinions?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'm a seasoned traveller too and regardless of which restaurants/pubs we go to I will choose whatever I fancy eating, if the portion is big I will leave half of it. Or I will just have the appetiser. I aim for maintenance cals or slightly above it knowing when I return home I can sort the meagre few pounds gain that will happen.

Some chain restaurants will have the calorie content posted on the menu, the majority probably wont so I would just say make healthier choices or watch the portion size.

At the end of the day the vacation will only be a short period in time when you will be eating more than usual, once you're back to normality then you can address any gain by getting back to calorie deficit again.

Hopefully you will get some good feedback on restaurants.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    tams_89 wrote: »
    If you like Caribbean food I would recommend Turtle Bay

Love it.... They seem to be all over the place. May give this a try. Thanks!

Appreciate advice on more places as well.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am a meat lover and I go here whenever I am in Birmingham. You get as much salad veg from the buffet as you like then you are given a card that you place on the table if the card is green side up the waiters will stop at your table and carve off whichever meat they have on the skewer. This can be beef, lamb, chicken, pork, sausage etc. Once you have had enough you turn your card over to show you don't want anymore meat. You can eat as much as you like for a set price.

Just to be clear I do not count calories while I am in carnivore mode. :)

Hope you have a lovely stay here in the UK.

https://www.rodiziorico.com/rodiziorico/our-menu/birmingham.php
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I am a meat lover and I go here whenever I am in Birmingham. You get as much salad veg from the buffet as you like then you are given a card that you place on the table if the card is green side up the waiters will stop at your table and carve off whichever meat they have on the skewer. This can be beef, lamb, chicken, pork, sausage etc. Once you have had enough you turn your card over to show you don't want anymore meat. You can eat as much as you like for a set price.

Just to be clear I do not count calories while I am in carnivore mode. :)

Hope you have a lovely stay here in the UK.

https://www.rodiziorico.com/rodiziorico/our-menu/birmingham.php

That is like Fogo De Chao in the States. Omg That place is amazing! Definitely a once in a blue moon treat because you'll feel like one big grain of salt the next day. :D
  • bigbandjohn
    Options
    Love Brazilian steakhouse but not sure about it this trip. Still, Ill ask my friends. Thanks. Anything else? Anyone?
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I’m not near Birmingham but in the UK we are generally big fans of Indian food and I believe Birmingham is the home of the Balti so I would look up recommended Balti houses if that’s your thing.

Otherwise I would say find a nice hotel that does a classic English Afternoon Tea, just for the experience. Done properly it is a full meal so can replace lunch or dinner. Finger sandwiches and/or savoury pastries, scones with jam and clotted cream, patisserie mini cakes. All with pots of tea or champagne if you’re feeling fancy.

Oh, and a full English breakfast done well is worth a try too.

Enjoy your trip!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    I’m not near Birmingham but in the UK we are generally big fans of Indian food and I believe Birmingham is the home of the Balti so I would look up recommended Balti houses if that’s your thing.

Otherwise I would say find a nice hotel that does a classic English Afternoon Tea, just for the experience. Done properly it is a full meal so can replace lunch or dinner. Finger sandwiches and/or savoury pastries, scones with jam and clotted cream, patisserie mini cakes. All with pots of tea or champagne if you’re feeling fancy.

Enjoy your trip!

I would second both of these things.

Plus a toby carvery for a proper Sunday roast!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options

100% this! British Indian Restaurant food is very distinctive and you will be staying in one of the best places to sample it.

• firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Ahhh nooo not Toby Carvery though... go to a proper pub! :)
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bodega Bar and Cantina in Birmingham is excellent. Also totally agree with the Indian suggestion. Enjoy!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

Enjoy your trip!

I would second both of these things.

Yes! And you can go back for second helpings!!
  • AndyWR72
    AndyWR72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you are going to Cheat I highly recommend Original Patty Men. They serve the best (in my opinion) Burgers in the UK. You can find them on Shaws Passage near to the Bullring.
    Also check out Digbeth Dining Club, its on every Friday and serves fantastic street food.
  • bigbandjohn
    Options
    Catching up here.....

Enjoy your trip!

May try a Balti house. I'm actually staying with a friend... I've done the Afternoon tea and Full English before. Looking for more healthier options to somewhat stay on track....

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt... ;)

I probably should of explained that I have been to a few places before in the area.
    firlena227 wrote: »
    Ahhh nooo not Toby Carvery though... go to a proper pub! :)

Oh, my buddy knows the good pubs in Walsall, where I'll be staying... ;) I should also mention I will be going to the Frankfurt Christmas Market one night as well. That's a splurge night.
    Bodega Bar and Cantina in Birmingham is excellent. Also totally agree with the Indian suggestion. Enjoy!

I will check it out. Since your name is "veggie" can I assume they have some good veggie meals?
    AndyWR72 wrote: »
    If you are going to Cheat I highly recommend Original Patty Men. They serve the best (in my opinion) Burgers in the UK. You can find them on Shaws Passage near to the Bullring.
    Also check out Digbeth Dining Club, its on every Friday and serves fantastic street food.

Digbeth sounds interesting. May try it on the Friday evening I'm there (I'll be in Lincoln earlier that day to my favorite tea shop). I was to another burger place before in Birmingham near that area. I thought it could be them, but looking online at the location it wasn't. If I decide to get a burger, I will definitely check them out.

I plan on having at least one splurge over there around the day of the Christmas market visit. I think the Balti house can be a day when I don't splurge. Any other non-splurge places?

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    (I'll be in Lincoln earlier that day to my favorite tea shop).

Oh! Which Tea Shop? We visit Lincoln annually and are always interested in Tea and Cake ;)

• veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am vegetarian and really enjoyed it. My hubby and daughter were with me (both meat eaters) and they really enjoyed the food. Plenty of choice, fresh and wholesome. I’m Irish but we head over annually for an event and always make the effort to dine there.

I will check it out. Since your name is "veggie" can I assume they have some good veggie meals?

• bigbandjohn
    Options

Oh! Which Tea Shop? We visit Lincoln annually and are always interested in Tea and Cake ;)

Imperial Teas of Lincoln. Ben opened in 1991, and I was one of his first customers. To be fair, it's not a "tea and cake" type of tea shop, but a place to buy Tea and Coffee. I think he may have been opening a place on the lower level, and I think he had that at his old place, but not sure about the current. There's 2 tea rooms up the Steep Hill from him, and at least one down the Steep Hill from him.

I haven't been there in 2 years and over 200 lbs ago, and am looking forward to my visit in a few weeks. Hope he recognizes me. :smiley:
  • bigbandjohn
    Options
    Yes, I am vegetarian and really enjoyed it. My hubby and daughter were with me (both meat eaters) and they really enjoyed the food. Plenty of choice, fresh and wholesome. I’m Irish but we head over annually for an event and always make the effort to dine there.

Awesome. If you're from Ireland, I will say I loved my visit a couple years ago. Dohoney and Nesbitt in Dublin had some of the best chowder and chips I've ever had. Was there for a wedding during the Irish Football championships. Fun to watch.

Now back to our regularly scheduled conversation... :lol:
  • bigbandjohn
    Options

Imperial Teas of Lincoln. Ben opened in 1991, and I was one of his first customers. To be fair, it's not a "tea and cake" type of tea shop, but a place to buy Tea and Coffee. I think he may have been opening a place on the lower level, and I think he had that at his old place, but not sure about the current. There's 2 tea rooms up the Steep Hill from him, and at least one down the Steep Hill from him.

I haven't been there in 2 years and over 200 lbs ago, and am looking forward to my visit in a few weeks. Hope he recognizes me. :smiley:

OK. Been there. I can say that there is a "Tea Shop" below the tea shop, and they serve his teas! You can go there and get a cup of tea and some cakes. In fact, if you go upstairs and see a tea you like, I'm sure they could make a cup for you downstairs.

Many improvements have been made at the shop. They now have small tins for testing and the tea is pre-packed and measured. You can open the tin and check the aroma yourself without staff help, as well as not wait for them to measure tea every time you want to buy. They have been so busy lately, it makes their job easier since it was hard to take care of so many customers at the same time. Ben also added a new flavor this year. He does a "cola" tea. I bought some and it's actually quite good. It smells wonderful. You may want to sweeten it, but I would suggest trying it. He is quite proud of it, and rightfully so.

Tried it. Not as spicy as I usually get, but very good. Would have it again.

Won't go into all the details, but had a great time. Thanks for everyone's input.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Nandos is predominantly grilled chicken, healthy and tasty.
    Harvester is more varied and mass-market pub grub they have a help yourself salad bar with every meal, and there are also several healthier options on the menu including salmon and grilled chicken, and I will give you extra veg instead of chips/ fries.
    Frankie and Benny's have introduced a healthy range of meals into their menu which are quite nice.
    Shish kebab are much healthier than dinner
    Beefeater have a number of meals which are quite healthy if you swap the chips out for salad.