New friends... already feel like giving up

Options
its only been a 8 days but I am always within my goal, I am exercising and I gained 2lb..I dont get why I am not losing :(

Replies

• shubieca
    shubieca Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not lying to myself or Fitness pal ! I am doing the exercise and calorie restriction the way I should, was on here in 2013 and did exactly the same thing and lost 75lb but since becoming Hypoglycemic and my Thyroid quitting on me 30 lb of the the weight came back on last year... working really hard at this :(
  • eccentricplaza
    eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    shubieca wrote: »
    I am definitely not lying to myself or Fitness pal ! I am doing the exercise and calorie restriction the way I should, was on here in 2013 and did exactly the same thing and lost 75lb but since becoming Hypoglycemic and my Thyroid quitting on me 30 lb of the the weight came back on last year... working really hard at this :(

Only measure yourself once a week and preferably in the morning after you used the bathroom and before eating or drinking. If you measure with food and water in your system versus your emptiest weight it’s going to look like you’re failing when you’re not. It’s food and water not bodyfat.
  • Tsbboo
    Tsbboo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    shubeica I feel for you I too am reactive hypoglycemic and have to keep eating or I don't feel well. I have lost any weight just trying to manage my calories so I make good choices and hope for the best
  • shubieca
    Options
    Mike I lost 75lb before and kept it off for nearly 4 years so I know I can do it it is just so frustrating, I have bad hips so walking is a challenge but I do it everyday pain or not , my Dr would fit out if he knew but I have to lose this weight (For me)
  • shubieca
    Options
    The Profile pic is me last August at my wedding I have since gained 17lb
  • shubieca
    Options
    Tsboo I only Have a Atkins shake for lunch 160 calories but I am going to try skipping lunch altogether, hopefully my sugar wont drop..fingers crossed
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    its only been a 8 days but I am always within my goal, I am exercising and I gained 2lb..I dont get why I am not losing :(

Fluctuation is normal. I fluctuate as much as 5 lbs in a week. It's frustrating. Perhaps the exercising is building muscle mass which is good.

If I gave up when I did that, I would not be down as much as I am. It's hard. It's frustrating, but the end reward is worth it. Sometimes your body will fight lack of calories. Perhaps you cut back too far? What did you set your goal for (i.e. 1 lb/week, bare minimum calorie intake for you, etc....)

• shubieca
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have set it at 1200 calories a day
  • Tsbboo
    Tsbboo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    im usually at about 1900 calories a day my sugar crashes on less and Im starving haven't gained weight on it. I recently discovered that im lactose intolerant so gave up dairy as it wasn't helping me anyway
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not lying to myself or Fitness pal !

I didn't see where anyone suggested this. It's been one week. A person's body weight is not a stationary thing- it's constantly fluctuating for various reasons. Sometimes those fluctuations mask fat loss. Wait 4-6 weeks to get a true picture of what's going on. If you started exercising just this past week, that's likely the culprit in this particular fluctuation. Your body retains extra water for muscle repair when you begin a new exercise routine.

BTW, 1200 calories is likely too steep and unnecessary for you, and is asking a lot for the long haul :( Did you enter your stats in MFP and choose a reasonable weekly weight loss goal (only 2 lbs/week if quite obese)?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    jdsass82 wrote: »
    Only eating 1200 calories might be too low for you. There are lots of people who put on weight when they are eating too little.

This is factually incorrect. Fat isn't created in a calorie deficit.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    First off eating too little will not put you into starvation mode and make you gain weight. That is an urban legend but eating too little will make you frustrated and unable to maintain a diet. It sounds like you are only trying to lose 17 pounds? Your goal for the rate of loss should be .5 to 1 pound a week. Patience grasshopper, lol. I understand that after a week of working at it you would be frustrated not only to see no loss but to see a gain! If you are sure you are on track with your calories it is likely a temporary water gain.

If you aren't weighing your food I would suggest you do that. When you don't have alot to lose it makes it very important to be meticulously accurate. I lost alot of weight but the closer I got to my goal the harder losing was because the gap is so much smaller.

Everyone will eventually lose if they are in a caloric deficit. Our metabolisms are all slightly different so we lose at different rates but no matter how you slice it if you are burning more than you are eating your weight will eventually go down.

Keep going, trust me, it's worth it all in the end.