weightloss and breastfeeding

Options
Any advice for how to count calories while breastfeeding? Do I continue counting as normal or should I factor in extra calories for breastfeeding? Can I take any calories off because of breastfeeding?

And my 6 month old baby is 100% breastfed right now. So, I do about 6-7 feedings a day, 2-3 at night.

Thanks!

Replies

• STARSHINE1975
    Options
    From what I remember, you need to consume 500 more calories to account for breast feeding. So if your calorie intake is normally 1200 cals, it would now be 1700 cals. If you aren't taking in enough calories, your body won't produce enough milk.

You should ask your doctor ultimately.
  • lvigue
    lvigue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I breastfed 3 babies and when I went to Weight Watchers they said that it burned at least 500 extra calories per day. I would not suggest going under 1800 calories (without added exercise) and definetly take your prenatal vitamins :)
    I would give a quick call to maybe your OB and verify....

Good luck!
  • hunterzmomma
    Options
    in thefood section type in "breastfeeding" and a few options will come up to add extra calories
  • swoglom
    swoglom Posts: 8
    Options
    There's an item in the food database that you can add to your food diary each day. It's called "Breastfeeding - Exclusively, 1 day" and it's worth 500 calories (or I should say, -500 calories). I just add it to my food diary manually each day to increase my calorie allowance. I created my own category for my breastfeeding "allowance", but you could also just put it under Snacks or Breakfast, whatever. You can also do a calorie quick-add and use a negative number. There may be some trial and error involved, especially as your baby starts solids and your calorie needs decrease.
  • hannahcf
    hannahcf Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am breastfeeding but my baby is over a year, so I don't worry too much - I certainly seem to be producing plenty of milk, without eating loads of extra calories. I aim to keep my calorie count reasonably low through the day, with sensible portions of low-fat food (3 meals and 2 snacks) and then in the evening after he has finished feeding, and I've done any exercise I'm going to do, I have some healthy snacks, according to my appetite - this evening I've had 3 snacks but I have breastfed quite a lot today and done a zumba class! Anyway, I am certainly not going hungry, which is obviously the advantage of eating mainly low-fat foods - you can eat more of it.

I know your situation is different as your baby is younger, so you should probably eat back at least some of the 500 or so calories she is taking. However, when I trained as a breastfeeding counsellor I remember being told that you would have to be severely malnourished before your milk supply is affected. I think a low-fat diet is fine - I certainly feel my baby is welcome to help himself to my fat stores! - but make sure you are eating a really good range of vitamins and minerals (and/or supplement) as the baby will take what she needs and you want to make sure there's some left for you.

Sorry if this is a bit rambling - you got me on my favourite subject here! Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
  • 2girlymama
    Options
    There's an item in the food database that you can add to your food diary each day. It's called "Breastfeeding - Exclusively, 1 day" and it's worth 500 calories (or I should say, -500 calories). I just add it to my food diary manually each day to increase my calorie allowance. I created my own category for my breastfeeding "allowance", but you could also just put it under Snacks or Breakfast, whatever. You can also do a calorie quick-add and use a negative number. There may be some trial and error involved, especially as your baby starts solids and your calorie needs decrease.

Thanks for that - I was hoping there would be this option! It will be some guess work when she starts solids. But we'll figure it out!
  • Jkw2683
    Jkw2683 Posts: 1
    Options
    Kellymom.com has really good info about this!